Home AOMEI Products Support

SYNC Folder only does partial sync

I have set up AOMEI BackUpper Standard to sync two folders. The source folder consists of some 18,768 image files contained in some 500 or so subfolders.

AOMEI at first was really doing well; but, it only copied/synced a very few sub-folders and then stated that the backup was successful; when in fact it was less than five % successful.

I have it set to run every hour; and, it has now ran three times and has only synced those same few sub-folders, ignoring the all the other of sub-folders.

How do I fix this; or, should I just start again from the beginning ?

Have I given it a task too large for it to perform ?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Since my above posting, I have closed all programs, restarted the computer, and assigned AOEMI BackUpper a new one-time sync task with new name.

It did an exact repeat performance of my previous attempts, copying the exact same four sub-folders as previously.

It knows there are more, because it displays the correct file count for the entire job.

Please help.

• edited January 2017

Sorry for the inconvenience. What is your source and destination, it is local disk or NAS?

Please send us the screenshot of the folder list in the source folder and the destination folder so that we can find the problem.

• Both source disk and destination disk are 3.0 USB connected to the same machine.

Since my last posting, I created a new empty root folder in the source drive and have been dragging one next-level batch of sub-folders into it at a time, pressing "sync now" with each addition; for the first few sub-folders, it recognized each new addition and successfully copied it to the destination.

Then, after successfully copying six sub-folders and contents (one at a time remember), on the next batch, it only copied about half of the folders with no images inside, just empty folders.

Is there a size limit as to what it can handle ? 

Thanks for reading.

• There is no limitation. please try to re-sync again manully to check if you can do it sucessfully.

• Three more times, I have started all over from the beginning, even lightening the load considerably.

BackUpper does pretty good for the first five hundred or so files, then it starts leaving several files out of some folders, creating many folders with no files in them whatsoever; and then, it will just quit and say that the task was completed successfully when it is a long way from actually being done.

Another thing I have learned; BackUpper does not like Adobe PSD files; it has corrupted several of my PSD files to the point of being unusable in the source folders and not copyed them to the destination.

When I discovered it was corrupting a portion of the PSD files, I set it to ignore them, hoping it might then work properly without them; while it now skips the PSD files, it still only does about a tenth of the task and quits.

This is version 3.5.0.0

Could I have received a corrupted download that is causing this?

Thank you for helping.

• It cannot sync the PSD file and corrupt it? What is the error message you get when you open this file in the source? Please try to download the latest 4.0.2 to try the sync again.

• Okay, I installed the new version and put it to the same synchronizing task as before.

It did a whole lot better and got a whole lot farther along than before, yet it still completely ignored 52 sub-folders in a very random fashion.

After discovering that the earlier version was corrupting some of my PSD files, I had set it to skip the PSD files; although it appears that this newer version has taken that ability away, the setting carried over on this particular task.

I have not yet taken time to perform a random inspection of my PSD files to see if anymore were corrupted this time.

Is there any way I can force the program to acknowledge the sub-folders that it skipped and include them in the same destination folder as the rest of the task?

This would be a wonderful program if I could trust it to do a complete job.

Thanks for reading.

• For creating system images and system back-ups, I believe AOMEI BackUpper is a very good program and recommend it to anyone.

So far as synchronization of files is concerned, it is a good program for handling small volumes of maybe a few hundred files in less than twenty or so sub-folders; but, my experiences with it handling large volumes of files scattered through a many-sub-foldered tree are less than stellar.

After wasting many hours trying to figure out why AOMEI BackUpper was having so many issues in synchronizing my files, randomly corrupting PSD files, randomly copying folders but not putting any files in them, randomly skipping sub-folders, and saying the task was completed successfully when it hadn't accomplished maybe 20% of the job, I finally gave up in frustration and searched for another product.

I found and installed the free program "Synchredible"

Although the interface was tough for my poor brain to understand, I left all the many options set at default and put Synchredible to the exact same task that I had been trying to accomplish with BackUpper.

Three hours, twelve minutes, and fifty two seconds later, Synchredible reported the mission accomplished; 18,757 files in 897 sub-folders duplicated onto my back-up drive with no compression.

In this monumental task, Synchredible flagged seven files as not copyable and printed a sheet listing those seven files by name and location.

One thing that I really like about Synchredible that I could not figure out how to program BackUpper to do is to synchronize an already existing destination folder that already has many files and sub-folders; the way BackUpper works is that it creates a new root folder within the destination folder and therefore one cannot build upon an already existing structure; at least I could not figure out how to do so.

I really wanted BackUpper to work for me, and I gave it a gallant effort to do so, as it is so much easier to understand and set up; and, I honestly believe BackUpper would be wonderful at synchronizing much smaller tasks.

This experience may be unique to me; however, I believe that, at least in my case, BackUpper has some serious bugs that need be addressed before that it can handle large volume jobs. 

Thanks for reading.

• Sorry for the inconvenience. Please trust us, we will solve it for you and also thanks again for your support. Please send us the whole log folder in the installation to us. We will check it.

• Where do I find this log folder and how do I send it to you ?

Thanks.

• Sorry. You can find it in the installation directory.