Home AOMEI Products Support

Restoring a system backup which includes 2 physical hard drives

edited November 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello. I'm new to the forum.

I have a 250G SSD (disk 0)  and 500G HD (disk 1). I have Windows 7 installed. Disk 0 contains 2 partitions i.e. 100MB (and (C:) everything else except the User folder and the ProgramData folder, which are on the disk i.e. D: So my system spans 2 physical drives. The actual data on the SSD is 25GB and on the HD is 10GB.

Since the System Backup did not include my D: drive, I did a Disk Backup and selected both drives.

Restore attempt #1

When I restored my disc 0 image to a smaller drive i.e. 120GB HD, I noticed that the small partition instead of being 100MB was now 612MB. I was curious why that happened. I was expecting the partition to be 100MB.

Restore attempt #2

When I restored my disc 0 image to a bigger drive i.e. 500GB HD, I noticed that the small partition instead of being 100MB was now 99MB. I was curious why that happened. I was expecting the partition to be 100MB.

Both attempts were done on hard drives which contained a single partition and were formatted.

I'm just want to understand why in both cases partition was not restored to the original 100MB

Thank you,

Comments

• Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

• Do you get the same results when restoring to a drive that is RAW, which is a drive that contains no partitions at all?

Have you checked out the lay-out of the partitions after the restore with a partitioning program like AOMEI Partition Assistant?

• @richr, when you try to restore the disk backup, is the system bootable?You restore to another new location or the orignal location? Hope you can send us the screenshot of the disk management of the source disk, we need to know the disk layout very clearly.