Home AOMEI Products Support

Aomeibackupper copies not all files.

2»

Comments

• Another detail is the "SoftwareDistribution" folder because when restoration is necessary, the operating system says it was never installed updates

• We are not so clear for what you say. You want to do the restore.

Is that file backup? systembackup?

• Also in the system backup the folder "SoftwareDistribution" all that is in it is not supported.

If you deleted the key to print all files will see included in the backup. If today I update Windows Update and here five days perform a system restore, it will show today's date that Windows Update has been updated. (This is deleted a photo key)

• edited March 2016

>>If you deleted the key to print all files will see included in the
    backup. If today I update Windows Update and here five days perform a
    system restore, it will show today's date that Windows Update has been
    updated. (This is deleted a photo key)<<

The grey marked is not understood. What did you delete, suggest you write its exact precise name?

• This key does not allow it back up the folder in question. So when a restore even the operating system being upgraded all he says he was never installed is required nothing

• edited March 2016

I don't understand because your english is poor.  say it please in brazilian so I can translate using google. Or I might ask people knowing brazilian.

• Essa chave do
    registro não permite realizar backup da pasta
    “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution” então quando o Windows é
    necessário uma restauração de backup de imagem o sistema
    operacional, diz que nunca foi instalado nenhuma atualização.
    (Windows Update)

É necessário
    baixar o arquivo “DataStore.edb” que se encontra dentro da pasta
    “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore”.

Agora se ela for
    excluída, sim o arquivo “DataStore.edb” é feito o backup.

Não sei inglês. O
    que sei são poucas palavras.

This registry key does not perform backup of the folder "C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution" then when Windows is necessary to restore a backup image of the operating system, says that was never installed no update. (Windows Update) it is necessary to download the file "DataStore.edb" that is within the folder "C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDataStore". Now if you delete it, yes the file "DataStore.edb" is backed up. I do not know English. What I know are few words.

• In the picture I think it will be well explained

• Is it that you do the system restore and the upgrade of the Window is not usable?

• Restoration works, but is required to download the file Datastore.edb again.

This compportamento no longer happens with Aomei Recovery Key

• edited September 2016

Have you taken any steps to enable the backup of OST files?  This is frustrating! Still not backing up in v.3.5.  Is it time to buy another vendors offerings?  FULL backup should be FULL backup!

• Sorry, the software cannot support to backup the OST file currently.

• edited September 2016

I understand why now and it's not necessarily an AOMEI issue. However, it is because you're using MS Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and it in turn references settings in the registry that by default are coded to ignore specific things including OST files.  I'm not sure how you're referencing the VSS registry keys in your application, but perhaps this would be of assistance assuming you're using parameters for VSS: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa819132(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&amp;MSPPError=-2147217396

In any event, I've managed to circumvent the issue of OST files not being backed up and my backup now does what I expected it to do.  There are other files also being ignored and perhaps some may want to research those also. The following should be useful to others that wish to have their OST (and other files) included in the backup jobs.

CAUSE:

Details can be found here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb891959(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&amp;MSPPError=-2147217396

SOLUTION:

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

1. Run REGEDIT
        2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot
        3. Delete the entry for OutlookOST
        4. Restart the AOMEI windows service (not sure if this is required, but I did it all the same)

NOTE: I'm running Windows 10 64-bit anniversary edition in conjunction with AOMEI backup pro v3.5

• Thanks for your suggestions. We will discuss this solutions with the technicians carefully. Thanks again.

• September 14 yabedude wrote "FULL backup should be FULL backup!"

I fully agree with that. That's why backing up an OS partition should only be done by (sector based) imaging.

I'm using for some time your Backupper Standard software and until recently, I was very satisfied about this program. But a few weeks ago I was missing at my laptop the Windows Update History and the last search date. After I had found that these data are stored at the SoftwareDistribution\DataStore location, I have explored many images and the files in that (sub) folder are missing there. So, after restoring an image, the WU History data are gone.

I have used v3.2 and after updating recently, v3.5 too.
    My system is Win 7 Pro
    I have installed Backupper also at my desktop (where I use for years an old version of Acronis TrueImage) and made a full backup. After mounting I have seen that DataStore is OK.

After booting the other OS (at my laptop), I copied as a test that folder (with content) to another location (I choose \Program Files) and made (after booting Win7) a new full backup. After mounting, the copy is OK, but the original folders are empty.
    Starting Backupper as Administrator gives the same wrong result.

I make always diff backups (and, of course, sometimes a full), but after making a new full and then an incremental the result is still the same.

Note. After a restore, the system starts restoring log files and rebuilding DataStore.edb, but the WU History don't come back. However, missing these data is not catastrophic because the Installed data are OK (and more important). But at this moment, I don't trust anymore the reliability of the Backupper Standard software for the fully 100%.

So, I start looking and searching for information about what I could or should do to solve this problem. And here I found information that worried me a lot. I'm not a super expert, but I don't understand why some files are skipped.

As a test and possible work-around I've made a (differential) backup by using the bootable USB-stick with Backupper (the same way as I use for restoring). Well, it's a little inconvenient compared to the normal way, but the mounted image shows what I wanted to see. Strange is that the diff image size is only 75 MB greater than the file size of the "regular" backup because DataStore.edb is 1124 MB (plus 20 MB in the Logs folder).
    After restoring this backup, the DataStore folder looks immediately OK. So, I think that this way of making the backup is a good work-around for the missing files problem. And in the near future after some Windows Updates, I will check after a backup and restore if the WU History is still OK.

• edited November 2016

cdgmol, look at what sidrick, entry #19, wrote. It is correct, look at the registry. Software distribution is mentioned there.

A backup started from USB does not use that registry entry so it backups all the files.

I see a lot of discussions above about editing the registry. Like #44.

List of files that won't be backed up listed here.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

• edited November 2016

I don't know why Microsoft developers has created lists of FilesNotToBackup, FilesNotToSnapshot and KeysNotToRestore. But I and, I think, most users of imaging backup software, want be able to restore the OS partition exactly as it was when the backup was made.

And why are that files not skipped in the backups  of Win7 Pro at my desktop (made by AOMEI Backupper and Acronis TrueImage)? That Registry contains that exception lists too, but I'm very glad that they are ignored at that system (I use very most).

• edited November 2016

Note. Maybe that the file exceptions are necessary for the Windows Restore/Recovery options, but that are file based processes. I have never used that kind of (IMHO unreliable) restore systems.

Is there anybody that has used that recovery system when Windows did not start (properly) anymore? image

• edited November 2016

I just tested adding some files and folders to the FilesNotToSnapshot registry entry. And yes Aomei respects those entries. So that is a convenient way to exclude files from the backup. 

e.g. 

f:\nb1\nb1.txt

f:\nb2\*.* /s

• edited November 2016

After editing the 'FilesNotToSnapshot' keys in the Registry, the backups contain now DataStore too. So, I can make backups the convenient way as in the past.

• edited November 2016

If you do a restore of an old backup including .ost files wouldn't those old .ost files conflict with the present state of Oulook accounts in case the mailboxes of these accounts had changed since the backup?

So wouldn't it indeed be wiser for the average user to not include .ost files in a backup? After a restore these files are recreated by Office.

The same goes for the DataStore. Be very careful to not mess up your WindowsUpdate configuration...

The exception list that MS made is present in the register for a reason!

• The perfect solution for this case is to have the possibility to change the excluded list from the application settings, at least for OST files.
    Also, a warning it will be welcome when a full backup is ready to be made..

• Hi Testerics,
    Thanks for your suggestion. We will submit it to our dev team.