Home AOMEI Products Support

A quick question about system backups and recovery

ok I just had my c drive crash ,and about a month ago I had made a clone of that drive that I tested and booted fine....so what I did to test recovery was made 2 images from the clone drive .1 was a system image and other was a drive image ....now the system image was able to recover the c drive perfectly except for the fact it had 2 other small partitions including the efi partition....now I tried the disk image ,and the c drive was not bootable but had the correct partitions,,,,so I assume that only the system image file will create a bootable os drive plus the efi partition but doesn't overwrite the drive?....now if I had deleted all the partitions before restoring the system image I would have one efi partition and one os partition?......basically I'm asking when doing a image that can boot a corrupt os drive always use the system image...and for a clone drive use a system clone or a drive clone ....? Which one will boot from the clone ...I forgot which one I used ,but it does work fine ...I could have even recloned the corrupt os drive from the working clone drive ? That would have only brought over only two partitions?...but the restore was painless and stress free,that's what u want when working on a restore with many programs and things installed...if I had to rebuild that os drive it would have taken me 2 months easy!!! Good stuff......

Comments

• 1. Yes, when you do the system restore,maybe you will have two UEFI partitions. Because there is one in that disk. When you do the restore, you just choose one partition as the destionation, after finish the restore, you will get a new one UEFI partition in that disk. So you need to delete the old one first and then do the restore. We are happy you can boot it from this system backup image.

2. For the disk backup. Normally, if you do the disk backup and after you restore it, you can boot the system. But maybe there is something wrong. What is the error message you get when you boot?

3."I could have even recloned the corrupt os drive from the working clone drive ? That would have only brought over only two partitions?...but the restore was painless and stress free,that's what u want when working on a restore with many programs and things installed...if I had to rebuild that os drive it would have taken me 2 months easy!!! "

You can solve it in this way.

Step 1. restore the disk backup, and ten you will get the disk you backup, right? but the system cannot boot.

Step2. Create the bootable medai with Partition Assistant to delete th eUEFI partition in  restored disk.

Step3. restore the system backup.

Finally, you will get the system bootable and the application is also useful.

• edited September 2016

do a disk restore, and then go into Utilities Windows command shell, type

bcdboot c:\windows /L en-US

And note, that the drive letter of your windows drive might be different in the restore environment. You find the right drive letter by doing dir c:, dir d: dir e: and so until and recognize which contains your Windows.