Home Suggestions and Feedbacks

Unable to explore image created on NAS

Sorry if this is a repost, but the "authnum" error has caught me, too.

I managed to successfully create a disk backup on a NAS using Backupper. I ran a check image successfully on the backup as well. When I try to explore the backup, Backupper creates a virtual disk drive (I specified Y:) as expected. However, when I try to open it in windows explorer, I get an error message that "Y:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready." As a test, I did the same backup on a local hard drive and was able to successfully explore the backup. Has anyone successfully explored a backup on a NAS using version 1.6 of Backupper?

Comments

• edited December 2013

Hello justin,

Welcome to our forum. We are so sorry for the problem you encountered, we already know what the probable reason is. But currently we don't have effecient way to solve it, you have to copy the image file to locate disk and then mount it. Sorry for the inconvenience, we will fix it in the next version. 

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• I just experienced exactly the same problem when trying to explore my first backup on a NAS. Meantime we are using Backupper version 2.2, but still not any fix in sight yet?

• Okay this was an old thread, but I am experiencing the same problem on a Synology NAS device here in September of 2015.   Has this issue not been fixed yet.   I was able to mount a backup created on a locally attached USB drive, but cannot browse the image(s) created on my NAS device.  Moving multi-Gigabytes around in order to mount and restore is not really an option.

Please advise.

• robcron,

What the error message is when you explore an image on the NAS?

• edited February 2016

I'm having the same problem here using a Synology NAS.  The Windows error says "Location not avaliable" in the title bar, Red X icon and the messages "O:\ is not accessable" and "The device is not ready."  This is in Windows Explorer.

Backupper Standard 3.2.  PC is running Windows 10 and the NAS is a Synology 214se.  The backup file I'm trying to mount is just under 1 TB in size.

• Sorry for that, this is the small problem of our product. Mybe we will fix it in the next version.

• It's hardly a "small problem of our product" but more rather a major problem of your product.

Do we have any work arounds for this.

Pro 3.2. Upgraded a machine from Win7 to WinX. Checked integrity of the .adi file after original backup AND mounted explored file. Now on the rebuilt same machine with WinX installed, same issue as above. File is on a NAS (synology), mounts 'successfully' but then 'The device is not ready' and has a file size of '0'.

Is there any known way of exploring the .adi without having to do a baremetal restore back to Win7 and starting all over again?

Plug the machine into the NAS directly via USB perhaps, therefore making it 'local' otherwise we're talking gigs across the network back and forth to find one .xls document!

• Sorry for that. Maybe you need to restore it to the local and copy the file you want. We are trying to fix it now. And the next version will be released quickly.

• Similar problem here. Drive attaches but windows wants to format the drive as it can not find the filesystem. I've tried to map the diskstation folder as Z:\ and open the adi through there, but it didn't work. I've tried to "downgrade" the SMB protocol on the DiskStation to version 1, but the Backupper wasnt even able to connect. (SMB 2 is the current configuration) I am not able to test it with SMB3 as Windows 7 does not support it.

• edited March 2016

Solution or complete fluke, I'm not entirely sure.

Uninstalled Backupper and then reinstalled to /programs/ rather than /programs/x86

Somehow Backupper can't quite get its head around the location in WinX?

Some weird bug of somekind. Who knows....

Somewhere along the line I did a restart and then suddenly voila mounted drives. 

Defo try restart after installing backupper though...

Worth a shot..

System was Win7 64bit now has WinX on it. 

As for the unable to access  previous /user/ folder from backup. Q-Dir as suggested by others enabled me to copy the files. Many hours of unsuccessful fiddling about got me to that solution.

P.S to Selfman above.

Backupper doesn't play nice with mapped drives by the way. It never has for me. It's always best to go the actual IP route rather  than mapped...

• edited March 2016

Backupper doesn't play nice with mapped drives by the way. It's always best to go the actual IP route rather  than mapped...

• It was just a test to circumvent the problem. I have a Win7 32bit setup. So I dont think its 64bit related.. I just hope that the new version gets released soon.

• Selfmade. I  hate it when solutions don't solve. How far have you got? 

Are you even able to not only see the virtual drive BUT back in backupper see the drive to be able to unmount it?

I've got another win7 32bit pc. That plays happy with image explore. ie. yes I can get into /user/ 

• The proces of mounting an image is working just fine. THe problem is that when I try to access the mapped drive, I am not able to. It behaves like a unformatted drive.

And no, I did not get further.

• Ok, here is some additional Info i've discovered. I have a 500GB SSD with 3 partitions.

0) System reserved, 1) System, 2) Data. I have 2 configured backups. a) system backup (part 0 and 1) and b) partition backup (2).

I found out that I can mount both backups BUT only the system backup is browsable.

Can you verify it please?

• So, I've had a go in a Win7 32bit system.

Aomei - Utilities>Explore Image>

My back up is a bare metal system restore version. I restore from a USB drive connected to my router. That's IP'd rather than a mapped drive.

It mounts to a virtual drive happily enough and I'm able to browse it.

What I did have with a problematic same process in a 64bit system the other day was exactly as you describe but with a couple of differences

a) I did have the option of restoring the system AND b) the rest of the drive C:. However, despite the fact that I was able to enter the now virtually mounted drive for 'System' D: it was totally empty. 

The other virtual drive E: was browsable but for the actual /user/ directory. This involved an unsolvable nightmare of 'you must change permissions'.

The only way I got round this was by downloading an alternative windows explorer called

'Q-Dir'. I'd never heard of it but it appears to be well known and this permitted me to to not only explore the hitherto unexplorable E:/users/ but to copy data out of it.  Found this via a search involving 'Aomei permissions can't explore image'.

I've just tried again with a backup of an x64 machine and yes again, I get 'system' and C. Again, the now mounted 'system' appears to be empty and I suspect only of use for the bare metal restore.

Sorry, I can't be of more help to you.

• "a) I did have the option of restoring the system AND b) the rest of the drive C:. However, despite the fact that I was able to enter the now virtually mounted drive for 'System' D: it was totally empty. "

You said that when you finish the restore and the system is empty?

"The other virtual drive E: was browsable but for the actual /user/ directory. This involved an unsolvable nightmare of 'you must change permissions'. "

Why it needs to change the permission?

"The only way I got round this was by downloading an alternative windows explorer called 'Q-Dir'."

You want to use it to open the ".adi" image

We need more details of your problem. Maybe we can help you to solve it.

• edited March 2016

just in case to explain, the "system" partition is empty because all contents are hidden and partly belong to user "System". In the ordinary Explorer, when you assign a drive letter to it (from diskpart), one cannot browse it. One can browse it only from the command line.

• Peter13feb and Admin thanks for your feedback.

Ok, yes. I had a suspicion that 'system' was as you described. The fact that I can open the folder and that  it is empty i.e contains 'hidden' system files. Fair enough.

If I'm after a particular Office file or image though for example, the fact that the now virtually mounted C drive has a 'user' directory that insists that all my permissions are incorrect and that it therefore remains inaccessible is an issue.

Yes, I did manage to access it by means of using a 3rd party Explorer 'Q-Tip' did solve my problem but it took several hours to find that, so I'm concerned as to what the problem might be i.e the .adi file did mount but I was unable to access the now virtually mounted /user/ documents/ directory. This of course being where most people will have files that they wish to access.

As I say, it was on an x64 machine that had just been upgraded (clean install) to WinX.

Known issue or just 'luck of he draw' in my case?

I can guide a user remotely through Explore image but then to have to say "Oh yes, you now need a 3rd party explorer to access anything" is an ask too far.

• edited March 2016

Third party explorer only needed for Win8 or 10 exploring a backup made on another computer/OS. Exploring in Win7 or older OS works fine. Exploring the own backup too.

• I am on Aomei Backuper 3.5 Technician. The backup image is still not explorable.

• Sorry for that.If the backup image is in the NAS, yo can try to sopy it to the local and try again.

• There is no way to do that. The backup has over 600GB (incremental) and there is not enough space on the local drive.

• Sorry. Maybe you can try to map it to the virtual partition.image

• Please can you explain what you mean by " try to map it to the virtual partition"?

• You can map the NAS to the computer and do the restore again.

• edited August 2016

Oh that way you mean. Nope did not work either. Still I was able to mount a System backup ( C:\ drive) from the same source. The partition backup (D:\ drive) not so much. After some experimenting I found out the following:

System backup - I am able to mount full and incremental backup points

Partition backup - I am able to map a full backup point but the incremental not so much.

I've tried several backup point without success. The 2 Full backup points mounted just fine.

Try to explain that.

Can anyone confirm this behavior? Thanks.

• FYI: I have deleted all the incremental backup files and done a new Incremental backup which I was then able to mount. No Idea why the previous 3 incrementals could not be mounted, but now its working.

• is the problem already solved? I have the latest version 4,5 and I still have problems