Home AOMEI Products Support

Disk space management

Hi,

Just bought the professional version and guess it's just me beling blind but how/where do I find the disk space management feature being part of the Pro version?

Comments

• Was first looking at backup jobs I already created using the free version and after doing some searching online I found that I should be able to find a disk space management tab by going into Advanced-Properties for a backup job. For some reason I don't have this tab.

Anyway I then went ahead and tried creating a new backup job and did find the scheme option and ticked that one allowing me to enable disk space management. Next question is to figure out what of the different schemes would suit my needs best.

Let me explain my situation and my goal.

1 SSD disk divided into 2 partitions, a Windows 10 system partition and a data partition

1 HDD disk with 1 single partition used as a dedicated backup disk to store my backups

My goal is to have automatic daily backups allowing me to go back in time 30 days for both partitions located on the SSD disk. The amount of data changed normally would be low but every now and then the amount of changed data may increase when I uninstall/install stuff.

I was thinking to first make a full backup of both partitions and then incremental backups using the incremental backup scheme under disk space management with days to retain set to 30.

Would this be the best way to achive my goal explained above or is there a better/other way doing this?

Many thanks in advance!

Richard

• Ok, so I've been doing some testing and clearly my strategy isn't working the way I thought it would.

I created a backup job to backup my system partiton and scheduled it to run daily with disk space management scheme incremental enabled. However after 2 runs of this job I have 2 backup files equal in size. I would have thought I would have had one full backup at the same size of the partition and one incremental backup much smaller in size.

So again, would really appreciate some tips on how to achive my goal explained above to have scheduled backup jobs that will run daily starting with a full backup and then doing incremental backups where I want 30 days retained. I want backups older than 30 days to be automatically deleted.

I really hope there's a way to achive this because this is the reason I chose to buy the Pro version.

• Still not a single reply and I thought one of the benefits buying the Pro version was you would receive more prompt support...?

Or maybe I need to create a support ticket?

• edited June 2016

Hi WebMaximus, the spacemagement is not very user friendly. I had my trouble with it.
    First of all, dont expect the scheduler to do its job when you are not logged on. That needs a manual update of the job in the task scheduler. The sheduler service provided by AOMEI is a joke. Again, it wont backup if you are not logged on the computer. The email notification of  the backup task isnt working. Even with custom server. (funny that it worked at the beginning, but stopped while nothing else changed)

Me, I've ended by using the "Other backup scheme" set to "When it exceeds [1 week]", the program will re-create a full backup and delete the old backup image files.

There is also a setting [x] Do not delete the image file of the first backup during disk space management"

This means it creates a full backup, then full and incremental backups for a week, then a new full backup and deletes the previous full+incremental. The first full manual bakup is left untouched.

I woud like a differrent king of backup scheme that would work like this:

Full backup + inc + inc + inc + inc + inc + inc + inc + inc + inc then if set for say last 7inc it would create a Full backup but not using the source drive, but rather by merginh the Full backup and the 2 incrementals. Why? this way it would be possible to get back to the past x days and recover a previous version of a file. Like when you are using windows shadow copy. The way it works now it just creates a new image and deletes all the previous versions of a file. I would like to retain say last 7 versions of it. This mainly in the "data" sections of the drive. It is not that important to retain 7 copies of the OS.

Oh an no, the file backup of the backupper is not worth to use. There are tools which can do the same file backup task more quickly and efficiently then the Backupper. I did test it.

• WebMaximus , sorry for the late reply, our colleague reply you via email. Sorry.

SelfMan ,"First of all, dont expect the scheduler to do its job when you are not logged on. That needs a manual update of the job in the task scheduler. The sheduler service provided by AOMEI is a joke. Again, it wont backup if you are not logged on the computer. The email notification of  the backup task isnt working. Even with custom server"

We improve it in the next new version, you can run the scheduled backup without logging on the user. The new version will be released quickly. Sorry for the delay new version also.

• Thansk SelfMan and sorry for my late reply. Always a bit tricky to keep up in forums where you're not able to subscribe to topics and be notified when someone posts a new reply.

Right now I ended up doing all my backups manually. I simply did a full backup and I've been then doing incremental backups before any important change to my system. Since I have a fairly big backup drive I can treat myself with having lots of backups laying around and I currently have 1 full backup plus 36 incremental backups.

My question right now which I also asked about in a separate post moments ago is if it's somehow possible to delete the latest version of an incremental backup or change/edit the comment for a version.

• "My question right now which I also asked about in a separate post moments ago is if it's somehow possible to delete the latest version of an incremental backup or change/edit the comment for a version."

You want to delete the latest incremental backup image, you just can use the scheme to do the deletion sautomatically.

You can just edit the comment when you create the new task. That is to say, there is no way to chenge th ecomment for a existed backup task. Sorry for the inconvenience.