Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper 3.2 startup disk to browse an image

Hello, 

I recently installed the AOMEI backupper 3.2 on a french W10 64bits and wanted to test few things. Everything was perfect till I tested the startup disk. In the menu I can mount a disk image to browse files.  Everything seems working but I cannot see the image. After few searches I found that we should be able to browse an image with "My computer" or windows explorer. None are available.  Problem may be only with W10, french OS, etc .... I couldn't find.  

It would be nice to not see the mounting / browsing items in the menu if it's not available with the startup disk backupper. 

J Guy

Comments

• When booting from a CD/DVD drive letters can be different from booting from the harddisk.

Select Path (at the bottom of the Explore Image window) and search for the correct path to the image.

• edited June 2016

J Guy, mounting a disk image works the same from the bootable disk (startup disk) as from Windows. Please note the drive letters of the virtual partitions. Because (Parce que) there is no Explorer on the bootable disk, you do explore it from Windows Shell Command. The Windows Shell Command is just above Explore Image. Use the dir command.

• Thanks, 

@JohnnyBoyGo : this part perfectly works, but no window opens to explore.  

@Peter13feb : thanks, indeed it works ! What I needed to know was that there's no windows explorer on startups disk ... we get used to Windows explorer !

Backupper is a really nice !

J Guy  

• @jgveil Is that all ok now?

You do the disk backup before, right?

Now you need to explore the image, but you cannot find the image.

1, Do you also have that backup task for that disk backup?

If you have, you can explore it directly.

2, Do you remmber where you save the disk backup image.

Please fidn it and restore it with the way Johnny tell you.

If you have the other problem, please give us the screenshot of the error message.

• edited June 2016

@jgveill. You are right. In WinPE the text says "Mount an image to a virtual partition for browsing via My Computer". But there is no My Computer. You would expect an explorer-like app.

You don't want a DOS box to browse, it's not really browse is it? You want a GUI.

There are 2 ways of doing so:

1. Remember you choose the path to the image in a GUI. You can use that same GUI to explore the attached image. Goto Explore Image->Path again. There is a caveat, since this will only show *.adi and *.afi files by default. Just enter *.* in the filename box. click open and explore all the files.

Edit: you can also go to Backup->File Backup->Add File. This browses *.* by default.

Some exe's can be opened by rightclicking and chose Open. Not doubleclick.

2. You can also download your own explorer-like program like Q-dir.exe. Put it on you c: drive in an easy to type path. Goto Dos Shell, goto C: and start Q-dir.exe or likewise.

Windows own Explorer won't start in the WinPE environment.

B.t.w. of course you can also use backupper from within a running Windows. Then you can use Windows Explorer to explore an image.

@Admin. There is an idea for the next next version: Make a GUI in WinPE easy available for browsing. It's already there, we only need a button in the Utilities tab.

• Seems a useful idea. Thanks Johnny