Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot clone disk or partitions again - The partition table on the disk was updated fail

2»

Comments

• edited April 2016

I also want to make sure here in #24 you complain about Partition Manager, but the original question was about Backupper.

Consider please also a defective USB enclosure, besides a badly initialized GPT disk. Consider that "it" (PA, Backupper?)  did copy zero partitions, although it was able to create two partitions, but not properly..

• Hello,

I tried the clone this morning before seeing your post above. I cloned the drive internally connected to 1 of the other ata / sata channels. The clone worked and backupper reported success with no errors.

I then used partition manager to check the clone and it was identically mapped out exactly as the source drive, every partition 100% identical in every way.

I then disconnected the source drive, attached the clone drive to that exact cable and tried to boot up, unfortunately it went to a pre-os windows screen saying "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may be the problem, please insert installation disk and select repair my computer"

Well, ive seen this message before, a few years ago and if I remember its windows detecting a change of hard drive or other hardware, and it doesnt like it due to microsoft anti piracy measures.

As it was only the clone disk, I inserted the win7 install disk and tried to repair windows but it said that "This version of system recovery is incompatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair"

I tried different boot settings in bios and also tried 1st boot device = clone , all other boot options = disable.

Im now pretty much at the stage of giving up on this and just doing manual backups of data and windows system image backup, although im not sure how good or useful a windows system image backup actually is.

I really appreciate all the help I have received.

• edited May 2016

To success your clone you need (with "source" disk disconnected)

bcdboot c:\windows /L en-GB

except you have to find the right drive letter in the WinPE environment, it might be not C:. Given you have three primary partitions and one cd drive, it could be c: d: e: f: , that is the 148GB partition. But it is not X:

(the partitions are identical, but the disk's unique signature are different, the partition's unique signatures are different usually. Exactly this causes the error message, and usually it does not get repaired by startup repair. bcdboot is able to fix it, and it concerns BCD).

Did you verify with diskpart, that the partition types on the "destination" are identical, and there is a * in the GPT column. You need Reserved x1, System x1, Primary x3. I'm interested and it could be a cause of trouble.

commands to query diskpart are

diskpart

lis dis

sel dis 0

lis par

exit

• edited April 2016

at this stage, please do a bcdedit, with "source" disconnected, exact command is including curlies

bcdedit /enum {default}

in the device line, you should see "unknown" as it does not boot into Windows.

after bcdboot command, in the device line you should see partition=c: (some drive letter)

• Hello,

Firstly I would like to thank you for all your help.

Im now giving up on this totally, I looked at the clone drive and it was perfect, ive just looked at it again and its completely different. And ive done nothing to change it.

I will do backups of data manually from now on.

thanks.

• edited May 2016

Did you look at it from the USB enclosure?

To success your clone you need (with "source" disk disconnected, "destination" internally connected)

bcdboot c:\windows /L en-GB

except you have to find the right drive letter in the WinPE environment, it
    might be not C:. Given you have three primary partitions and one cd
    drive, it could be c: d: e: f: , that is the 148GB partition.

at this stage, please do a bcdedit, with "source" disconnected, exact command is including curlies

bcdedit /enum {default}

• Hello,

I tried again with PA boot up, I then realised that partition C (system) on clone drive was empty with no data in it. So I tried manually copying the partition and PA said "standard version does not support copying system to gpt drive, please buy full version" I then tried Migrate OS and PA said same message about buying full version.

So, I paid for  the full version.

I then tried again with bootup to PA, with clone disk internally attached. I tried copy partition and also migrate os. Both methods copy the C partition all the way through, right to the end and then both report "Error Code 210, the disk has bad sectors / clusters"

I then ran chkdsk and chkdsk reported no errors at all.

But, on the last copy operation, PA  created 2 new extra boot sectors, so now 4 in total and there should only be 2, the other 2 do not exist on source drive.

Aomei, say I have a money back guarantee, I think I may have to go for that as I was hoping the Migrate to OS and also copy gpt partition pro features would finally solve this problem once and for all.

• dear michael you had my advices, but you follow another path.

chkdsk only checks within partitions.

• edited May 2016

Hi Peter,

I chose to try and do it this way because im concerned about making the source disk unbootable, this has happened to me in the past.

The source disk has 2 boot partitions and PA is showing that its the second boot partition which is causing the problem, it is suggesting that I unmount this partition to check it. This is where im really concerned, if I unmount the boot partition to check it will I be able to remount the partition so that the system still boots ?

By the way, i do not understand how to execute your suggested command "bcdboot c:\windows /L en-GB"

Thanks

• Well I tried again and this time, for the first time, partition assistant said 'success, all operations completed'. No failure message and no error message, I then booted to partition assistant with only the clone drive attached and checked all the drive letters and partitions and all were ok.

I then tried to boot from clone and got the same windows message about a change of hardware.

I then checked the clone in partition assistant and it reported many bad sectors on every partition of the clone.

I will now wait until I have time and completely wipe the source drive and reinstall everything. Then I will see if I can clone from it.

• edited May 2016

>>>By the way, i do not understand how to execute your suggested command "bcdboot c:\windows /L en-GB"

It is the same as diskpart, from the bootable media, from command prompt.

If you disconnect the source disk and have only the destination disk connected internally, after a successful clone, see your #32 first paragraph, you do not risk the source disk by executing bcdboot.

>>The source disk has 2 boot partitions and PA is showing that its the second boot partition which is causing the problem,

The source disk did not have two boot partitions, see your #24, and see your PA #8. It has one, which is the traditional C: (boot partition means the OS partition, in this vocabulary).

And "boot sectors", 2 or 4, I have never seen this expression. Which PA command would show them ?

Please show a screen shot of the two "boot" partitions.

It is virtually impossible to have two "boot" partitions, in the proper sense of the word. Unless you have a different notion of "boot" partition.

>>. I tried copy partition and also migrate os.

both are wrong commands, they do not clone a disk. Please stick to Backupper and Clone disk, see your #32 first paragraph (again)

• edited May 2016

I notice you edited while I was answering.

>>>> your #40 I then tried to boot from clone and got the same windows message about a change of hardware.

At this point you need bcdboot,  from any bootable media.

And when it works now, and does not work five minutes later, the symptoms are for a defective unreliable hardware. Maybe your power supply does not work when it is cold, or does not work when it is hot. The symptoms go thru the whole thread. Does the computer perform well in daily production? Or is it not in use?

• Hello,

I am now receiving extra support from aomei. If it cannot be resolved I will have to wipe and reinstall the whole system. PA is reporting bad sectors on the (brand new) destination drive but not reporting any bad sectors on the source drive.

PA sometimes reports success and sometimes reoprts fail. I think you may be right and maybe there is a hardware fault in the pc somewhere.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

• edited May 2016

I have just sent this image to aomei support, in case they see something that does not appear right. This is how my source drive looks in PA

Sorry, the forum software has compressed the image too much.....

• edited May 2016

This screenshot is the same as before #8, and nowhere are two boot partitions. The only thing missing still is the recovery partition, that is created on a genuine install. The source disk survived this thread fortunately.

I asked #42 last sentence: how the computer performs in daily production, whether it is in use at all (except for cloning) but you did not answer. Did you see my asking?

• Hi Peter,

Sorry, I thought the 2 small partitions were called boot partitions, thats what ive always thought but obviously ive been wrong. This OS was installed with a geniune win 7 pro disk, I always install windows from genuine disks which i buy new and keep the disks safe.

The computer is in use daily and performs well, its actually still quite fast too. Aomei support are looking into this and offereing suggestions, but I have already decided that if I cannot solve this I will backup all data again and wipe the disk and re-install the os this weekend.

Thanks again.

• Sorry, we do not understand all the communication clearly.

Did have the same problem about the partition table upgrade?

You said you create the WinPE bootable USB to do the operation, what is wrong?

You get any error message?

Sorry. Please tell us more.image