Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot clone disk or partitions again - The partition table on the disk was updated fail

Hi all,

I had a problem in the past and solved it by converting the destination disk to gpt, but this time its something else. Im now getting this message:

"The partition table on the disk was updated fail as other programs locked the partition table, please close other programs and retry."

Ive tried closing windows defender and firewall first but that has not solved it.

Latest version backupper free.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Source disk setup is:

1st partition (no letter) EFI system 100mb

2nd partition (C:) System 148 gb

3rd partition (F:) Storage 113 gb

4th partition (G:) Storage 203 gb

Can anyone offer suggestions ?

Would the paid version solve this ?

Thanks.

Comments

• So it means you need to clone your disk to another disk. You could try to "Edit partitions on the destination disk" button and then select Edit partitions on this disk: Manually adjust the partition size and location by dragging a slider bar.

Take a look at if you still run into this issue. If so, you might need to create a bootable media via Backupper and then clone in WinPE.

• For this error:

1, Please create the “WinPE Bootale Media”with Partition Assistant to resize the partition again.

Theway to create the bootable media:

http://www.disk-partition.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html

2, Please check that if the disk or volumestatus is offline or read-only. If it is, you need to switch them onto Online withWindows Disk Management or Diskpart tool, or to relieve the read-only attributeby Diskpart.

3, Applicationswhich are made to protect disk and system will occupy or lock the partitiontable to prevent the system from being damaged. Partition Assistant will beshackled by these programs, so you need to close them then retry the operation.

4, The underlying error of partition table such as the partition tableoverlap will lead to an update partition table failure. So you should figureout the errors and then retry the operation.

Note: A partition table backup before theproblem fixing is recommended.

• Many thanks for the replies.

If I have to perform the "WinPE
    Bootable" on the source disk, then I wont be doing it. On the
    destination disk I dont mind but im not risking making my source disk
    un-bootable.

Thanks

• edited April 2016

I understand you want to clone the source disk to a destination disk.

As the computer is UEFI, and the source disk is GPT, I am missing the WinRe partition there.

It is very difficult to say what is wrong with your computer.

Please try

diskpart

lis dis

sel dis 0

det dis

lis par

sel dis 1

det dis

lis par

If partitions are not proper, something should show up.

Preferable capture somehow the output into a text file and post or attach.

Closing Defender and Firewall does not make sense, they do not operate on the disk structures, or lock the partition table.

EFI system partition size must be not 100MB, but 260MB. Why is it 100MB here? Most probably because it is not EFI, and the computer is not UEFI....., and the source disk not GPT.....? Please have a look again.

The paid version will not repair the issues on your computer, (paid is about differential backup and about schedules).

• edited April 2016

Thanks again,

I dont know much about partitions but will try again and try the “WinPEBootale Media” on the destination disk.

I have no idea why the source disk reports a 100mb partition labelled EFI System, but do remember the last time I did this I had problems and at that time it was something to do with GPT.

I cloned my notebook drive the other day and had no problems at all, so  I dont understand why my desktop system is like this.

Here is my thread from last year:

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/1064/cloned-drive-wont-boot-aomei-backupper-standard-edition/p1

Thanks everyone :o)

• edited April 2016

The label "EFI system" is just a text and one can write whatever. Windows setup does not write this. Please do diskpart. It will tell as type either "primary" (when MBR) or "system" (when UEFI). It will tell as info "system" in either case. It will tell "active" (when MBR) Diskpart commands are sel dis 0, lis par, sel par 1, det par .

>>I dont understand why my desktop system is like this.

The difference between your notebook and your desktop is that they are different, Windows does install in various partition setups depending on computer. Specifically on laptops it did install in MBR style and on desktops in GPT style. This was the case for Windows 7.

Your partition table could be locked by BIOS, for example, as an antivirus measure, or by your preferred antivirus software. We can't know. You do have a security option of "system" (old thread). You had twice Windows Boot Manager in the boot priorities (old thread), that is: a multi-bootmanager-setup which is not good and tells me that old thread was UEFI computer, may have two EFI system partitions in the computer - this is not good).

Non-bootable cloned disks usually have to be fixed with (and it is not necessarly an error of the cloning software, but an issue in the design of Windows). It only works predictably when there is one "system" partition in the computer, and "system" here means the info column of diskpart.

BCDBoot c:\windows /L en-GB

>>try the “WinPE Bootable Media” on the destination disk.

What does this mean please? How many disks are in the desktop computer when you do this? And please what will you try

• edited April 2016

Thanks for all this info, I will report back when I have tried again. Yes, I agree my desktop system drive appears to be a bit of a mess ! First thing I will look at is the Bios in case there is some sort of safety / security lock applied there.

• Hi all,

Ok, I have tried several times now. I have tried manually creating the partitions and also a straightforward clone again, im still getting the 'locked' message. I tried using backuppers create boot media function too. I have attached a picture showing how partition assistant sees both drives.

The picture shows exactly what the destination disk looks like after backupper has tried to clone the disk, it shows that it always manages to copy the first 2 small partitions but then fails whilst trying to copy the main system partition.

Im wondering if my system disk has bad sectors, would that cause the issue ?

• Sorry, heres the image cropped and enhanced:

• edited April 2016

I suggest you try to clone from a bootable media (that is not only create bootable media, but then boot into it and run Clone from there). If C:\ is locked by something, then it is locked and we can't know what softwares you run. Usually it is not locked when application software runs. Maybe you have application software that does lock, and please tell us which one it is. Otherwise we would have to see what flags are set on C:

I assume there are no pending updates (this was an issue recently) because you have done multiple boots. Do you run Bitlocker?

I assume you try to clone with AOMEI Backupper? The error about locked partition table usually happens with AOMEI Partition Assistant. The only result when Googling "locked partition table" is AOMEI Partition Assistant, and no other software or issues show up.

There are other issues about locked partition (without the word "table"), here is a link in german (corrected) http://www.borncity.com/blog/2013/11/08/windows-88-1-setup-hard-disk-locked-fehler-beheben/

The flags I know accessible are, it tells a few yes/no and a hexadecimal flag word

diskpart

sel dis 0

sel par 3

det par

det vol

exit

I would need the result of this.

It is always troublesome to identify the cause of it and takes many attempts.

• edited April 2016

Hi mickey I have given you a list of commands in #3 and BCDBoot in #6 and you did do them, did you? No one recommended to create partitions manually but you did report in #8 that you did. It makes assistance to your problem more difficult.. ? The screen shots in #9 are helpful.

• edited April 2016

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies again.

You are all more knowledgeable than I am on this, I understand the basics but not everything mentioned in this thread. The system is my business partners desktop and I can only try to clone it when he is not using it. So tomorrow im up very early to try again.

Peter, I have not yet tried everything you have suggested. I dont know much about using dos commands from prompt, which I think is what you are suggesting.

We dont use bitlocker or anything like that, we do use windows defender and windows firewall. Software wise, we dont have anything that I can think of that would lock the disk or deny access.

To make it more confusing, I did this maybe 3 to 4 months ago, with aomei backupper and it worked, so in the morning im going to check all windows updates are up to date, I may also try a different disk for the destination disk and look for anything that could be causing this.

I will report back to this thread, Thank you

• Hi all,

Ive created an aomei boot disk on a usb stick, this now allows me to boot the system from the stick into partition assistant.

Later today or tomorrow morning I will use this and try to copy each partition, hopefully there will not be a 'locked' problem if im using partition assistant on its own and not running under windows.

Will let you all know...

• edited April 2016

mickey you do not use AOMEI Partition Assistant! In #0 you wrote that you use Backupper for doing the clone, and again twice in #8. You cannot get the locked-message, which is from Partition Assistant.  Seriously I asked about Backupper for this disk clone, in #10., but with no answer received. Neo gave a picture in #1, which also is from Backupper.

Troubleshooting this basic issues that it is not even clear which of the tools u use and from what tool the error message is. Please clear this up in the very next post for us.

• Hello again,

Right, im sorry that I have not carried out all the operations suggested. The most recent operation I have tried is what the forum admin suggested :

For this error:

1, Please create the “WinPE Bootale Media”with Partition Assistant to resize the partition again.

Theway to create the bootable media:

http://www.disk-partition.com/help/make-bootable-cd-wizard.html

2, Please check that if the disk or volumestatus is offline or read-only. If it is, you need to switch them onto Online withWindows Disk Management or Diskpart tool, or to relieve the read-only attributeby Diskpart.

3, Applicationswhich are made to protect disk and system will occupy or lock the partitiontable to prevent the system from being damaged. Partition Assistant will beshackled by these programs, so you need to close them then retry the operation.

4, The underlying error of partition table such as the partition tableoverlap will lead to an update partition table failure. So you should figureout the errors and then retry the operation.

Note: A partition table backup before theproblem fixing is recommended.

I did this because I thought that I might have better luck booting from a usb drive into partition assistant and attempting to copy the partitions manually from there.

Yes, I have been trying to use Aomei Backupper, have been using it for a few years.

The error that I first reported in this thread is been generated by Aomei Backupper standard edition, latest version. The error occurs when Backupper says it has finished cloning partition C, it appears to copy all of the data and then shows up with the error after it asks me to click the 'Finish' button.

I am sorry if I  do not answer how expected, a lot of this is new for me, I only have a basic understanding of disk cloning and partitions.

I will be trying again later tonight or tomorrow.

• edited April 2016

Hi, I think I know what the problem is.

Well I tried the following method,

Change bios boot sequence to usb flash stick prority for first boot priority.

Succesful boot up to partition assitant.

Copy Disk partitons.

Fail with same message :

"The partition table on the disk was updated fail as other programs locked the partition table, please close other programs and retry."

Then I could not re-boot the system so tried safe mode  and it tried to boot to windows xp !

This means that when I installed win 7 pro, it may have been an upgrade, the xp pro boot partition remained on the disk.

I managed to boot up to win 7 pro by changing bios boot from 'windows boot manager' and forced it to the system disk instead.

Im now going to back up all important data manually then try and find out what on earth is wrong, I also need to find the win 7 pro disk used.

• edited April 2016

Well this is worse than I thought.

Ive just tried windows backup / windows system image and windows repair disk, all 3 report failed.

I think im going to have to try and save everything I possibly can manually, then wipe the disk and re-nstall win 7 pro, I have now found 2 genuine win 7 pro disks.

• edited April 2016

Edit: I think the destination disk ive been trying to use may be faulty or 'bricked', now i feel a bit stupid for not even thinking about that possibility. Will now test and replace if needed.

• edited April 2016

Hello and good morning,

Well ive carried out the following tasks:

Backup all data manually to a working disk.

Create a windows repair cd disc.

Create a windows system image on a working disk.

I have since found out that both of the drives I have been using for cloning are full of bad sectors. Also a  quick search on google showed that the manfacturer admitted problems with the drives firmware and issued an update, this update is no longer available.

The drives are Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 in 500 gb and 1500 gb. Now it appears both have to be scrapped.

Im now considering switching to SSD drives.

• Many thanks Peter,

I have tried those and no luck, the windows based firmware updater did not work and I could not get my machine to boot from the iso image either on a disk or usb stick. I also downloaded all of seagates tools and none of them saw the drives, aomei has no trouble seeing both drives.

I have a new hard disk arriving tomorrow, which I will try to use a clone disk. Im also going to scan for bad sectors on my business partners machine (source drive) and check for errors before doing anything.

At least his data is safely backed up and I have a windows system image.

Will let you know tomorrow if I can clone.

• Well im out of ideas now.

Brand new destination disk and im still getting locked error, using partition assistant and also backupper.

Partition assistant is reporting that I will need to upgrade to full version if im going to ask it to copy an os partition which is on a GPT source drive.

So, will buying the full version of partition assistant solve this issue ?

Michael

• edited April 2016

>>Well im out of ideas now.

do the diskpart commands above

do a disk backup from aomei backupper standard 3.2

report the results

>>Well im out of ideas now.

please report how you found out that the old destination disk (of 500GB+1.5GB, each)  has bad sectors?

>>So, will buying the full version of partition assistant solve this issue ?

hardly

• Hello Peter (and anyone else),

Finally, I have run diskpart. I was a bit worried about it as I have not done it before. The results are below, please note that the source disk has 2 partitions used for storage. Disk 1 is the new destination disk, you will see that it has the 2 boot partitions copied to it, after copying those it fails on trying to copy the os partition.

I also ran windows chkdsk on the source disk, pre-boot mode, it ran all 5 checks with no errors. I also managed to get partition manager to run in pre-os mode and it got locked again whilst trying to copy the source disk os partition.

The other 'older' backup drives have multiple bad sectors reported by partition assistant.

Here is the diskpart info:

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601

Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: 'ive edited the pc name out for security'

DISKPART> lis dis

Disk ###  Status        Size     Free     Dyn Gpt

--------  ------------- -------  -------  --- ---

Disk 0    Online          465 GB  1024 KB       *

Disk 1    Online          465 GB   465 GB       *

DISKPART> sel dis 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> det dis

Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device

Disk ID: {9E3A8DEF-754E-431F-8314-B9181F4174A3}

Type   : ATA

Path   : 0

Target : 0

LUN ID : 0

Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1F02)#ATA(C00T00L00)

Current Read-only State : No

Read-only  : No

Boot Disk  : Yes

Pagefile Disk  : Yes

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk  : Yes

Clustered Disk  : No

Volume ###  Ltr Label        Fs     Type       Size     Status     Info

----------  --- -----------  -----  ---------- -------  ---------  --------

Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition   148 GB  Healthy    Boot

Volume 2     F  Ticket Data  NTFS   Partition   113 GB  Healthy

Volume 3     G  JOBS STORAG  NTFS   Partition   203 GB  Healthy

Volume 4                      FAT32  Partition   100 MB  Healthy    System

DISKPART> lis par

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset

-------------  ----------------  ------- -------

Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB  1024 KB

Partition 2    System             100 MB   129 MB

Partition 3    Primary            148 GB   229 MB

Partition 4    Primary            113 GB   149 GB

Partition 5    Primary            203 GB   262 GB

rest on next post, forum said too long a post....

• DISKPART> sel dis 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> det dis

TOSHIBA HDWD105 USB Device

Disk ID: {0A4E182D-5858-9090-8081-828310111213}

Type   : USB

Path   : 0

Target : 0

LUN ID : 0

Location Path : UNAVAILABLE

Current Read-only State : No

Read-only  : No

Boot Disk  : No

Pagefile Disk  : No

Hibernation File Disk : No

Crashdump Disk  : No

Clustered Disk  : No

Volume ###  Ltr Label        Fs     Type       Size     Status     Info

----------  --- -----------  -----  ---------- -------  ---------  --------

Volume 5                      RAW    Partition   128 MB  Healthy

Volume 6     E                RAW    Partition   100 MB  Healthy

DISKPART> lis par

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset

-------------  ----------------  ------- -------

Partition 1    Primary            128 MB    31 KB

Partition 2    Primary            100 MB   128 MB

DISKPART>

Sorry it took me so long.

Michael

• Forgot to mention, partition assistant sometimes sees 2 boot partitions on source drive and sometimes it only sees 1 ?

• edited April 2016

the diskpart information is understandable.

comments

Partition Assistant did not copy the two partitions that were created and are visible, it says filesystem RAW., it also does not say RESERVED to the 128MB partition but it should.

so the destination TOSHIBA HDWD105 disk is an internal 3.5 inch disk, but it is in an USB disk enclosure?

Once I tried to create a disk in an USB enclosure, intended for internal usage, and it did not work. There is also a 4K /512e issue, that is USB enclosure has a different controller than the internal ATA attachment.

You will not be able to boot Windows from an USB disk (blocked, cannot boot from removable device simply because of license issue).

suggestions

It does not really make sense to do a Clone to an external disk, I
    suggest you do create a partition on the destination disk and do a disk
    backup.I suggest you use Backupper and not Partition Assistant.

Before please reorganize the disk, that is do in Windows or in the WinPE enviroment, it does not matter. You could also do in Windows Disk Management but diskpart is more authoritative.

diskpart

lis dis

sel dis 1

det dis (make positively absolutely sure it is the external disk)

clean

convert gpt

create partition primary

sel par 1

det par (make sure it is the 465GB partition, unformatted, just created)

format fs=ntfs quick label="backup"

exit

• regarding #26, on disk 0, there is only one "boot" partition, and it is the 148GB partition. In addition there is a "system" partition of 100MB.

• Hello Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly, the disk is in an enclosure. This is how I have been doing this for a couple of years, clone to an identical size disk in a usb enclosure, then make sure the clone has worked then store the disk on a shelf.

I understand that the cloned disk would have to be put internally into the pc with the internal connector. I have tested the cloned disks many times to make sure they boot up and the system is an identical working copy.

I am not sure I understand everything you have said, you know way more than I do about this. I will try and follow your instructions but maybe try this with the source drive in the pc attached to the other ata connector.

If it works then I will use this method from now on.

• edited April 2016

wait, as exactly this has worked for several years, to exactly this external disk, one has to find out why it does not work anymore.

As a suggestion, before doing the next clone, it would be helpful to initialize the partition scheme to GPT very properly using diskpart.

>>>>I am not sure I understand everything you have said, you know way more than I do about this.

it would be helpful in this case to tell and quote the phrases you did not understand. Thank you.