Home Storage General Discussion

Image to Partition on System HDD

Hey guys, my first post!  

I am not able to get a backup drive right now so would like to use my same system HDD on laptop to keep one bootable Image of my Windows 7 System on.  I have Recovery Media Disks but have no Recovery Partition and don't need the space.  

Was thinking if creating a 50GB Storage Partiton next to C:Drive, and then 100GB Partition for this AOMEI Backup Image.  When I ran the AOMEI Software with a 64gb Flash it was not enough space for the Image.  The Flash only had like 58GB of space and the image needed 60something.  Some have told me not to do this but I'm not sure why, just want to use what I have to prevent a Full Re-Install of Windows 7 because it is so much work to do so.  Not doing this in case of HDD failure?

I was thinking this could be done by Marking this AOMEI Partition as Active when it was needed and then reboot to it, then reinstall to the C:Drive.  Can someone tell me if this would work?

Thanks, Hammer  

Comments

• edited March 2016

So you have a C: drive about 100 GB and want to create a 50 GB data partition (that has no further meaning in your question) and a 100 GB partition for the backup image of around 60+ GB? That will work. Now you want to boot from the backup image. That won't work. An image is like a encrypted Zip file, it can't be run. 

You can however make a bootable CD/DVD based on Linux or WInPE and than restore from the image to the C: partition.

You can also, clone your C: partition to the new 100 GB and create a multiboot. However I believe that is not strictly legal. 

There is also a program from Aomei called OneKey: Backup the system to a hidden partition on your HDD. It makes a multiboot menu entry with the option of restoring the backup image. Maybe that is what you want.  Personally I prefer the bootable CD option.

• edited March 2016

"You can however make a bootable CD/DVD based on Linux or WInPE and than restore from the image to the C: partition."

I understand the concept here but don't understand if you are suggesting that this is done with AOMEI.  I can use AOMEI to make the Backup Image, but then use another Software DVD to Restore, hmm.  I would think it would have to be the same Software maker that the image was created with to do this.  Do you have a link that would show me how to do it this way?

"There is also a program from Aomei called OneKey: Backup the system to a hidden partition on your HDD. It makes a multiboot menu entry with the option of restoring the backup image. Maybe that is what you want.  Personally I prefer the bootable CD option."

Yes, either of these would be fine, as long as they are free.  I'm quite sure the Bootable CD option is free but what about the AOMEI OneKey? I'll look it up. 

And, if there is a Mulitboot Entry - that might make booting a little slower right.  My boot times are really bad because of a slow CPU and HDD, don't want to make it worse you know.  Now that you have helped me with this I'm happy to persue it soon if not very soon.  

Thanks, Hammer

• edited March 2016

Actaully, we are not clear of your problems. You do the backup image with AOMEI Backupper and restore it with another software?

" I would think it would have to be the same Software maker that the image was created with to do this"

Yes, you need to restore it with AOMEI Bckupper.

"Do you have a link that would show me how to do it this way?"

You want to create the Bootable USB: http://www.backup-utility.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

"what about the AOMEI OneKey?"

Onekey is free to use:

http://www.aomeitech.com/onekey-recovery.html

• edited March 2016

@Hammer. Take a look in the utilities menu of Aomei. You find options for creating bootable media / DVD/CD's just as you would like. And its free. There is a version based on Linux (will also do for Windows restore, Linux is just for the cd to start) and a WinPE (windows) version. You need the WinPE for an new UEFI based computer. Linux can probably be used on all other.

I also don't like a multiboot menu if you now have a single boot PC. As you say, for speed reasons. Why accept a daily delay if you might never need the restore option?

That is why I prefer the CD/DVD. 

• I'm starting to understand now guys.  The whole talk about Linux and WinPE Environment was a little confusing.  This link was very hepful as was all your imput: 

http://www.backup-utility.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html

The point is...as I understand it...Use the AOMEI Backupper to create the Image or Clone, and then use the Linux, or WinPE Environment to Restore the Image or Clone too the Corrupt or new Drive destination.

What are your feelings on Backing up the Image to a USB?  Been told not to do this but it is the cheapest way as of now, 30bucks for 128GB 3.0 USB.  I see WB Passport 500gb now for 49.00 US, but that is stretching it for me.  This is why I was suggesting using my Internal Drive for now, but really want the WB External - so I can make a Clone also.  My Internal Drive is old, so would like an Image and a Clone I think just in case of failure.

Hammer

• Hey guys!  I'm ready to make a backup image but need to clarify what the first move is?

I guess I use the AOMEI tool from inside the current OS, and then use the Bootable Media to Restore?  Almost 100% sure this is what is supposed to be done.

Need advise, I have no choice right now but to use a 128GB USB to backup to.  I would like to get a new HDD in the future, maybe an SSD as they seem to be cheaper.  My question is:  

Would it be best just to Create the Clone instead of the System Backup?

I've read all the info on both, but have been struggling for a long time understanding the difference.

Thanks, Hammer

• You can backup from inside the running OS or from the bootable media. I like to do it from inside the OS. For restore you need the bootable media.

A clone is an exact copy. A Backup is an encrypted or zipped file. It takes less space and gives the opportunity to make incremental or differential backups.

A clone needs a reserved disk or partition. A backup image is just a file.

I prefer the backup to image. You need a clone to copy a HDD to another HDD or SSD and use the clone to run (immediatedly) afterwards.

Why don't you try all this with a very small partition? You can erase this test afterwards.

• edited April 2016

JohnnyboyGo That is a great description!

My issue is I have limited space and no money lol.  I think my HDD is not in good health because I just did a test, I need to have some folks look at it.  This is why I asked about the Clone, and if I can find the funds will get an inexpensive SSD to install to later.  So another question if you don't mind.  But let me explain my idea if I haven't yet.

1. Make Clone to a PNY-128GB-3.0-USB Flash drive I bought, in case all is lost in the next step.

2. Restructure my HDD Partitions.

a. Right now it is all one drive C: Drive 300GB.  There is about 63GB of used space.  

What I want is:

1. 100 for the C:Drive

2. 30GB For Separate Files: I don't need a lot for files.

3. Another 100 for a backup image in case of damage or infection of C:Drive. 

So can I use the USB in this way, and reinstall with the Clone if needed later.  Don't mind loosing anything, right now am keeping most info on another USB.  because you were saying:  

"and use the clone to run (immediatedly) afterwards."

If I can't use the Clone like this, then I am considering to just make a Backup Image to the USB until I get the Partitions restructured, and later get a new drive.

Right now the drive seems fine, but I know it is a very old drive, a second hand one from a friend.

Thanks, Hammer

• Hammer ,You can do it in this way.

1, Create the USB as the bootable USB.

2, Do a disk backup and save the image to the USB.

3, Do the system backup and save the image to USB(double choice)

4, If the disk is crashed, you can restore it to that disk again with the bootable USB.

5, If you want to use new HDD, you also can restore to the new HDD to use.

• This is not making it clear to me sorry.  I have read up on this but still don't fully understand what each is for.  Maybe I will ask another question and try to keep it simple.

1. I just want to be able to make a backup that can be installed to a new SSD at a later date.  Does it need to be a Clone?

2. Need to get something tonight but have a Linux Live Install Medium on the USB, will the cloning or backup Format the usb without any input from me?

Thanks, hammer

• Did a System Backup and Pre-Formatted the USB.

Now, can I use the to put on a new SSD if needed?

• “1. I just want to be able to make a backup that can be installed to a new SSD at a later date.  Does it need to be a Clone?” 

You need to do the backup we supply to you before.

"2. Need to get something tonight but have a Linux Live Install Medium on the USB, will the cloning or backup Format the usb without any input from me?"

Yes, if you create the bootablt USB, it will cover that USB.

"Now, can I use the to put on a new SSD if needed?"

Yes, you can restore the new SSD. If you will use the new SSD to another computer, you need to do the universal restore.

• Hey guys!

Can someone tell me how to Delete Images?  I need to make room for another image but the only way I see how would be to just Delete it, is that the normal way?

Thanks, Hammer

• edited June 2016

Locate Image (this opens an Explorer window), and delete.

• Hi, you find the image in your disk and delete it in the Windows?

You cannot do it, what is the error code?

• @HammerYou could click home--->advanced-->delete backup in turn and then tick delete the image file in the pop-up windows.