Home AOMEI Products Support

System Backup, Disk Backup, and Partition backup?

Hi. I want to try and better understand these options. I want to say how I think these work so please join in to help me and correct any misunderstandings I may have. Thank you.

System Backup: This can be used to restore an entire hard disk that includes the OS and programs (Firefox, MS Office,
Kaspersky Anti-Virus, etc.??? BUT, this can only be effective on say a Windows XP computer that has a disk with just the C drive? I say that because I recently did a clean install of Windows XP with a retail disk, not a OEM disk. There is just the C drive and no other partions on it, not even any hidden ones. I am positive there are no hidden partitions because I checked in Windows Disk management. AOMEI also shows just the C drive.

The System Backup option is NOT one I would want to choose if I had Windows 7 with C drive primary partition, active recovery partition, and OEM partion? I say that because that is what shows up in my Windows 7 computer under Disk Management in Windows... the C drive and the two hidden partitions I spoke of. AOMEI also shows the C drive and the two hidden partitions.

Disk Backup: This is without question what I want to use in my Windows 7 situation? I say that because I have a C drive with two other partions that are hidden... active recovery partition, and OEM partition. Am I correct in saying that? There is no need for me to pick this option with my Windows XP computer because it only has one drive, the C drive and no other partions? Is that correct? Or can the Disk Backup Option also be used for the Windows XP computer to make it a true perfect backup?

Partition Backup: Where does this come into play? It seems to provide me with the same selections as Disk Backup. It allows me to pick all partions just like Disk Backup does.

Bootable Disk: I have six computers, both desktops and laptops, some in use and some that are just spares. I have Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 on these computers. What is the best bootable disk for me to make for these? Linux or Windows PE and why? Which one is the easiest to use? Which is the most reliable and least problematic? Can one boot disk made for Windows 7 be used on several Windows 7 computers or do I have to make boot disks for each particular install?

Senario: Let's say my 500GB hard disk fails and I have a backup made using the Disk Backup option. I now want to take that image and install it on a newly purchased 1TB hard disk. How is this done exactly?

I thank you for your help!

Comments

• edited March 2016

A disk can have many partitions: Hidden, recovery, rescue, OS, data etc.

A Disk BU backups the entire disk, including data and other not strictly necessary parts for running the OS.

A System BU backups the OS and the necessary other system partitions. That goes for all OS's. It determines the correct partitions by itself. 

A Partition BU backups one ore more partitions, you select which. It can be used for data partitions. But I use it also for backups of Win7 to restore on other PC's in a multiboot environment. I did not yet succeed to restore such a partition backup as a standalone OS.

You can always restore on a disk with smaller or bigger size. Yo can change destination partition size just before restore. Of couse the disk needs enough space for the files in the backup.

Linux will do for most restores. It is only used to start Aomei software.

But if you have a Win8 or 10 PC with UEFI you might need a WinPE-UEFI DVD.

If you have a BIOS PC you can choose Linux or any WInPE from any OS except WinPE UEFI and of course the PC must be able to run that OS. E.g. I don't think you can run WINPE from Win10 on a PC wth 512 MB memory.. And of course 64 bit WinPE cannot run on a 32 bit computer.

If you have many different PC's I would suggest you make a Linux and a WinPE UEFI (always 64 bits). That way Win8/10 UEFI and all prior OS are covered.

Sometimes you might need special drivers, like I did on a laptop with RAID disks. With WinPE you can add special drivers. Some people need special mouse drivers too.

• Thank you for the reply.

A disk can have many partitions: Hidden, recovery, rescue, OS, data etc.

I understand that.

A Disk BU backups the entire disk, including data and other not strictly necessary parts for running the OS.

What are "other" not strictly necessary parts for running the OS?

A
    System BU backups the OS and the necessary other system partitions.
    That goes for all OS's. It determines the correct partitions by itself.

If I pick this option in Windows 7 it shows the C drive and the hidden recovery partition, but not the hidden OEM partion. I would not have a complete true backup if I did this because the hidden OEM partition would not be copied?

A
    Partition BU backups one ore more partitions, you select which. It can
    be used for data partitions. But I use it also for backups of Win7 to
    restore on other PC's in a multiboot environment. I did not yet succeed
    to restore such a partition backup as a standalone OS.

I still ask... Partition Backup: Where does this come into play? It
    seems to provide me with the same selections as Disk Backup. It allows
    me to pick all partions just like Disk Backup does. I don't see a difference.

Linux will do for most restores. It is only used to start Aomei software.

But if you have a Win8 or 10 PC with UEFI you might need a WinPE-UEFI DVD.

If
    you have a BIOS PC you can choose Linux or any WInPE from any OS except
    WinPE UEFI and of course the PC must be able to run that OS. E.g. I
    don't think you can run WINPE from Win10 on a PC wth 512 MB memory.. And
    of course 64 bit WinPE cannot run on a 32 bit computer.

Looking at the comparison chart in the link below it seems Linux is pretty much useless. It can't handle a System Backup?

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/create-bootable-disc.html

If
    you have many different PC's I would suggest you make a Linux and a
    WinPE UEFI (always 64 bits). That way Win8/10 UEFI and all prior OS are
    covered.

Sometimes you might need special drivers, like I did on a
    laptop with RAID disks. With WinPE you can add special drivers. Some
    people need special mouse drivers too.

XP doesn't have UEFI does it?

• edited March 2016

You only need the bootable media for the restore. So Linux will do in most cases. You can backup from within the running OS. You don't need a CD for that. 

Only 64-bit can have UEFI, Mostly new PC's with Win8 or 10. 

Data partitions are not necessary for running an OS. Just as a OEM recovery partition is not.

And the live of XP maintenance has stopped 2 years ago. You will find lesser and lesser programs that support XP or WinME or Win98 or Win95 or Win31 or DOS. But you can run a Win7 or Linux CD on an old XP computer, provided there is sufficient memory.

• system backup serves to roll back the operating system including all installed programs and settings. And it rolls back everything else on the affected partitions, including data on the affected partitions.

OEM partitions are not backed up by system backup. Data partitions, for people or computers having data partitions, are not backup up.

• Ok so System Backup is a little like System Restore built into Windows and will only backup the C drive (boot), it won't backup any hidden partions, won't backup the OEM partion, and won't backup any other partions that you make... it strickly does the boot C.

If I want to make a true full backup I need to pick the Disk Backup option because it can backup all partitions including the hidden OEM ones.

• Ok so System Backup is a little like System Restore built into Windows
    and will only backup the C drive (boot), it won't backup any hidden
    partions,

that's not right. It will backup the C: drive (boot) and some hidden partitions (system), WinRE (recovery). It will list precisely which partitions, simply start a system backup and look at it. You may not Start at that point.

won't backup the OEM partion,

that's right

• Thanks for your guys.

System backup will backup all the parition which is related with the system such as boot and recovery partition.

Disk backup will backup the OS and all the data in disk.

Partition backup will just backup the partition you choose.

• No offense, while I appreciate the help, no one has properly addressed my original post the way it could have been addressed.

System Backup on my Windows 7 computer can see C:OS and *:Recovery.

Disk Backup on my Windows 7 computer can see C:OS, *Recovery, and also the OEM partition.

Disk Backup is the best choice it seems. I found the information below in another post which is much more helpful...

The text about system backup suggest different, that it backs up only everything belonging to Windows, and everything otherwise on C:. This is less than everything on the hard disk. There could be in addition a factory reset partition for example and it would not be covered by system backup, even on an disk that you did not divide. Some manufacturers, e.g. Acer, did deliver the computer with a divided disk into C: and D: (data), and D: would not be covered.

Running Aomei Partition Assistant Standard you can see what other partitions are on your Hard Disk Device, there should be at least a System Reserved Partition, or otherwise a System partition and a Recovery Partition.

As a rule of thumb, System Backup protects against Windows failure only and Disk backup protects against Windows Failure and Hard Disk Failure.

For your setup, a disk backup strategy would be right, to cover everything.

• edited March 2016

>>C drive primary partition, active recovery partition, and OEM partion? I
    say that because that is what shows up in my Windows 7 computer under
    Disk Management in Windows...

>>System Backup on my Windows 7 computer can see C:OS and *:Recovery.

Interesting, because you have an active recovery partition. Usually the system partition is the active one, and it is not seen in Disk Management in Windows. I have never seen Windows 7 installing this way, however it could be that your manufacturer did it this way, on this particular computer model. (Windows disk management even shows *:Recovery twice, sometimes when there is only one partition).

It is very hard to address your original questions, because it is many questions spread across from XP over Windows 7, 8.1 up to Windows 10, and we to sort everything out, across your six different computers. The explanation about system backup in #6, from me, is correct and covers all of your six computers. Please accept it and learn from it. In addition you really can find a lot of FAQ and Help Guides on the AOMEI web site.

• Below are three screen shots. One is Windows Disk Management, one is AOMEI System Backup and the other one is AOMEI Disk Backup. Look and let me know. Thank you very much!

imageDiskManagement.jpg

imageSystem Backup.jpg

imageDiskBackup.jpg

• edited March 2016

>>Look and let me know.

your manufacturer did it this way, on this particular computer model. And what is your question, exactly, relating to AOMEI and this Windows 7(?) computer?