Home AOMEI Products Support

reboot failure after HDD cloning

Hello,

I had some problems with my HP pavilion and was dusting of my HP recovery disc. Guess what. They did not work. Thank you HP...

I reinstalled win81 on HDD1-300GB and on HDD2-1TB because I tested the recovery discs on the 2 HDDs.

After that I did a microsoft image disc to avoid 6h reinstalling and multible reboot and patch updates...

It generated the image but when testing it on HDD2 it did not work. No image detected. Thank you Microsoft.

I turned to Backupper and generated a disc image on HDD 1. I generated a PE boot CD.

I put in HDD2 and booted from the backupper boot CD and had the image on a USB stick.

The recovery worked without notifications but when rebooting with HDD2 it did not boot.

I attached is a picture of what is presentad at boot.

The only additional info I get is that no boot partition present.

I did not change any advanced setting - only used preselected. 

I still have the USB image and boot CD so I could retry - but I already did the reinstall of win 81 from scratch ----SIGH

Can anyone see our explain what wight have gone wrong or what I have done wrong? As I cannot see what was done incorectly. I used acronis previously but my lisence does not cover UEFI so I wanted to try something different.

imageHP_failure.jpg

thank you

Comments

• edited March 2016

You have UEFI on your PC. Are both disks formatted as GPT? MBR disks don't boot under UEFI.

• edited March 2016

1. The picture of boot You wrote: The only additional info I get is that no boot partition present. But the picture is different and reads Boot Device Not Found Please Install an Operating System on the Hard Disk Hard Disk (3F0)  Googling for the (exact) error message gives results, and the usual heap of non-solutions.

2. From some of the hints when googling for the error message, it could be a MBR/GPT issue, I agree with Johnny, and unfortunately Backupper does not set the partition scheme automatically. (The solutions from Google are with secure boot and legacy boot, but solving for GPT is the better method).

3. We need pictures of the disk layout of HDD1, 300GB, where Win8.1 was reinstalled.

We need the pictures from disk management, and also of backupper when you create the disk image (no need to proceed). After that you will get some advice. We will tell you how to make the 1TB disk GPT, only when it makes sense.

4. And what model of pavilion, this is a very broad range including laptops and desktop PCs, with one disc slot on laptop, or multiple disc slots on desktop pc.

5 . When microsoft repair disc (right?) told you no image detected it is some fault of your side, because microsoft repair disc always detects images, this method clearly works. However you cannot move images around (say you create system image to a drive (volume, partition) on USB device, you cannot move it nowhere.) Did you Create System Image or something else? Tell me, to cross-verify, how to call the Create System Image command, where is it.

6. It is not clear what was reinstalled Win8.1, because you also write that the recovery CD/DVD do not work (is this the certificate issue??). How can you install Win8.1 without recovery disks and still have patch and the like issues. Microsoft does not do patches on install, however Compaq (HP) did, and Acer did.

What USB stick size was it? What USB type of device was it for Microsoft Create System Image? Disk or Stick? How many USB sticks or USB disc are in the game? I ask this cross-question because your report is not clear about what you did.

Waiting for your reply on the green q..

@Johnny: The Windows 8.1 fresh install to the 300GB is surely converting the disk to GPT scheme, but the 1TB could be MBR partition scheme and therefore not bootable reasonably.

• The issue is that the system does not know where to boot from. You should be able to boot from a Windows installation disk but go to the Repair your computer menu where you can repair the system's boot information.

check http://www.techspot.com/guides/630-windows-8-boot-fix/ for instruction. 

• Hello,

Thanks for the answers. I will have to redo it in order to give proper answer to all questions...

Some of the answers and comment.

It is a laptop hp pavilion 17-081no with one CD slot.

Both discs had previously win8/win81 installed on it so I assume these cannot be MBR if not this also is reset during a reinstall /recovery. They are not newly purchased clean drives.

The USB stick I cannot see any more info than:

Géneric flash disc USB device 8Gb

I did the .ADI file /image in a folder on my C drive. The ADI backupper file was just barely fitting on my USB. So yes, I copied the image from C to USB since I wanted to simulte a recovery of a non booting C drive.

My win81 installation that seems to be working i generated at microsofts homepage. When using that disc it did recognize my key on the non bootable image.

I will try to generate a partition setup of the recovered drive.

I did try the proposal mentioned in:

http://www.techspot.com/guides/630-windows-8-boot-fix/

However from other links so I will redo this as well but following this guide.

When doing recovey the PC just seemed to freeze on repairing... and never finished. How long should this take. I think I waited for close to 2h...

Thank you

Gustav

• Also sine I have a working win81 disc in my now assembled laptop which is heavily used by my kids. Would it be possible to do this on a external USB connected HDD? I have a spare SSD which would come in use for this. This should not be an issue right? It should work?

thanks

Gustav

• edited March 2016

I don't really understand anymore whats the problem or whats the question but:

You have 2 disks. A 300 GB boot disk with Windows 8.1 and a data disk of 1TB.

The 300 GB disk will be GPT otherwise it could never have booted as you said.

The 1TB data disk can be both MBR or GPT. But if you want to boot from it it needs to be GPT.

Check diskmanagement. Right click on the disk1 or on disk0 and read the menu. If it states in gray: "Convert to GPT" it is now MBR.

If it is GPT than a disk clone from the 300GB to the 1TB disk should work.

And you cannot boot a pc from an external SSD. You can however install the SSD next to the HDD. So both of them in the laptop/ For that you need to remove the DVD player and buy a hdd caddy. In such a caddy you can insert the SSD and put it in place of the DVD. Then you can boot an operating system from the HDD or from the DVD/SSD via the UEFI-Bios settings boot order.

You also can clone the 300 GB disk to an external SSD of course. Maybe shrinking a partition on the SSD if that one is smaller. After cloning you have to remove the internal 300 GB drive and replace it with the SSD. Since it is now internal it can boot. If GPT.

B.t.w. You do have UEFI right? Running Windows 8.1 doesn't necessarily mean you have UEFI.

• edited March 2016

Johnny -- there is hp pavilion laptop 17-p081no exists, is of year 2015, and it comes with 500 GB 5400 rpm SATA. HP product page link, in english, is here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-17-Notebook-PC-series/7771417/model/8637084/document/c04740169/

HP product pages are usually very exact, I consult them frequently.

Johnny please note the answer that it has 1CD slot, when I asked for disk slots, assuming in this part of my questions a desktop.  There is a Maintenance and Service guide to this laptop, see User Guides tab, and hard disk is not customer-self-repair-replaceable. There is neither a 300GB SSD nor a 1TB hard disk provided in this laptop, by its design. Only a plain consumer 500GB . A lot of what OP says is unclear, but it seems the Windows key is embedded in firmware, a sticker is on the bottom ofthe laptop, and key was therefore recognized.

Gustav, better leave your laptop as it was sold by HP unless you understand what you do, learned from some easier cases. It is not AOMEI issues with your laptop. It is difficult to help over 1400 km, therefore local advice is heartly recommended.

The proper version of the techspot solution propositions is

bcdboot c:\windows /l nb-NO

• @Groo72, some things we want to assure.

1, You backup the HDD1 and save the image to C partition.

2, Then you create the bootable CD.

3, Copy the image in the partition of HDD1 to USB.

4, You put in the HDD2 to the same computer or another computer?