Home AOMEI Products Support

Partition Assistant seemingly borked my system

Hi!

Recently bought a new Asus laptop in January. The machine came with an 1Tb HDD, with two partitions: a 380GB OS C: drive, and a 580GB Data D: drive. First thing I did when I got my machine was to move the My Documents, Pictures, etc folders and basically where the data should go over to the D: drive, which was totally unused by the machine unless I told it too. However turns out it filled pretty fast. The D: drive was at 85% capacity by earlier this week and my C: drive was at a meager 20%. Realized the partitions are weirdly proportioned. So I decided to move some of the space from the C: drive to the D: drive. Installed the partition assistant earlier, set it to lower C: to 150GB, and merge that free space into D:. Also worth mentioning that there was an unamed, 300Mb recovery partition between both, so another step was required to move this small drive out of the way to merge.

Rebooted to let the magic happen, and it was seemingly uneventful. Left it to run for a while, and after about an hour it was done. Logged in to my account, to find myself stuck under a torrent of system errors. Namely "*/system32/VERSION.dll" was broken, or something along the lines. All of my D: drive is seemingly unharmed, and according to the overview, the partition tweaks worked, but the C: drive seems to be messing up. Avast refuses to launch, as well as the Partition Assistant. I havent tested them all but a large amount of programs seem broken and dont want to launch either. Windows notified me of drive errors, and I restarted to allow it to repair them, but without success. My wireless mouse is not being recognized anymore. Some of my settings went back to factory defaults, namely my keyboard layout. The list of issues piles on.

So... What the hell?? I have a backup of my data drive, but honestly the last thing I want to do right now is format my system and reinstall windows. Honestly I dont understand how things could go this badly.

Comments

• Update: cant launch the windows disk manager, nothing connected to my laptops usb ports gets recognized... honestly my system is thoroughly crapped. Dont look like I have any other choice but reinstall windows.

I honestly dont understand how such an awful mess up can even have happened.

• Please use the chkdsk to repair the system. But what th error mesaage you get during the applying progress? Actaully, it will be ok to use. We do not change data in the progress, it is just move.

• edited March 2016

There was no errors that I know of during the actual process. I left it to run for a while and only checked on it after, but I got no message from it directly.

Right now, I cant run a windows reset. It just does not respond. System restore refuses to start. Special startup options are not loading up. The whole system is just not answering at all, and this is getting less funny by the second. Most of windows itself just simply refuses to boot or work. I cant even reinstall it.

Just tried chkdsk, as most windows apps, it doesnt work. This one pops up for a fraction of a second and closes. This isnt funny.

My laptop is definitely not okay to use, 90% of Windows and my installed apps simply do not work at *all*.

• Run CMD as administrator and execute: sfc /scannow

FYI - for the future - next time you do change the partitions, ALLWAYS make a backup.

• @stupid-chris, all the problem is caused because this error:"*/system32/VERSION.dll" was broken

So you can download the "version.dll" and replace the old one, then all the problem is solved.