Home AOMEI Products Support

Can I restore backup file from USB flash drive with Aomei DataBackupper LiveCD?

edited February 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Is it possible to do a system restore from an existing backup file on an USB flash drive?

In other words: Does Aomei DataBackupper LiveCD contain all necessary USB drivers to be able to access an USB flash drive?

Related second question:

What about a restore from other computer in local network?

Peter

Comments

• You can restore, using the PE disk, from the backup on a flash drive.

Using the PE disk, with Window 7, if you wish to restore from a USB 3 port, then the PE disk must have those drivers on it - adding drivers is an optional step when you create the recovery disk.

You can restore a PC from a share flash drive on a network (assumes the flash drive has the appropriate Permissions set.

Recovery Disk = Recovery Flash drive too.

Recovery from a USB 2 drive will be very slow.

• @sidrick:

This is interesting. I tried it out and can confirm it.

But: shouldn't USB 3.0 downwards-compatible with USB 2.0?

So when Aomei DataBackupper is able to access USB flash drives on a physical USB 2.0 port then it should be able to access an USB flash drive on a physical USB 3.0 port in USB 2.0 MODE too!

Adding drivers for all possible USB 3.0 hardware is uncomfortable.

Isn't it possible to add some generic USB drivers which work (slow mode is acceptable) from USB 3.0 ports? Acronis TrueImage has done this. But actually I prefer Aomei DataBackupper.

Furthermore you mentioned share or NAS access.

Similarly to the USB access problem Aomei DataBackupper can only access fixed cable LAN shares or NAS backups.

In my case its my notebook which is connected only by WiFi. Unfortunately AoMei Data Backupper has no (generic) WiFi drivers built-in. So users cannot access backups on shares or NAS.

Is there a workaround for that?

I suggest to add generic WiFI drivers in the next release.

Thank you

Peter

• With Windows 7, USB 3 ports are not usable for any type of device until the drivers are installed.

Are not usb 3 drivers chipset specific to the motherboard (or peripheral card if installed) and whether 32 or 64 bit - seems like Acronis has gotten around this.

• Thanks Sidrick, you are right.

"Is it possible to do a system restore from an existing backup file on an USB flash drive?"

Yes you can restore the image from the USB but you need to create the bootable USB before you do the restore.

"What about a restore from other computer in local network?"

If you do the backup by Aomei Bckupper, you can restore it in LAN.

• iPhone Data Recovery can restore backup files instead of USB cable. If you have an iOS devices, you can use it to get data back. It offers three ways. One is restore data from iTunes backup files. Another is using iCloud backup files. No matter which one, you can restore backup files quickly and easy.

http://www.recovery-ipad.com/delete-ios-backup-files.html