Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper - very slow boot CD/USB (Windows PE)

Hi 

I installed Backupper a few days ago and my general impression is that it is great software. I used to use Norton Ghost for some time but Backupper suits betters my needs. It is faster and lighter. I'm very happy with it. I use Windows 10 and main application works perfectly. No problems at all. 

However I have a problem with boot CD/USB  (Windows PE environment). Both CD and UBS  can be created very easily, however for some reason booting and starting of backupper is extremely slow (couple of minutes, up to 10min). Most of all I can not perform backup up/recovery when using boot CD/USB as it is so slow. The progress bar stays at the same position (0%)

My computer is not new however it's reasonably good machine (Intel E8400@3GHz, 6GB RAM, Gigabyte Motherboard, SSD+HDD) 

There are no any error or system freezing. Just everything is extremely slow. I would be grateful for some comments and advice here. Thanks.

Tom

Comments

• Thanks for your suggestions, we will keep to improve our product.

For your question:however for some reason booting and starting of backupper is extremely slow (couple of minutes, up to 10min). 

Is that you boot the system is slow when you use the boot CD?

And what bacup you use? system backup or disk backup?

• Thank you for a quick response.

>Is that you boot the system is slow when you use theboot CD?

Yes, when I use boot CD (or USB) system is very slow.

Just to summary

1. Main application (Backupper) works very well underWindows10. No problem at all. I can create any type of backup I want. I haven'tchecked all options yet, but everything which I've tried worked fine. 

2. I use main windows application (Backupper) to create bootCD (or boot USB). That process is going well. I select Windows PE version ofthe boot CD/USB

3. When I boot my computer with that new 'boot CD"  (or boot USB) everything is very slow fromthe beginning. Starting the main application takes a few minutes at least.Finally it is starting fine after long time and seems to work OK (I mean I canchange tabs and options, app is responsive) but again when I try to do something ,for instance new partition backup,that process is extremely slow. There are no any errors. Just very slowoperation.  

>And what bacup you use? system backup or disk backup?

I’m not sure if I understand that question properly. Problemthat I’m describing is the same regardless of the backup type I chose and isonly present when I boot computer with CD or USB created before with windowsBackupper.

Thanks

Tom

--

• Ok, we got it.

We will improve it in the future.

Thanks again for your support.

• edited January 2016

Have you tried the Linux version of the boot CD? Its very small and very fast. I prefer it over then WinPE.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding among users: The Linux based CD can be used on Windows computers to restore the Windows backup. Linux is only used for starting the software on CD.

• edited January 2016

Hi

Thanks for advice about the Linux version. I tried it once but it was not responsive. Maybe it was due to the wireless mouse and keyboard which were not recognized properly. I will try again with wire keyboard/mouse. 

Best Regards

Tom

• #5 That's what I think. Wireless mouses and keyboards need special drivers that are not available on the boot CD's. Use wired ones.

• However wireless mouse/keyboard work with Windows PE boot CD.

• edited January 2016

Hello Tom

1) is seems not necessary to do backups from the bootable media. From my experience backups work well from the live system. And please consider doing mostly file backup of your data, and these can be restored in the live system. For system emergency a system backup is in order, specially on older hardware with BIOS and MBR disks.

2) Loading speed of WinPE is slow also for me (and with other products). I found that loading from a bootable media DVD, instead of a bootable Media CD, is much faster. USB sticks are not exactly a fast medium either. This speed has nothing to do with AEOMEI. I prefer to use bootable media DVD+RW for this reason, and create ISO that I burn for this case.

3) regarding the wireless mouse and keyboard on a single receiver, the receiver is a composite USB device, and such device type might not be handled by linuxcd. (Other examples are a camera containing an extra CDROM, that contains the driver setup). A non-composite wireless receiver should behave just like a regular wired mouse. My Microsoft wireless mouse works on WinPE and it does not show as a composite device.

4) I notice you complain about execution speed in WinPE after it has loaded. Ist this backup of the SSD? and where does the backup go to, is destination a USB2 or USB3 disk? In "bad" situations, it would connect only USB1.1 but I hope not so.

• Thanks Peter and Jonny.

Tom, is it clear for you now?

• edited January 2016

Thank you for detailed comments.

>1) is seems not necessary to do backups from the bootable media. From my experience backups work well

>from the live system. 

I do backups from live system and it works very well. I'm going to use boot CD only in the case of system recovery when my Windows will not be able to start. 

>2)  I found that loading from a bootable media DVD, instead of a bootable Media CD, is much faster. USB

>sticks are not exactly a fast medium either. 

I also tried to boot with DVD and that process is also very slow. It took more than 11 minutes to start Backuper, however it is useless as every operation takes ages. It is impossible to use it in practice. My computer behaves like 10MHz machine (it is 3GHz). Something is slowing it down when using Windows PE. 

>3) regarding the wireless mouse and keyboard on a single receiver, the receiver is a composite USB device,

> and such device type might not be handled by linuxcd. 

I tried with wired mouse and linux boot CD. This works very well. It takes 20-30s to start backuper. It seems to be a way to go for me as WindowsPE is useless.  

>4) I notice you complain about execution speed in WinPE after it has loaded. Ist this backup of the SSD?

Every operation is very slow with WindowsPE. I tried to backup one partition of HDD to another HDD. I didn't see any progress. It was 0% for quite long time but no errors. I guess that it would go to 1% If I waited long enough

Thanks again

Tom

• edited January 2016

Do other WinPE disks, notably a Windows install disk if you have one, boot faster? It is the same thing. I do not feel a difference between Windows disks (burnt ISOs) and AOMEI PE disks. Both load slow, but not unusably slow.

It is difficult to see from distance why your Core 2 class computer behaves as it does, specially with an SSD, and a Windows Setup disk would behave well at the same time.

It is known that Windows contains drivers for otherwise incompatible items, I remember a WD 250GB disk that BIOS did not support full size, but Windows XP did.

• Sorry for that.

You said it is very slow.

When it is slow? You use the boot CD/USB to do the backup?

Also what boot media you create? CD or USB?

Waiting for your reply.

• >Do other WinPE disks, notably a Windows install disk if you have one, boot faster?

I installed Windows7 from DVD a few times and didn't notice anything unusual. It was not very fast but on the other hand I didn't have to wait 10min for first screen to show up. I've just tried to boot my computer with Windows Recovery Disk (which I created before) and it was OK. It took aroung 90-120s 

>I do not feel a difference between Windows disks (burnt ISOs) and AOMEI PE disks.

>I  see the same when I use my second computer (laptop).  WindowsPE  version of

>Backupper CD works quite well on my laptop. I have a problem only with desktop. 

> It is difficult to see from distance why your Core 2 class computer behaves as it does,

> specially with an SSD, 

Completely agree. I have access to this computer : and there is very little I can do at the moment since there are no any error messages. Everything works but slowly. I don't want to mess up with setting in BIOS as my computer works in general OK.  

>When it is slow? You use the boot CD/USB to do the backup?

It is slow all the time when I boot computer with WindowsPE Backupper CD. In general I don’t use boot CD/USB to do backups. I do backups with main application working in Windows10. Just for a test I tried to do backup using boot CD/USB once or twice and as I wrote before it was so slow that I didn’t see any progress. It stayed at 0% for long  time.

>Also what boot media you create? CD or USB?

I tried with both CD and USB and WindowsPE behaves in similar way. There is no significant difference in boot up time between USB and CD 

• it is completely difficult to understand why your desktop is slow, as your laptop behaves regular. Are there options in BIOS to send CPU speed to very-low? I do not suggest to change anything, just to have a look. As bootable media does not only boot slowly, but work slowly afterwards, it can no longer be the CD-DVD drive suspect. It would be good to just have a script, a .bat that counts up to see it is the CPU, or it must be the IO system?

It could be the graphics card, I remember there are ATI graphics cards with ultra-low-power issues, but my issue (the laptop with that issue) did work regular with AOMEI bootable media.

• It there any another CD/DVD image (*.iso) based on WindowsPE available to download which I could use for testing my computer?  

• "It there any another CD/DVD image (*.iso) based on WindowsPE available to download which I could use for testing my computer?  " You need the bootable ISO with Aomei backupper? What the version you use now? Professoinal or standard?Waiting for your reply.

• edited January 2016

I sent Tomek a link that I found in the net. Please check Inbox at the top of this forum page. Otherwise may find "winpe iso" thru Google, if you are outside CN, or do have access to google.

• OK, thank you Peter.

• Thank you. I will try it later today.