Home Storage Guides, Tricks and Tips

Replace Windows File History on Laptop

Good Day All:

I'm fed up with Windows 10 File History.  It must be the worst implementation of a file recovery system I've ever seen.

I've researched and found AOMEI Backupper which seems to be a fairly comprehensive system and I'm suitably impressed that it doesn't cost major money.  (well done development team).

I have a simple question about how to replicate the File History functionality using Backupper.  

I've created a "File History" backup on a Surface Pro 3, but am backing up to an external USB 3.0 drive.  This process runs fantastically well when the drive is connected and run manually.

Next I created a scheduled task using the Backupper scheduler, which also runs fantastically well while the external drive is connected.  (it was scheduled to run every hour to backup changed files, similarly to the original Windows 10 File History was.

Now comes the complicated part.  

When disconnecting everything and taking the surface pro 3 mobile (as a laptop or tablet) the schedule still runs and Backupper gives an "out of disk space" error for each attempt at running the backup.

Is there any way, in the scheduler or within Backupper directly, to have the system "know" that the external drive is not connected and skip that backup instead of giving an error?

I don't expect it to run the file history to a temporary folder and move the contents to the external drive when it is connected (which is what Windows 10 File History does-- when and IF it works).  All I'm looking for is to suspend the backupper schedule while the drive is disconnected and then resume schedule when the drive is available.

Sounds simple, but I'm sure that is extremely difficult.

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions or assistance!

--Jon

Comments

• edited January 2016

Hi jon,
    Thanks for your appreciation.So sorry for the inconvenience. That's great idea. We'll forward to our dev team and improve our product.

• Thank you Neo.  Is there any kind of time-frame in which that would be made available?

• The shceduled backup will be running, except the computer is turned off or you do not log in the administrater account.