Home AOMEI Products Support

New Backup Schemes

Can I use the new Space Management Scheme if I am backing up using incremental backups? The description of the Space Management Scheme in the user manual uses differential backups as examples.

Comments

Hi Charlie,

You could change the scheduled backup way in advanced settings as the way on the picture.

• I understand I can change my backup from incremental to differential but my question was can I use the new space management scheme with incrementals.

Yes, you could.

there are methods on the website(http://www.backup-utility.com/help/backup-scheme.html).

• 1 - I understand that after 3 versions of backup image file, the older versions are deleted automaticaly. It's what happens for me. No versions are deleted at all.

2 - I have unchecked the option "make a full backup before performinbackup scheme" bacaus I allready had a full backup. Never the less it creates first a full backup and only after differential or incremential backups. 

I have version 3.0 with the new schemes.

• Sorry here is the right comment:

1 - I understand that after 3 versions of backup image file, the older versions are deleted automaticaly. It's not what happens for me: no versions are deleted at all.

2 - I have unchecked the option "make a full backup before performinbackup scheme" bacaus I allready had a full backup. Never the less it creates first a full backup and only after differential or incremential backups. 

• +1 I Have licensed this product and configured the backups specifically to take advantage of Space Management.  I also Use Incremental and I do not see any space management happening at all.  It appears to work exactly the same way as the free product (just keeps making backups).  Beautiful animation per screen prints above of multiple versions and backup removal, it just doesn't seem to happen ! Help Please !

• Hi guys,

What type of backup scheme you set? Please note that if you set incremental backup scheme, assume that you set 3 versions, then 3 versions will be treated as a group, only after the next group(3 versions) is completed, the older group(previous 3 versions) will be deleted automatically. And the group consists of one full backup and 2 incremental backups.

• Pretty Exactly per above.

- Enable Disk Space Management

- Incremental Backup Scheme

- I have 2 separate backups running - System and Data

- Default (Latest 3) versions of Backup Image File

- Delivered AMOEI Service

- It does *not* appear to be cleaning up. . .  . I have 4 Fulls Listed in the "Explore Images" window on both System and Data backups nd stored on my SAN, and this is after I cleared some manually for space issues. . . .

• make that 5 Fulls

• Can you please advise if you have any suggestions for getting Schemes running as advertised.  In the interim I have completely started a fresh and setup new default schemes from scratch.  I am still seeing issues with Old Backups not being cleaned up per the scheme rules . . .