Home AOMEI Products Support

PC fails to boot after installing Backupper Pro V3.1

edited August 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Dear Crew,

I've tried to upgrade the Backup Pro Version 3.0 program to the new 3.1 version but after installing it my computer (win8.1) doesn't want to boot anymore it just tries to boot over and over ..so i was very lucky to have Onekey installed too ..after restoring it it works well again.  For your information I installed it 7 times now then restarting the computer and it failed also 7 times  ...  I was only upgrading the Backupper program ... so the problem must be caused by the V3.1 program.......

If you need more info then pls let me know .... Regards Hanzo

Comments

• Bonjour,

Same problem with Windows 10 and Aomei Backupper Standard v.3.1, blue screen, and resettlement ghost.

• I have the very same problem as Hanzo. Just after a new backup with the new version I can't boot anymore

• I also have the same issue.  AND, I just performed my first full backup of Win10 after installing 3.1!

• I had the same problem, Windows 10 x64, Backupper pro.

I ran the setup of version 3.1 which uninstalled version 3.0 and immediately after that installed version 3.1. Then I did a reboot and the computer went into a loop of blue screens and boot errors. I was not able to recover from this situation with the recovery tools of Windows 10. I have never been in a situation like this before.

Well I finally restored from a Backupper image (luckily recently made), the image still had version 3.0 of Backupper. Now I did the following:

1) uninstall version 3.0

__2) reboot__

3) install version 3.1

4) reboot

And now version 3.1 is working. Seems that not rebooting after the uninstall is the cause of the failure to boot after upgrade.

But now I see some other errors with version 3.1:

1) random crashes of the program (Windows 10 starts analyzing the problem but Microsoft wizzard can't find a solution, so the program closes);

2) I sometimes get error 4105 (not enough memory, I have 16GB of memory, so probably some other kind of memory stack error is ment here);

-- version 3.0 worked OK without any problem.

Obviously this is very stressfull, I have bought the professional version, I make 2 automated incremental backups every day, sometimes an extra manual one. I have to be able to rely on these backups, I cannot allow that backups fail.

Any more people seeing random crashes and/or failed backups with error 4105?

Maybe better go back to version 3.0?

• 3.1 is having difficulty installing the drivers.

If you are in a no boot situation, use your favourite winpe .

From booted winpe, open regedit.exe, highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click FILE> load hive.

Browse to your installed windows partiton\windows\system32\config and select the file called SYSTEM. Give it a name, e.g. SYS

Then remove the bolded value below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYS\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
    "UpperFilters"=ambakdrv
  • BTW:
    I have just joined this forum to post information on my experiences/frustration with version 3.1 (and of course hopefully get some answers for the problems too)...

I received a welcoming email, but it was completely empty, only the following text:

"EmailWelcome"

So here too seems to be something that needs to have a closer look at.

Hopefully this was helpful... image

• In the registry the named key 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
    "UpperFilters"

has now the value of:

ambakdrv klbackupdisk

Is this OK?

• I can vouch for the method described by SIW2 as being the solution.

• What happened here: 3.1 also rendered my win10 unbootable.  I made a win10-64 iso, booted it, and found that I had created a couple restore points BETWEEEN installing win10 and installing backup 3.1.  I did a restore from one of those restore points.  Although it error'ed out according to MS, I WAS able to reboot successfully back into windows.

Somehow .. I feel .. backup 3.2 approaching.  Think I'll wait a week or two before installing it though.

• "has now the value of:

ambakdrv klbackupdisk"

You need to change it to just:

klbackupdisk

Looks like klkbackupdisk is a different driver, which you must have already installed. That is nothing to do with Aomei.

• So would any drive Windows 10 itself?

• Maybe all these issues and probs should be fixed and solved with a new version?

(Messing with registry shouldn't be recommended to most people, only for savvy fellows, IMO)

• Same situation here, I installed AOMEI Backupper 3.1 (this version automatically uninstalled v3.0). Next day, my PC (Windows 8.1) went into a boot / reboot loop.

I tried to restore an old image with the Linux Boot USB-Stick, but no luck. AOMEI Backupper was locked in the upper left screen, no keyboard oder mouse use was possible.

Then I reinstalled Windows 8.1 into my system drive, installed AOMEI 3.1 and created an WinPE Boot USB-Stick. Finally a full restore of an old image was possible. This image had AOMEI Backupper 2.0.1 installed and I re-installed all the new software, that was a lot, without doing a reboot. I also installed AOMEI Backupper 3.1 again. A couple of minutes later I did a reboot and the boot / reboot loop re-occurred.

First I thought, it might be a hardware-failure, so I decided to test Windows 10, AOMEI is still not installed and the system was stable after a reboot.

Now I found this thread and was really not surprised that AOMEI managed to crash my PC with this new version.

How should I trust this software any more? We bought the Technician variant and SMTP notification is availabe since v2.0 but it doesn't work, no matter what we try!

Really, this is so frustrating that AOMEI Backupper is full of bugs and unreliable feature, I am really fed up in the meantime!

I am unable to find any more arguments to propose AOMEI Backupper for commercial environments.

• Same situation here, I installed AOMEI Backupper 3.1 (this version automatically uninstalled v3.0). Next day, my PC (Windows 8.1) went into a boot / reboot loop.

I tried to restore an old image with the Linux Boot USB-Stick, but no luck. AOMEI Backupper was locked in the upper left screen, no keyboard oder mouse use was possible.

Then I reinstalled Windows 8.1 into my system drive, installed AOMEI 3.1 and created an WinPE Boot USB-Stick. Finally a full restore of an old image was possible. This image had AOMEI Backupper 2.0.1 installed and I re-installed all the new software, that was a lot, without doing a reboot. I also installed AOMEI Backupper 3.1 again. A couple of minutes later I did a reboot and the boot / reboot loop re-occurred.

First I thought, it might be a hardware-failure, so I decided to test Windows 10, AOMEI is still not installed and the system was stable after a reboot.

Now I found this thread and was really not surprised that AOMEI managed to crash my PC with this new version.

How should I trust this software any more? We bought the Technician variant and SMTP notification is availabe since v2.0 but it doesn't work, no matter what we try!

Really, this is so frustrating that AOMEI Backupper is full of bugs and unreliable feature, I am really fed up in the meantime!

I am unable to find any more arguments to propose AOMEI Backupper for commercial environments.

• @SIW2  2:16 AM

Thank you for the information, I will change that setting.

I hope the problems will be solved in next version 3.2... :)

• First ver 3.1 trashed my newly-updated-to WIn 10 machine. Goes into infinite loop trying to boot. I thought it was a Win 10 problem. I had cloned the hard drive prior to the upgrade so I installed the clone and put the machine back to Win 8.1. Upgraded from ver 2.8 to 3.1 (at this point I had no idea that Aomei Backupper had caused the probem) and trashed the Win 8.1 machine. No more clones to fall back to. Took out an old Win XP machine that hasn't run in ages. Downloaded the full ver 2.8 install from the AOMEI web site and tried to install in the XP machine. Now the XP machine won't boot either. Since it was ver 2.8 that crashed the XP machine it appears there is more going on here than just a 3.1 problem. The amount of damage that's been done from this program is staggering. How many users are there? How many computers are being destroyed? No way to boot these computers after running this install.

• Aomei expensive programmers,

Run soon to fix this problem, or at least show an alternative solution as quickly as possible.

• Already have people in the fanpage complaining about the same problem.

Anxiously expecting a release of Aomei PE Builder, now after this problem seems it will take more.

• A product full ob bugs. We bought the Technician variant for our company. I wish I had never done that (see my complaint about SMTP notification).

The reaction of AOMEI? Just one word ...

NONE !!!

• Aomei,

be revealed

• I realize I paid nothing for this application, as I've only used the free product.  That said, this experience has erased my confidence in this application's ability to function.  I have switched to a competing product.  I suggest that anyone else who cares about their data do the same.

• The application works great! The problem is happening with Windows 10.

Windows has its own security flaws, etc ..

We have to have a little patience and wait correct this error

• Sorry, but this is NOT a windows 10 problem. It fools you into thinking that if you run the AOMEI upgrade right after upgrading to Windows 10. But Win 10 had nothing to do with it. It crashed my Win 8.1 machine exactly the same as the Win 10 machine. Then, to add insult to injury, the identical problem was created on an old XP machine after trying to install (old) version 2.8.

It's hard to imagine a more insidious problem than having the very software you're depending on to protect your data being responsible for destroying it. Whatever went wrong here, there's simply no excuse for this significant a bug ever making it into production!  I just went through hell recovering this machine.  I've never seen anything like this. Never again!

• Sadly I have the same issue two pcs with ineccible boot device.. one of them not even boot into bios... I email support and they said they will work on this,,,,  why the 3.1 version still there it should be remove ASAP.... one of my friends updated and now he has a very expensive pc which it wont bot..... version 3.0 works on win 10 just leave that until you can sucessfully patch version 3.2

• Hi guys,

Sorry for the problem. We have fixed the boot issue after installing ver3.1. And have updated the installation file of ver3.1 on Augest 7. Have you downloaded the new file to try?

And as SIW mentioned, if you are not able to boot after upgrading to ver3.1, you can make a boot PE disk, then boot from the disk, run regedit, then mount the C:/Windows/System32/Config/System  After that follow this path: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}  to delete the ambakdrv under UpperFilters in the right column. 

Then you can boot your computer. 

If there are still any problems with new ver3.1 file, please let us know.

• Nothing for nothing a backup program which leaves the computer bootless.

No excuse for this .

This should have been tested before it was rolled out.

• Hello,

I am a new member as of 14/Aug/15 and just came over to browse the forums. I was horrified when I read this thread as I have just come over from Acronis True Image because of lack of support for installing drivers when creating bootable media. I have installed Backupper V3.1 on all my 3 Windows 10 machines and must have been lucky as I have no booting problems.

Acronis True Image has never let me down until I upgraded (was a warranty thing actually) to an Intel 750 series PCIe SSD which isn't supported by the version I have a license for (2014).

I'm not working now as 60 seems to be to old for employers so free software was welcome.

Everything seems to be working fine, thanks AOMEI for fixing this before I started using it.

Just saying.

• edited August 2015

Hello again,

I did notice when making bootable media for non efi system that the media would not boot from USB drive which was created by Backupper 3.1, formatted in NTFS. My workaround was to create an ISO and use PowerISO to write the poroduct to the USB drive. Worked fine after this.

Just saying

• What a load of crap!!! I installed this and my computer wouldn't boot. Windows repair couldn't fix it and only the 4th previous restore point would work. I finally fixed it after hours of work. How can you possibly trust something as useless as this with something as important as backup? I have lost all trust in Aomei and will be uninstalling all programs I have from them. I spit om Aomei and I won't be back here ever again.

• Crap no friend, the program is used by about 3 million users.

The error has been corrected