Home AOMEI Products Support

Win10 Back Up Issues with 3.0 standard

What I have discovered over weekend that when you back up live system using VSS and restore it to new hard drive, recovered drive is not bootable.  Had to boot of the win10 setup and run repair, that fixed boot issue but windows still couldn't fully boot up and ended up reinstalling OS from scratch.  Anyone else had similiar experience?

Comments

• If the backup that was made was NOT a "System Backup", then your restored new hard drive will NOT be bootable.  From what I'm learning about AOMEI Backupper, thats the only way to get it to recover and the target disk will be bootable.

• If you select Disk Backup, this should include the MBR or GPT information, What can happen sometimes is the Active flag doesn't get recovered, which will make Windows report no bootable disk.

IF you have AOMEI Partition Assistant or similar disk utility, it is always worth running that just to check if the disk is marked as Active. If it isn't, the uitlity can do this (as can DiskPart from Windows) which will save you the time of repairing the install.

• Is this a KNOWN PROBLEM that is scheduled to get fixed, or just a work around ?

• i used disk backup not a system backup ... just to clarify which should have grabbed ALL the info..

• next test I will do is back up drive using winpe and restore it to new drive and try to boot.

• I have 6 different disk imaging utilities from four different companies, all of them display this problem where sometimes the disk isn't made active again upon restore.