Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI Backupper not seeing one system drive

I have a dual boot system and Backupper was seeing both system drives when I clicked on System Backup and was backing up both drives. I recently upgraded my SATA C-Drive to SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive). The other system drive was not touched.

Now when I click on System Backup it only lists the C-Drive and not the other system drive which is my J-Drive.

What can I do to remedy this situation? Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Regards,

Ray Allen.

Comments

• I have now installed Backupper on my second system (J-Drive above) and on there Backupper recognises both system drives so I am able to backup both systems in one backup there. That has partially solved the problem.

But I would still like to know why the C-Drive system above does not recognise both system drives.

Regards,

Ray Allen.

• I use a dual boot menu to select between Home and Ultimate.

If the drive with the boot menu is selected (Home) , then a system backup only selects that drive.

If I boot into the second drive (Ultimate) a system backup selects both drives.

When doing a system restore (I'm selecting the system backup) both system drives will be offered - this isn't what I want.

To get around both drives being backed up whether I like it or not, during the normal restart, I press F8 so that I can directly select the HDD I wish to boot then do a system backup.

• edited July 2015

Hi sidrick,

Aomei is working correctly.

1) System backup ( and restore ) will automatically include all partitions needed for the normal boot and functioning of the os you are backing up (or restoring). That means both the Boot and System partitions will be included. Depending on your configuration, one partition may be boot and system.

Your Home os is on a partition which is Boot and System. Therefore only that single partition is included.

Your Ultimate os is on a partition which will be labelled Boot ( in windows disk mgmt for example ), but the Home os partition will still be labelled as System (check in ms disk mgmt to see ) That is why both of the partitions are included.

2) If you prefer to select which partition(s) to back up manually, then select "partition backup" instead of "system backup".

All drive imaging programs do it that way.

• No these are separate drives - not partitions on the same drive.

Using EasyBCDBoot and selecting 'Home Edition', this is what you get with a system backup.

• They are separate drives.

When Home Edition is selected, one drive is offered.

When Ultimate is selected, two dives are offered.

• My situation is exactly the same as that one above.

I have two opertating systems (one is 32-bit the other is 64-bit) and two separate drives.

The 32-bit system used to see both OSs but now it doesn't. The 64-bit system sees both OSs just like the post above.

Is this normal?

Regards,

Ray Allen.

• Doesn't matter if they are separate disks.

System backup will include both the "system" partition and the "boot" partition, wherever they are.

If you want to select which partitions to image, then use the other option called "Partition Backup"

• I think we have a failure to communicate.

Look at the posted images:

1. If Home edition is booted and system backup is selected, only that C drive is selected.

2. If Ultimate is booted and system backup is selected, both drives are selected C which is the Ultimated drive and "G" which is the Home Edition drive.....

They are separate drives not separate partitions and AOMEI is determined to respond differenly depending on which autonomous drive (not partiton) is booted.

• Try this:

1) Boot into your Home edition os.

Open windows disk management.

Make a note which partition is listed as "system" and which is listed as "boot".

You can find windows disk mgmt by typing diskmgmt.msc into the start search box.

2) Now restart your pc and boot into your Ultimate os. Check windows disk management and see which partition is listed as "system" and which is listed as "boot".

• By default you only have ONE "system" partition on your machine.

You can have 10 disks, but still just ONE "system" partition. That will obviously only be on one of the disks.

If you are multibooting, you will several os partitions, perhaps on several different disks.

A SYSTEM backup includes that one system partition and the selected os partition.

• "1. If Home edition is booted and system backup is selected, only that C drive is selected.

If Ultimate is booted and system backup is selected, both drives are
    selected C which is the Ultimated drive and "G" which is the Home
    Edition drive....."

1.That is because your Home edition partion is "system". If you are booted into Home edition the same Home Edition partition is also "boot". It is both. Therefore only that one partition needs to be imaged.

2. When you boot into your Ultimate os, the Ultimate partition is "boot", but the Home edition partition is still "system". That is why both partitions need to be imaged, irrespective of being on different disks.

• Then a restore from the backup files on option (2) will do a restore on both disks?