Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper will not create working PE or Linux boot disk, Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit

2»

Comments

• Glad to know it passes. Seems it was Ammy.

• SIW2, I guess I was too short when I said "pass".  What I was saying was that I would not touch this file either given the significant number of hits from well known virus scanners.

If the virus/trojan hits are due to Ammy as you assume, could you explain why a 'remote access desktop program' is needed to create a PE disk?  Could the disk creation process not be be accomplished with a .BAT file?

• Ammy is not required to build winpe. It is a useful program to include, along with many others - recuva, eset and the new dism version, etc. That way you have everything you may need in one bootable media.

I think you will find the 47 a/v who know the file is good are the very big names, most widely used. That is because they know what the file is.

The small number who complain do not know. They can't know unless one their users tells them they are flagging False Positives. Then they will whitelist it.

If you are interested, the file is GWT or GetWaikTools.exe - widely used for a long time by geeks and sysadmins. That is how the 47 know it is good.The few that are not aware of it are probably not a/v's used by geeks and sysadmins. 

A small number of a/v are veryfar behind - some of them even still flagging up Nir Sofers programs, would you believe.

• SIW2....thank you for the explanation regarding Ammy and the other programs. 

Without getting into a spitting contest, McAfee, Symantec, TrendMicro are generally regarded as significant players in the anti-virus market. 

I noted that TrendMicro's Housecall did not identify any issues with the file: a very curious anomoly.

• Just tested the famous winbuilder. Gets some False Positives from  a few at Virustotal as well. Not surprised. All these kind of projects will. I might add my pe projects have been used by hundreds over on sevenforums. No complaints from the users, they are delighted.

• SIW2 :  If you get back this way, would like to know if you have a pe builder for 8.1, 32bit.

• Hi RC44, 

Full featured pe includes windows explorer, wireless, audio, etc. As far as I know, mine is the only system to create that from the hard drive. Others have tried and failed. The issue is the updates, I have worked it out for win7pe which now works perfectly.

Not really feasible to create full featured pe from the hard drive with 8 series. Too many updates for the full version. But is should be fairly simple to create a decentish 8 series pe with a menu, so you can e.g. access reset/refresh as well as backupper, partion assistant, and perhaps explorer++. Something like that will be much better than any of the backup programs themselves create.

• Understood, thanks for your reply.

• Will post up something to create simple but useful 81pe if you like.

• SIW2 : That would be appreciated. I have not been able to burn a workable Aomei disc

with either Backupper or PE Builder 1.4.

• Hi RC,

You seem to have an issue with ancient files from the consumer preview lying around. I assume you have been running "upgrade" installs.

Try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kx2oclztaa15qb/AOMEIPE.zip?dl=0

Unzip it onto your drive, so you will have C:\AOMEIPE folder. Run as admin on the run-me-as-admin.cmd. It will be a fairly simple pe so should be very quick.

• SIW2: Tried your program, but seems bootable.wim could not be found. I see Recovery

folder in C:, but it appears to be empty. My 8.1 is an upgrade from 8.0, and as I have seen

elsewhere, you can not make a recovery disc with it. I do have a large winpe.wim file on

my computer, 136,572KB, which used by a different program to make a disc, but don't know if I could use it with your program. Thanks for your efforts.

*****RECOMMENDED*****

bootable wim not found. Would you like to d/l en-US winpe from MS ?

Download winpe  ? (Y/N) :  y
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                               Download winpe and tools from MS

[1]  7x86 winpe and tools about 120mb

[2]  7x64 winpe and tools about 140mb

[3]  8.1x86 winpe and tools about 160mb

[4]  8.1x64 winpe and tools about 175mb

[5]  Exit
    Enter Choice : 3

Downloading 8.1 x86 tools.......to "C:\AOMEIPE\AOMEIPE\PE\8.1x86"

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                     Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
    100 3096k  100 3096k    0     0   428k      0  0:00:07  0:00:07 --:--:--  440k
    100  256k  100  256k    0     0   482k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  497k
    100  256k  100  256k    0     0   430k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  442k

100 1263k  100 1263k    0     0   441k      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:--  444k

This version of C:\AOMEIPE\AOMEIPE\BIN\x64\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe is not com
    patible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system
     information and then contact the software publisher.

Looking for  WinRE...
     WinRE path: C:\Recovery\948c6607-3b8c-11e2-9918-cb42ec81a838
    bootable.wim Not Found...
    Cannot continue
    PRESS ANY KEY TO EXIT

• If you have a copy winpe.wim already, just copy and paste it into the C:\AOMEIPE folder, right next to the run-me-as-admin.cmd.

Then when you run the cmd file, it will find that winpe.wim immediately.

• SIW2: Below is the contents of my AOMEIPE folder. The odd thing is that there is now an ISO

folder, 189MB, yet the iso files generated are only 34 KB. I figure I am doing something wrong, or it might just be my system. Either way, I thank you for your time, and think it is not worth any more of your effort right now. I will settle on using the Linux disc if and when I do have to do a restore.      

• Looks fine. I made an error in the .cmd file, so the .iso file wasn't created properly on x86 system.Thanks for finding that for me.

The ISO folder is there for a reason. You should find ISO/sources/boot.wim.

You can copy the contents of the ISO folder onto a flash drive ( not the folder itsef, just evrything that is inside) - [If you haven't already,  you can format the flash using disk management, for example. Obviously before copying the files onto it ]

You can also reset your broken recovery options:

1) rename the boot.wim to winre.wim

2)From an admin command, type:

reagentc /disable

(then press enter)

reagentc /setreimage /path C:/AOMEIPE/ISO/sources

(then press enter)

reagentc /enable

(then press enter)

• SIW2 : I took the folders inside ISO and used ImgBurn to create as iso file. I burned a cd, but it would not boot. I used rufus to use that iso to make a bootable thumb drive, but I only got a blank screen with a blinking bar in the upper left hand corner. Now I am thinking maybe the winpe.wim file I have is not quite complete. I will rename winpe.wim and try again to build an iso, letting the program download the needed files and see if it looks different.

I will try the procedure to set the path to winre.wim. From what I understand, you would change the name from boot to winre after you were finished using the folder ISO to create a boot disc.

• 1) The bcd entry in the ISO folder points at \sources\boot.wim.

Therefore, when you copy the entire contents of the ISO folder to usb, it still needs to be called boot.wim. It should be bootable then.

2) If you want a bootable .iso file for burning to cd, you need the bios
    boot binaries, for what is called the El Torito boot sector in an .iso file. The MS binary for bios bootable .iso file is called etfsboot.com.That is what you don't
    have, and why the .iso my batch tried to create didn't work.

2) To get reagentc to see a bootable .wim on your hard drive is different. Reagentc will only recognise the name winre.wim.You would therefore need to rename c:\aomeipe\iso\sources\boot.wim to winre.wim, before issuing the reagentc commands.

• SIW2 : I just noticed the message below. As you said, I'm missing that file.

mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image 'BOOT/ETFSBOOT.COM' inside the target tree.        

I did as you suggested about the boot.wim file. After that, out of curiosity, I went to File History, Recovery, to see if I could now make a recovery disc. Instead of getting the usual "missing files" message, the process finished, using the usb stick I had tried earlier. I thought I might end up with a Windows recovery disc, but what I got was your program on a bootable thumb drive. A few buttons are not active, and there are a couple of programs I am not familiar with, but I have the two Aomei programs, explorer, boot manager program, cmd, and a registry editor, which is about all I would generally need (and know how to use) to get out of trouble. For me, this is a very nice boot disc to have. Thanks.

The one odd thing is that the drive letters are a bit out order. I have two disks and the system drive is C:, but all the programs that show the drives have C: for systen reserve, and the system drive as J:, which is assigned to a partion on the second disk. When I tried Homer's iso, it did the same thing. His was built on a 64 bit system. When I did use the Aomei Backuper PE disk, the partitiions did show up in the proper order, although with no mouse pointer showing, it took me over an hour to do a restore.

I don"t know how it worked, but I got a nice rescue disk. Thanks again. 

• edited June 2015

I think I left a couple of empty buttons on the menu in that build. A couple of the programs I made, so you won't be familiar with them. Hopefully they are self explanatory.

Glad it is working for you. image

Thanks for the feedback, I will fix a few of the issues with the cmd file, and post fixed version when it is done.

Drive letters are different when viewed from winpe, that is normal.

• SIW2 : Tried the new version. I ran it without adding my winpe.wim file to see what would happen. This time your program did download the wim file, and it is the exact same size as the copy I have. I wasn't sure if my copy was a full one, as the size wasn't the same size that was listed in your program.  When asked if I wanted to load any drivers, I put n as I do not know just what I might need or the right files to load. I put y to download RCUVA and ESET, they did download, but their buttons were not active in the program. The program finished without any error messages, and I let it burn a cd, which boots and works well.

There were two new buttons, I think they were DISM programs. Inactive buttons were RECOPTS, ONEKEY, RCUVA, and ESET. Under AONEIPEv2, in  PRGS, there are recuva.exe and  esetmartinstaller.exe (among others), but they didn"t seem to make it onto the disk.

I am not a tech person, have limited computer knowledge, but can follow clear instructions. I appreciate the lesson on using "reagentc", I learned something new.

My computers are both 8.1 that started as 8.0,  32 bit, both upraded through MS store, leaving them with an empty "Recovery" folder. I guess that is what is causing the problems. Your new program does seem to work well for my setup. Thank you.image

• edited June 2015

Thanks, RC.

I made a couple of typos.

If you use the explorer you should find x:\program files\recuva.exe is there, and you can start it from there as well.

Eset wasn't copied to the wim due to another typo in the .cmd file. Will fix those little details.

Note:You won't have RECOPTS if you used winpe.wim. MS own Recovery options are only in winre.wim.

•  SIW2 : Tried v3. I copied the winpe.wim file made using v2 and placed it below Run-me-as-AdminV3.cmd. When I ran the program, I got the bootable.wim not found message, and had to download the winpe.wim file again. For some reason the copied winpe.wim wasn't recognized this time.

The section asking if you wanted to download Recova and Eset displayed twice, one following the other. The cursor was at the end of the second message. There was no problem getting the download.

The process finished fine with a good bootable cd. The butons for Recuva and Eset are active. I ran Eset, and it worked as it should. The only buttons not working are Recopts (which I realize that due to my setup, is not available) and Onekey. I don"t know what that program is.

Seems trying to get a PE program to work correctly on an upgraded 8.1 system is quite a chore. I appreciate your efforts on this.

• It is interesting and hopefully will be useful to a lot of people.

I usually build much more complex pe. Doing it myself is one thing, but getting it work remotely for multiple os via batch file is another.

Thanks for the feedback.

It finds winpe.wim for me. Not able to reproduce your result.Was it called exactly winpe.wim? If you used the copy saved to the PE folder, you would have to change the name from 8.1x86winpe.wim to simply winpe.wim.

This is the sequence:

First it looks in it's own directory for winre.wim, then boot .wim, then winpe.wim ( I.E it first searches inside the AOMEIPEv3 folder ). If none of those are present, it then looks for winre.wim on your hard drive. If winre.wim on your hard drive can't be found, it will offer to d/l winpe.wim from MS. It will also save copy of the downloaded winpe.wim into the PE folder. The saved copy is renamed so you know what it is.

Might add a bit so it also searches the PE folder for whatever winpe.wim you may have downloaded previously. Somewhat unlikely scenario, though.

ONEKEY is another AOMEI program. If you had onekey installed, it should have been included. If you don't have have it installed, the onekey button on the menu will be inactive.

( If you are using Backupper, you won't need ONEKEY, which is a cut down version of Backupper, simplified as a "one click" program.)

• SIW2 : Understood, thanks for the information.

• @SIW2: "The issue is the updates, I have worked it out for win7pe which now works perfectly."

True for Backupper I guess, but still not for PEBuilder - so without the additional Partition Tools that environment is still not 'full featured'.

• Stej,

It works for partition assistant as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ehk05f0fzz9aeo/AOMEIPEv4.zip?dl=0