Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI Backupper Standard Edition 2.8 (Using Windows bootdisk on Linux partitions - No Network)

Found a wierd issue.

1. Create ISO Boot disk using Backupper

2. Mount it it to a virtual machine running WIndows 7 (ESXi 5.0)

3. Boot from ISO (Works Fine - Network Card is detect)

=======This is were it gets wierd===============

1. On the Same ESXi 5.0 Server mount the ISO to a Linux VM

2. Boot from ISO (Network Adapter not found) 

Both Windows & Linux VMs are using "Adapter Type: E1000" my only guess is that the AOMEI Backupper Boot disk takes additional drivers from the windows Hard disk is this true?

(Currently trying to add all the drivers from C:\Windows\inf\ into the Backupper ISO)

Really love all your applications especially "AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 5.6"

Comments

• I tried the below:-

- Adding all C:\Windows\Inf (Failed)
    - Adding all inf from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713 (failed)

It's either that "Add drivers" only uses SATA/SCSI drivers or it does not work @ all :-(

It appears in "Device manager" as "Intel Pro 1000 MT Network Connnection" & when I try to get drivers from Intel:-

Detailed Description

No Downloads Available
    - Driver updates and Intel(R) PROSet for Windows Device Manager for these Intel(R) Ethernet adapters are not available for download. 
    - These adapters are only supported by the drivers included "in box" with Microsoft Windows* 7 and Windows* Server 2008 R2.
    - No driver or software updates are planned for these adapters.

So since I was using a Windows 7 SP1 64-bit system to create the disk & also added C:\Windows drivers it should worked but no luck getting network working :-(

Please let me know a  solution to this problem

• I also tried adding the 3 other NIC types to the Linux VM but none got detected :-(

• The last thing I tried was to create the disk on Windows 7 SP1 32-bit but no luck will just have to wait for an "Admin" or Techy to answer as I have no officially exahausted all other methods to get it working :-(

• I did boot from the Linux AOMEI Backupper on the linux system & that works but since it does not offer "Backup" it's useless to me :-(

This also confirms that AOMEI Backupper boot disk is using the OS Drivers from the hard disk & not the AOMEI Boot (CD) disk drivers for the network component

• I don't know what is needed by your "Linux vm".

However, if you want to add drivers from your windows installation, the place to get them from is %windir%\system32\driverstore\filerepository. You may also need to use the /forceunsigned switch.

• Ok thanks I did a *.inf inside the "%windir%\system32\driverstore\filerepository" to get everything & currently creating disk using GUI :-)

Not sure how to do /forceunsigned guessing I will have to do that in command line prompt after booting from the disk :-)

(But all of these should be microsoft signed drivers in these directories)

• I just tried it the new ISO which was created based off all the .INF files in "%windir%\system32\driverstore\filerepository" made the ISO over 1GB & took hours to make it but still no love :-(

Thanks for the idea though will jsut have wait for another solution

• It is better if you know which drivers you need.If you try and add them all, that will include gigantic things of no use, e.g. the huge nvidia drivers.

/Forceunsigned is needed because not all the drivers in the repository have .cat files.

I have no idea which drivers you need, or even if that is the problem.

However, if you think  you need the intel drivers, you can include them in pe.Though it is not obvious.

For example, if you look in

PROWinx64.exe\PROXGB\Winx64\NDIS62\WinPE\readme.txt, it tells you how to do it.

It tells you to unzip the:

PROWinx64.exe\PROXGB\Winx64\NDIS62\WinPE\ixe62x64.zip\ixe62x64.inf

and use that to REPLACE the larger file of the same name in the parent directory.

So you get the .inf from the zip and overwrite the same named inf here:

PROWinx64.exe\PROXGB\Winx64\NDIS62\ixe62x64.inf

• It is better if you know which drivers you need.If you try and add
    them all, that will include gigantic things of no use.

I have no idea which drivers you need, or even if that is the problem.

However, if you think you need the intel drivers, you can include them in pe.Though it is not obvious.

For example, if you look in

PROWinx64.exe\PROXGB\Winx64\NDIS62\WinPE\readme.txt, it tells you how to do it.

It tells you to unzip the:

PROWinx64.exe\PROXGB\Winx64\NDIS62\WinPE\ixe62x64.zip\ixe62x64.inf

and use that to REPLACE the larger .inf file of the same name in the parent directory.

So you get the ixe62x64.inf from the zip and overwrite the same named inf here:

PROWinx64.exe\PROXGB\Winx64\NDIS62\ixe62x64.inf

• edited June 2015
  • Thanks for your assist but tried that trick with replacing the .inf from the zip to the parent directory + adding all the inf from PROWinx64.exe\PROXGB\Winx64\NDIS62\WinPE\ixe62x64.zip\

Looks like I have to convert to the dark side image (Eg. use Clonezilla to get my work done)