Home AOMEI Products Support

Problems and bugs in AOMEI Backupper Technician 2.5 ...

edited May 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello,

we use AOMEI Backupper Technician 2.5 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 to create backups to a remote NAS. There are 2 problems or bugs in our environment ...

1) SMTP Notification is not possible. 'Sorry, failed to send the test message' is the output. We use our own SMTP-Server on port 25 without encryption. Using telnet, I am able to send SMTP-mails to the same SMTP-server, but with AOMEI Backupper this fails? Does AOMEI need further Roles or Features on Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

2) Could you please arrange, that AOMEI tasks that are scheduled, are set to run, no matter if users are logged on or not. The tasks are always scheduled to only run, when users are logged on. That's annoying!

Regards,

DiWi

Comments

• for question1, you can send us the configurations of your SMTP server in backupper so that we might fix it soon.

question2, You
    can right click My Computer--manage--system tools--task scheduler--task
    scheduler library to open the backup task .In General, you can check the option Run whether user is logged on or not . In
    Conditions, you can also check the option Wake the computer to run the task if needed.

• DiWi, check if the backupper executable is listed and allowed in the firewall configuration.

• 1) I already deactivated the firewall with the same result 'Sorry, failed to send the test message'. Aomei Backupper is unable to send SMTP-mails to an SMTP-server? Why?

Using telnet.exe, SMTP notification works. What's wrong with Aomei?

2) I know that I can change the options in the Task Scheduler, but I wish to have this option in Aomei Backupper and not a scheduled task, which I need to manually change again in the Task Scheduler afterwards, each time I generate scheduled tasks. Is that possible?

Regards,

DiWi

• imageCan you send a screenshot of your notification settings as above.

We'll add the option to run Scheduled backup when logged off in Aomei Backupper. What version of Backupper you use? If you use Backupper 2.5 or latter version, and you only change the setting to run scheduled backup when logged off, it won't modify the settings in Task Scheduler.

• Here we go with the screenshot ...

imageAOMEI_Backupper_Technician_Notification-Settings.PNG

We use no authentication, nor encryption internally. If you use telnet.exe via command line, we are able to send SMTP mails, with AOMEI Backupper not!

At the moment, we use AOMEI Backupper v2.5 (not 2.8).

• Furthermore, I am missing a screen, where I can see the scheduled running tasks and an option to cancel them!

That's really necessary.

Regards,

DiWi

• When do you intend to reply with a good result?

Regards,

DiWi

• I suggest you use SSL (port 465) to try again.

• Our SMTP-server does not use SSL. Why does AOMEI need SSL, that doesn't make sense and is no solution to our problem!

Your reply and solution is appreciated.

• May 21, you said"Using telnet.exe on the same server, where AOMEI Backupper is installed, sucessfully can send SMTP-notifications!' What happens with that?

• I said, I can successfully send SMTP-notifications with the command line 'telnet.exe' on the same server, where AOMEI Backupper is installed, but that's useless for me, as I need to send SMTP-notifications from within AOMEI Backupper and that's not possible, because your product has bugs!

Here is another thread from a different user ...

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/1325/aomei-backupper-2-8-smtp-notification#Item_3

... which has the same problem!

When is this problem fixed from AOMEI?

• Finally AOMEI Backupper Technician 3.0 and 3.1 have been released. Unfortunately, neither SMTP notification over AOMEI SMTP server (Send mode 1, Send mode 2), nor the use of internal SMTP server works.

How long will it last, before I can use the full functionality of the product, specially as a Technician user?

This is really annoying!

• I have the same issue too :-)

Looking at our untangle firewall it does not even report that SMTP traffic is even trying to go outbound even though our Windows firewall is disabled when using AOMEI SMTP Server & the use your own SMTP Server is not working either.

I would say that the SMTP module is completely broken & is not even triggering an email.

Test on Windows 2008 Server R2 with AOMEI Backupper Server Edition 3.1

Our company is thinking about buying the program but we would like this fixed.

Temporarly I will be using a command line script to check/poll the modified date

1. http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

2.  Script (Eg. "Monitor-Date.bat)" to use to check date:-

forfiles /P "E:\FOLDERNAME" /D %DATE% /c "cmd /c if @isdir==FALSE echo. @file is up to date (Last Backup: @fdate).  >> "E:\Scripts\Monitor\UpToDate.txt"

"C:\Program Files\sendEmail-v156\Sendemail" -f [email protected] -t [email protected] -s mailServer:25 -u FolderNAME Daily Up To Date Notice -o message-file="E:\Scripts\Monitor\UpToDate.txt"

del E:\Scripts\Monitor\UpToDate.txt

"E:\FOLDERNAME" = Directory of the saved backups (Can use a mapped drive)
    "E:\Scripts\Monitor" = Directory were the bat file is located

(You can use net use in the script to mount the mapp drive if using mapped drive)

If you set this as a scheduled windows daily task & if you don't get a email you know that the folder has not done a backup :-)

(Not the best way of doing it but temporarly for me it will work)

• I stand corrected I have received an email from AOMEI Notification using their own servers.

It works if the firewall is open but still displays "Sorry, failed to send the test message" even though I received the email after few seconds but it can take longer.

However using your own POSTFIX mail server does not work :-(

• I must say, I have lots of troubles with this software and I am an expert since more than 20 years, having experiences with various image and backup software in enterprise environments and never had so much trouble with a software.

And, I deeply regret that we bought this software, as it is full of bugs and that for a very long time already. Fully working SMTP is essential to me.

AOMEI Backupper 1.6, the last version that was Freeware, even for commercial use, is the last stable software, without any known bugs to me.

Since AOMEI Backupper 2.0, the software had to be paid for, when used in commercial environments, but the bugs came in as well.

Now, AOMEI Backupper 3.1 is available and it got more and more horrible from one version to next version.

Maybe, we should switch to Acronis or EaseUs products instead.

Regards