Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper will not create working PE or Linux boot disk, Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit

I have tried everything I can think of to make a working boot disk; I save the ISO and then burn it to a CD with another program.  The PE and Linux disks both boot and take me to Backupper but I have no mouse and cannot navigate even using the arrow keys on the keyboard.  I tried making a PE disk with PE Builder 1.4 and it would not even finish loading the Windows files -- the progress bar stalled about at about 3/4 .

More details here http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/comment/4992#Comment_4992

A backup program without a working boot disk is not useful. image

Comments

• Does anoyone from Aomei read these posts??????

Why has no one from Aomei offered any assistance?????????

• May be some machine specific drivers not available in winre. What machine are you using?

Are you able to use mouse and keyboard when you boot standard winre? You should be able to boot winre by tapping F8 during post.

• You use USB keyboard and mouse? When you create WinPE boot media, you can add the drivers for the keyboard and mouse manually.

• Hello SIW2.  I am not sure what you mean by winre.  Could you please explain?

About my computer.  I built it myself using the following components:

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard -- used default settings

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T cpu -- no overclocking etc.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 operating system

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24) -- no overclocking etc

2 hard drives [partitioned] total 3 TB and booting from a 120GB SSD with no partitioning

• Hello SIW2.  I am not sure what you mean by winre.  Could you please explain?

The Windows PE disk I made with Backupper loads and boots the machine.  But when it finishes booting I cannot see the mouse cursor if it exists nor can I navigate using the keyboard.

I made one CD putting on ALL the drivers that I found in C:\windows\inf but the mouse and keyboard still did not work. 

Admin has suggested using a PS2 keyboard and mouse.  I am going to try that notwithstanding that another user, RC44, said that did not work for him.

About my computer.  I built it myself using the following components:

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard -- used default settings

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T cpu -- no overclocking etc.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 operating system

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24) -- no overclocking etc

2 hard drives [partitioned] total 3 TB and booting from a 120GB SSD with no partitioning

• Hi Homer,

I believe SIW2 is refering to WindowsPE instead of RE, and I thing Admin is asking if you use PS/2 instead of telling you to use PS/2.

Have you tried to manually add the drivers as the Admin refered to?

You can find your drivers in folders found in the following path...

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

You'll have to find the mouse and keyboard drivers specific for your setup.

• I have 2 computers with the same problem. Both I built myself and fairy simple units.

Main computer: ASROCK 970 EXTREME 3 mb, Vertex 4 128gb ssd, WD 500 gb sata 3,

AMD FX4100 chip, 19" 4/3 monitor

Backup (older) computer: Foxconn A76ML-K mb, Samsung sata 2 320bg, AMD Athion II

2.8 GHz chip, 26" widescreen tv

Both units run Win 8.1Pro, upgraded from 8 Pro. Both use PS/2 keyboard, USB mouse.

PS/2 keyboard, usb mouse: keyboard arrow keys not useful, mouse does work, but pointer

is invisible.

PS/2 keyboard and mouse: Same as above.

Tried using boot discs from Partition Wizard, UltimateBCDW/4,Macrium Reflect, Win 8.1

update disc, and they all worked fine with usb or PS/2 mouse.

Made the Linux bootable disc. It works, but first displays message "cannot load window",

then "connecting to lan". A minute or so later Backupper loads. Perhaps that is just how

it works.

Homer: Just a suggestion, but things might be less complicated if you close you first

Discussion in the other category and continue it here instead of jumping between 2 places.

• RC44:  I had kept the discussion in Storage Guides but I was not getting an response from Aomei so I decided to toss it into Support also [which is where I think I should have posted in the first place, oops] to see if it got more attention.  I was frustrated and was getting buried in CDs that I thought were only useful as coasters.  Nonetheless, your observation is completely valid and your point well taken.

Buckitall:  Thanks for pointing me to the driver location.  I did not find that location when I went hunting for .inf files to put on a version of the PE disk I made just in case it was a driver issue notwithstanding that the online information seemed to suggest that drivers would only be needed for things such as RAID.  The inf folder that I had contained a number of drivers and I dumped them all onto the second PE disk.  That was of no assistance.  The location you mention contains 593 drivers on my machine. 

Luckily, Admin's suggestion to try a PS2 mouse/keyboard worked for me!  And with the very first PE disk I made without any extra drivers.

My
    motherboard only has 1 PS2 port on it so I could only attach the mouse;
    I left the keyboard disconnected.  This was not a problem because I had
    set the POST configuration in the BIOS to only stop if there was no
    mouse.

The boot disk worked perfectly with the PS2
    mouse.  I was able to roll back my system to before Microsoft's last
    faulty update did strange things to it.  And as far as I can tell, the
    restore is perfect too.

I am again a happy person.........but one who will wait before installing Windows updates just to make sure none are faulty.

Thank you to everyone for their assistance but particularily to Admin!!

• Good to see the issue solved for you, Homer. Although in a roundabout way.

For me , the problem still exists. With Win 8.1, you can't make a recovey disc, so I think that fact may have something to do with the inability for me to generate a good disc, even though the Bootable CD Wizard says my system can do it, since you used a disc with nothing else added that worked. I will just have to use the Linux boot disc.

• RC44, when I booted from the PE disk with the PS2 mouse I immediately saw the cursor on the screen and was able to move it too.  The mouse transplant was a bit of a chore given where I have my desktop but it was much easier than the work you did with the paper and watching for slight flickers from the on-screen buttons.  I tried that too but not for long.

Since all the PE disk does is provide an environment within which to run Backupper, does anyone you know have a Win 7 machine that you could use to create a PE disk?  I suggest Win 7 solely because my disk worked.  BTW, I created an ISO and then burned it with CDBurnerXP, not that it should make any difference.

I see no reason that you could not use a Win 7 PE disk to restore or image your Win 8.1 machines: they both use the same file system etc so there should not be any issues with drive or file recognition.  Also since the Linux boot disk works on your machines, there is no hardware impediment to using such a disk.  That leaves Win 8.1 as the only culprit and making the disk on a Win 7 machine would get around that.

• Homer, that is what I will do. My sister has a Win 7 machine and the next time I go to see her I will use it to make the PE boot disc.

I referred to Win 8.1 not being able to make a windows recovery disc in last post, I meant to say Win 8.1 update from Win 8. If you buy a new computer with 8.1 installed, maybe you are ok.

I burned a Macrium Reflect boot disc on this computer, but Macrium has the PE files available to download with it. That might be why the Macrium boot disc worked fine. The Aomei disc creator may need to get the files from your system to make the disc, and if your system doesn't have the right files, you end up with what I got, a disc that does't work correctly.

Anyway, I am going to do as you suggested and make a boot disc off a Win 7 computer. Then I will know for sure if the problem is just my operating system version.

• Homer, nice to hear that the problem solved. And I will forward the problem to the development team. Maybe they will enhance the support to USB devices in the future. 

RC44, your problem is very odd. The mouse does work, but there is no cursor?! In addition, only the arrow keys on the keyboard cannot be used?  If so, actually under AOMEI Backupper WinPE, there is no need to use arrow keys.  Could you please create a WinPE iso file, then upload it to your cloud drive and share it with me? I will forward it to the development team and request them to analyze the iso file. 

• admin, here is the link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7z40thh6qvmag9/ampe.iso?dl=0

I think the problem has to do with the 8.1 upgrade from 8 using the Microsoft Store, or maybe I have a missing or corrupted file somewhere which is needed to make the disc using the AOMEI disc builder. AS I said, I will try making the disc on another computer later, when I get the chance to do so. If the development team does get the time to look at it, I would sure like to know what they find. Thank You. 

• RC44, if you have not yet had time to make a disk on your sister's machine, I could upload an iso of my Win 7 boot disk should you prefer that option.  It has the advantage of having been used on my machine so I know 100% that it works.

• Homer, I would appreciate that, please do if you find the time. Thank you.

• RC44, I created an ISO of the boot disk I used and uploaded it to mediafire.  I went there because you did not used to need any sort of account etc.  They changed that and you need to register something, i.e. whatever you want to make up for name and email, and you do not have to use their program to do uploads [it is some 60MB large], you can just select to do it via the web site which is what I did.  I made the ISO with CDBurnerXP and checked that I could look at it with WinISO so I think it is fine.

REMEMBER that at least on my computer you need to use a PS2 mouse not a USB mouse.

Let me know how it goes with this disk.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rg9kg57drpy1jkl/BackupperW7PE.iso

• Homer, I downloaded your iso and burned a disc. As I was scrolling to your post, I saw something I hadn't taken note of before, that you have a 64 bit system. Mine is 32 bit, because I use some rather old programs I would like to keep using, but figured I would still try your disk since it runs in ram and might still work.

It does work with a few differences. Your disk gives a colored background with a light design instead of a black screen as mine does. My portable disk has a usb 3 connector on it, but only will connect by a usb 2 socket with your disk. Also the drive letter for the system reserve and system drive are different for some reason. This just might be because your disk made on a 64 bit machine.

Surprise! I restarted with your disk and my usb mouse still hooked up, and it worked fine, even the pointer was there. So usb mouse with your iso won't work on your machine, but with your disk, a usb mouse works on my machine. Figure that one out! I tried again with my boot disk and got the same, previous results, of mouse works, but pointer not visible.

Thanks for the iso. At least now I know my particular system version is the problem.

• admin: Please see previous post.
  • RC44, good to hear that it worked for you albeit with odd differences from how it worked on my computer.  The strangest thing is that USB 2 will work but not USB 3 -- my motherboard has both so my disk should also.  I wonder if that relates to the 64 versus 32 bit issue. 

The drive letters changing is not unusual, I have noticed that with other bootable disks but I do not recall if I experienced that with this boot disk.  Since the drive/partition image that you take of your computer will be 32 bit because that is what you have, I do not believe that booting from a 64 bit disk should be an issue.

The USB mouse working with my disk on your machine is very baffling.....and annoying since I spent a lot of time trying to make that work on my machine!  Although I am using a Microsoft IntelliMouse, I seem to recall that it
    worked with just the generic drivers but without all the features that
    came with the specific drivers so I doubt that was my problem.

If your sister has a Win7 32 bit machine, try making a disk there to see if there are any differences when using it to boot your computer.

If Admin is still monitoring this discussion, I would love to have my disk analyzed and compared to your disk in the hopes that they might discover what the issue is with USB mice and, in particular, why my disk worked with your USB mouse but not mine. 

• RC44, I was going to try your disk on my machine to see how it would work given the odd differences in how my disk worked on your machine compared to mine.  But I am not up to wrangling with another registration process right now.  Maybe later.
  • RC44 I apparently cannot read well.  Dropbox does not require an account to download so I am dowloading your ISO right now.  I will let you know how it works.
  • RC44 and Admin:

Well I tried RC44's Win8PE ISO and the laser on my mouse lit up but there was no cursor.  I had great hopes when I saw the laser light up.  I also understand what RC44 meant by the various buttons flickering when I passed over them.  That made it sort of workable but not really.

• Homer, other than making a disk on my sister's computer, which is a store bought one that I think is also 64 bit, I am not going to spend much time pursuing this issue. It will probably get fixed sometime in the future. I will just keep an eye on this and one other topic to see if admin comes back with any further information.

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/1260/aomei-pe-boots-then-bsods/p1

If you haven't already, check out the topic link above. It has an interesting take on the problem. If the link doesn't work, the title is "AOMEI PE Boots, then BSOD's" and it is currently on page 2 in the "AOMEI Products Support" category.

• RCC44, we've gone as far as we -- I at least image -- can, so I too will wait and see.  At least I now have a way to use the Backupper images if MS fouls up another Windows Update.

I read the topic you mentioned above during my quest to solve my own problem.  Indeed I tried PE Builder as a way to solve my issue and its results were worse than the disk I made in Backupper so I just uninstalled PE Builder. 

I suspect that PE Builder and the WinPE disk creation process in Backupper are variants of the same basic programming so when one gets fixed, the other will also.

• If you are using win7, you can try this. D\l the A26.zip, unzip it to
    your drive, then run as admin on the run-me-as-admin.cmd. It will make 7
    winpe for you, including Aomei products you have installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alxvm6b9aic0ys5/A26.zip?dl=0

• I need to add my comment here too.

Backupper is not able to create an pe-iso on my  brandnew installed Windows 2008 R2 SP1 due to "missing neccessary files" ...

But i the screen before creating the iso, the message displayed "your system supports creating the bootable disc"

So there should be no need to install WAIK!

please fix this a.s.a.p. !!!

regards

Rico

• I think it should also be possible to create the PE with all currently installed drivers of the running OS, so there should be no need to add any drivers to get a running PE for the installad system.

• Backupper makes pe from winre.wim, which should already be on your
    hard drive.

( For people using oem machines, the manufacturer should already have included any specific drivers required into winre.wim )

If backupper can't access your winre.wim, then it is necessary to download WAIK.

If you use the link I provided in my previous post, you may find it does the job for you. 

If
    my program is also unable to access winre.wim, there is a workaround.
    You can put a copy of boot.wim from the  windows 7 installation media
    into the A26 folder, then run the command file.

• SIW2, the file you provided shows that 23 of 57 visus scanners at virustotal.com detected, well let's call it 'something bad'.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/b3eb27c9ed3126d0371630e4b500fe973237bef4404f9aefb93793853ecabfdb/analysis/1432817990/

Could
    you explain what could be triggering those results?  I am reluctant to
    try using this file because of those detection results.

• It is probably Ammy, which is a remote desktop program.

Try this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g310tlukg671so/A27.zip?dl=0