Home AOMEI Products Support

Building own Win-PE

Hi there,

I tried to add Backupper to my existing Win-PE WIM but I failed.

I added the contents of the WinPE64 subfolder to my Win-PE Program Files, the msahci.sys to windows\system32\drivers and the other three Sys-files to windows\system32. I also made the appropriate entries under HKLM\System\CurrentControlset\Services. I can run Backupper in my Win-PE session but when I try to start a backup I get an information code 4140 "The backup driver works improperly, you could restart the computer to solve the problem".

Does anybody know what's going wrong here?

Pit

Comments

• edited April 2014

Hi Pit,

Sorry for the late reply.
    As for adding AOMEI Backupper(AB) to your own WinPE disc, here are the steps:

1. You may first install AB to your WinPE and then open the regedit of WinPE, next go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\" and export the three registry of the drivers of Backupper like in the picture:

2. Go to the installation directory of AB and copy the three drivers "ambakdrv.sys" "ammntdrv.sys" "amwrtdrv.sys" for the next use.

3. You need to reconfigure your WinPE in order to import the three registry to the same directory as above and copy the installation directory of AB to a proper directory of your Winpe.

4. Save the three driver files to "x:\Windows\system32\" of WinPE, if it is a 64-bit WinPE put them to the
    right place of your 64-bit directory.

Have a good day!

Best Regards,

Kim

• Hi,

Following these set of instructions does not work on a clean WinPE extracted from the Windows 8.1U1 ADK released by Microsoft. Is there another set of instructions to get Aomei Backupper v2.8 functioning on WinPE 8.1 without using the Aomei PE Builder as I would like to add it to my own custom WinPE image.

• I am afraid it's not possible to add Backupper to your own WinPE image. You can wait for the PE version of Backupper.

• Thanks for the prompt response.

Do you know the ETA on the PE version of Backupper?

• So you guys are talking about this issue like it never came up before... (Weird..)

Of course it's possible to add Backupper to PE, just look at TheOven.org, there are several projects that use it. I will have to look at my notes and will get back to you as soon as I can, I successfully added it to my own PE, there was just some trouble with the registration stuff (yes, that's weird, because it's supposed to be a free version). Something with AmCore.dll etc. Just give me a few days, I'd love to get back to the issues on this...

• awesome. looking forward to it.