Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI PE Boots, then BSOD's

The PE (using Win 7 Pro 64) boots through Loading Windows and the Windos flag, and then BSOD's with this message:

C0000145 {Application Error}

The Application was unable to start correctly. (0xc000000d) Click OK to close the application.

Any suggestions? (I tried the ones in the FAQ, but no joy).

Comments

• I have the same problem. even if i add drivers. i wonder if the 64 bit is a problem. 

• Good point. Thinking my system was too complex and fussy, I just tried creating PE from a perfectly vanilla Dell system with Win 7 Pro 64. Same result, same error message.

• I too have the same problem.

I created on Win 7 64bit

It gets though the wavy flags, then blue screens like the OP (jluther) described

I get the same error if I try booting it into a 32bit XP Pro PC

• edited May 2015

What do you all reckon about trying version 1.3

Here is their page, where you can download ver 1.3 -

http://www.aomeitech.com/pebuilder/changelog.html

I did, and I burned it, and got the same error

Ver 1.3 is the same as 1.4 except 1.4 was enhanced to be creatable in win 8

I only have XP Pro 32bit ( which I believe I cannot use to create the ISO ? ? ? )

And W7 64bit

Could someone download 1.3, and create the Bootable PE in W7 32bit

And see if we get the same error

Rob

PS That download page has 1.2 which one of us may get desperate enough to try ?

(but I would prefer the current programs in it, which I believe 1.3 has

• No luck when I tried to download 1.3

Anyone have a link to 1.3

Rob

PS I have written to [email protected]

I have included a link to this forum thread

• Edit in this page seems weird. (I cannot see what I am editing)

I am trying to delete the 'no luck downloading 1.3'

as I did download 1.3 from Aomei site

• i have tried   1.4   1.3  1.2  1.0

They all give the same error

• I am also having the same problem . The solution for the moment was the Aomei add a download link in ISO instead.

• vagn_32,

Could you elaborate on your 'solution for the moment' as I don't understand what I should do.

Did you get a working bootable PE disk ?

Thanks,

Rob

• I create on another machine and it works. The AOMEI could attach to download a version already made to those moments.

• RobDownUnder,

I created the Aomei PE Builder on another computer.

I even think it would not work, but it worked.

• Otherwise I just perform was to bring a backup of another machine and restore on my own.

Detail as I have the license worked normally

• vagn_32

What OS and was it 32 bit<==

What extra programs did you include or exclude

• Converber, Portable Eraser Portable TrueCrypt and 7.1 in ISO.

In my device separately use AxCrypt, EasyBCD and USB Safely Remove

• To all readers that are having the problem, the solution is to install the PE builder into Win 7 32bit, and build the PE ISO in that 32 bit PC

Rob

vagn_32,

Please take note, how to give informed posts. In all of your posts, you have ommitted that vital information (viz you used a 32bit version of windows when you had the success)

• Yes, 32 Bits

• For the record, I tried PE Builder with Windows 8.1 64 bit. It failed, with the message "The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical driver is missing or contains errors." The file stornvme.sys was identified, showing error message 0xc000000f.

So now all I have to do is find a 32 bit Win 7 someplace. That's a lot harder than it sounds nowadays. Couldn't you nice folks at AOMEI upgrade PE Builder just a little tiny bit to accomodate 64 bit operation?

• I'd be surprised if this had anything to do specifically with 32bit vs 64bit.

I began testing AOMEI products back in the beginning of the year on my Win7 Enterprise 64bit laptop (Lenovo T420), then stopped for awhile. Back in February of this year, I was able to create a bootable USB flash drive with the 1.4 PEBuilder and it worked fine (booting the same system I created the bootable USB on, as well as another HP laptop)...

I was even mounting the resulting WIM file with the ImageX utility from the WAIK tools, and adding system files that other apps I wanted to use in the PE environment had dependencies on, but weren't included by PEBuilder. Even with me messing about QUITE a bit with system files, I never encountered any boot failures at all.

Since that time, in the beginning of May I reverted to a drive backup image taken in January (with another tool, not Backupper). This was the exact same image backup I had been using when last testing AOMEI in February. I naturally installed all of the latest Microsoft updates as of May's patch tuesday. Since then, re-installing PEBuilder 1.4 and resuming my testing of AOMEI results in the exact same BSOD and Stop error as the OP (c0000145 {Application Error}).

So, I suspect an issue with a patch from Microsoft, since NOTHING else has changed on my laptop since the time I had this working fine. But I have no idea about the PE build process... what interaction it has with the WAIK, and what interaction it has with the running Win7 (64bit) system you're running the builder on. Would be nice if AOMEI could trace this down though... I no longer have my old image from January, and I have to imagine that ANYONE should be able to reproduce this issue on Win7 64bit with latest May MS updates.

• edited May 2015

Sure enough, though this is as impractical a 'workaround' as running the builder on 32bit Windows 7 like other posters above...

After removing the following hotfixes (at least, this is the diff after comparing the output from the 'get-hotfix' powershell cmdlet pre and post uninstalling all the updates between late december the end of april, I was wrong about it being may):

JEFFREYS01-PC Update           KB2990214     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3000483     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3004361     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3004375     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Hotfix           KB3006137     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3019215     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Update           KB3020338     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3020388     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3021674     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Update           KB3021917     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3022777     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3030377     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3031432     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3032323     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3032359     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3033889     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3033929     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3034344     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3035126     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3035131     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3035132     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3036493     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3037574     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3038314     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3039066     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3042553     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3045685     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3045999     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3046049     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3046269     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3046306     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM
    JEFFREYS01-PC Security Update  KB3046482     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  4/21/2015 12:00:00 AM

• woops

• I don't know which one it was - and can't spend the time to figure it out. That's AOMEI's job :-). But after removing at least those updates above, a newly created bootable USB flash drive worked fine without error on the same THREE flash drives that filed prio to removing those updates...

But again, that's a workaround and not a solution. Hopefully, AOMEI can fix the patch compatability problem for paying customers and people who are testing the free versions benefit from being able to use the app on a fully updated computer.

• Steje,

Thanks for the info. I think that I have a Win7 64 image backup from before April, so if I can find the time, I can make the attempt later this week to run an earlier version of the OS, which might work with PE Builder. More important, the listing of potentially problematic updates might give the folks at AOMEI some idea about what needs to be fixed in PE Bulder.

• Steje's right; one of the Win 7 64 patches is incompatible with AOMEI PE Builder. I used an image from 1/14/14, and PE Builder ran just fine. If I can find a little time, I'll try to narrow it down, but looking at the dates on my backups, I'm probably not going to better than he did in finding the offending patch.

• To be fair - it's probably not simply a 'PE Builder' issue, Microsoft breaks stuff all the time, and third party software vendors have the unenvious burden of having to scramble to accomodate things. I guess there's some updated libraries put down with some of these December-May timeframe fixes that causes some dependency issue when booting in PE.

I wish I knew more about the build process PE Builder uses... how is it determing module dependencies, is it dynamic or is it a static list of files that are being grabbed. If it's a static list, then anytime Microsoft releases an update that changes a module dependency then there's a chance things just won't work as expected or just blow up like we've been seeing.

• True, it's not PE Builder's fault. Still, I'd love to see a posting here
    from from AOMEI saying something like, "Yeah, we know the problem; we
    should have a patch for it soon."

• edited May 2015

Hello!

I have an e-mail exchanged with the support. They apologize and say that soon the bug will be fixed. 

• edited May 2015

Hello!

I have an e-mail exchanged with the support. They apologize and say that soon the bug will be fixed.

• I am going to be pathologically honest here... unlike many ppl I've known - I actually pay for software. BUT - it does takes me a while to make my decision. Like many IT professionals, I find myself in the often-not-fun role of tech support for friends and family. And though I am more than capable of desktop systems support - I'm a datacenter guy by trade, which is to say that the day to day woes of desktop users aren't what I fill my days and nights with as a profession. 

So - I generally use my own system(s) as a guinea pig for new products for some time before I ever consider using new (unproven) applications for helping others (family, friends, friends with business, etc). And because this isn't my primary role in IT, it often takes me upwards of a year to make a major shift in this space. It took me a LOOOOONG time of playing around with various offline recovery approaches before I settled in on UBCD4Win to host my trusty old Ghost32, which got me by for YEARS, and is simply no longer viable due to the hardware world moving on (to among other things, UEFI based systems and newer Windows versions).

So - I'm going to continue to base most of my next few months of comments and requests here on the freeware products that are available. Hopefully AOMEI will release a fix for the current MS hotfix compatability along with an updated PE Builder that includes the latest Backupper (2.8). I've been looking for a single bootable recovery solution from which to run a variety of tools (backup, partition, defraggers, anti-virus stuff, etc). If I find that:

a.) the AOMEI recovery environment is worthy (their own products work reliably, and I can run my other tools reliably, etc), and

b.) I see signs of good Technical Support

...then I will happily consider paying for AB Technician for PCs and possibly Partition Assistant (not sure if I really need support for 'Server' OS').

And maybe the official support channel is more responsive to paying customers... but so far, yeah - I'd have hoped for an acknowledgment from an AOMEI moderator or admin to a ~3 week thread that clearly shows that some people (maybe everyone) with latest MS hotfixes can't get the recovery images to work at all - never mind posts from other ppl having different problems (windows load stuck, no mouse/cursor, weird errors about not enough space even though restoring back to the original disk and partition).

Is anyone in this thread a paying customer? The infrequent generic support responses just in the forum are a big red flag for me to NOT buy (even if some of these compatability problems are fixed soon). Hopefully paying customers are getting MUCH better support responses than seems to happen on the forum?

• Minor update: since recovering my latest image and updating once again to all of the latest MS hotfixes as of May 17, the problem remains. So if it was Microsoft that broke something - they haven't fixed it in the latest round of updates from May 2015...

While I wouldn't really suggest people to UNINSTALL the MS Hotfixes listed above just to be able to create a working bootable image - it can indeed be done. And without knowing how long AOMEI will take to investigatre and hopefully fix this problem - if anyone wants a writeup of the procedures you can use to update a working image (with your own tools, etc) after RE-INSTALLING the latest MS updates - let me know and I will post a thread with details on how to make things work...

• Steje,

That would really be a public service. You really should do it.