Home AOMEI Products Support

Win ERROR message with AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition 2.5

edited April 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Just yesterday installed AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition 2.5 in Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, but the Event Viewer in Win 7 shows an error at about the time of the install and the first time I turned it on and looked at it.

"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper\MFC80U.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

►  So, what's the problem, and what should I do?  ◄

Please don't suggest I use "sxstrace.exe" - I have no idea what that is.  I'm only a lawyer, not a tech person.  Or I suppose I could but would have no idea what to do with it.

Now, there are a few details to consider.  First, I downloaded this AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition 2.5 yesterday from Giveaway of the Day and registered with the serial number given in its readme.txt file.  It seemed to install and register OK.

Second, on my Win 7 PC, the following are always running:  Avast Home Free AV,  Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, and CryptoPrevent (from Foolish IT).  CryptoPrevent is passive - it imposes many particular user settings that try to prevent any ransomware from running.  I suppose it's possible for one of these to cause the above problem with MFC80U.DLL.  But that's NOT likely, as CryptoPrevent mostly tries to prevent .exe files from running in the Applications folders (where ransomware apparently likes to hang out).  (Please check out CryptoPrevent yourself for a better explanation than I can give.)

My Event Viewer also has this information in "Details":

-    System    

-    Provider    

[
Name]    SideBySide    

-    EventID    33    

[
Qualifiers]    49409    

Level    2    

Task    0    

Keywords    0x80000000000000    

-    TimeCreated    

[
SystemTime]    2015-04-28T16:16:15.000000000Z    

EventRecordID    8979    

Channel    Application    

Computer    [My computer name]   

Security    

-    EventData    

Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0"  C:\Program Files
(x86)\AOMEI Backupper\MFC80U.DLL    

So, what should I do?  Thanks.

Comments

• After some more research, it might be that the Aomei programs are
    looking for a YEAR or a VERSION of MS Visual C++ Redistributable that I
    don't have on my PC.

Maybe they are looking for 2005 C++ Redistributable version 8.0.50608.

I don't think I have any version of 2005 C++ Redistributable (yet), and maybe the only version available today is 8.0.5727 ??

How should I proceed?

• Aomei - bump.  No comment?