Home AOMEI Products Support

Restored to wrong drive

I upgraded to the latest version a few days ago and did a system restore, which I left running while I did other things. When I returned, my original system was still intact but with various Aomei files lying around. Log files in the root of C: and 2 files, both bigger than 200mb, which i think are Aomei Backupper images created before rebooting. I couldn't figure out what had happened, so I cleaned up the drive and didn't bother trying to restore again as I had other things to do.

Today I found that the system had actually been restored to another physical 1TB drive that was nearly full, completely wiping it out. I have looked into various ways ways of recovering the data/partition, but so far it seems to be a failure.

Is there any way I can recover the original data? I realise that  around 24GB of it has been written over by the system restore I did, but is it possible to recover any of the rest? As luck has it, the drive is mostly a backup drive, so I can create new backups, but there was also some stuff stored there that wasn't backed up anywhere else.

Martin.

Comments

• Martin,

You can try data recovery software, but if you've overwritten data, a professional recovery service is probably about your only hope.  Try this.  That or look for a recovery service.

• I have just done another restore, being extremely careful about where I restored to, and once again it restored to the wrong partition. There's obviously problems with this latest version. Is there a download for earlier versions anywhere?

• Hi Martin,

Could you please send us the log files of Backupper? If the program restores to wrong location, it must be a very serious problem. So please send us the log files, so we can analyze it. Sorry for any inconvenience has brought you.  

And you can download the earlier version 2.2 from HERE.

• Sorry, the log files are gone as I managed to do a restore with a boot CD. I have a couple of spare HDDs so I will see if I can replicate the problem.

Thank you for the link to the earlier version.
  • The link you gave me is for the Pro version, I only had the free version so I can't use it.
  • I take it an earlier free version isn't available? I don't mind trying to replicate the problem, but I am not going to try until I can be confident of a restore afterwards.

• You can download it at this link

• Thank you, much appreciated.

• Well, I have done quite a lot of testing but I haven't been able to replicate the problem. I suspected that it had something to do with my boot partition not being on HDD0, but I didn't manage to prove it, except that since I moved my boot partition to HDD0, it hasn't happened again. Unfortunately, because I already lost a lot of data, I daren't use the exact same setup with all 5 HDDs installed when trying to replicate the problem.

• I have had exactly the same problem with 2.5. Version 2.2 worked perfectly. Please let me know where i can send links because flash doesn't work in portable firefox. I cannot access this comment secton using chrome or ie11.

Regards

• I mean log files not links