Home AOMEI Products Support

backup scheme - strange implementation

edited November 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello AOMEI Support,

I'm a little bit confused about the implementation of the backup scheme (disk space management) options. The first one suggests that it will keep a backup history of the defined period. E.g. when I set it to 2 weeks I expect that AOMEI Backupper continuously keeps the last 2 weeks of backups. In fact, after the defined period the tools performs a full backup and deletes all backups before, regardeless of the type of backup (inc/diff) - WTF?

For the next option I cite the description: "The previous n versions of obsolete backup image file will be aoutamtically deleted only after the next backup finishes." Although I've performed a number of tests I still don't understand what this is useful for. ^^ 

The last option simply keeps the first backup - if you want.... but why would you want this? ^^

Dear AOMEI

please explain in detail how the above options should work. Maybe visual. 

Regards

Comments

• This excerpt from the user manual explains these options.  Please let us know if you'd like further clarification.

imageUserManual.pdf

• As I mentioned option 1 definitely didn't work as described. Option 2... well how is an obsolete backup defined in AOMEI Backupper?

• Any further statement from you to this "killer" lack? It was tested with 2.0.2 but the changelogs do not mention any fixes on more current versions. 

• Tobias,

Option 1 appears to have worked exactly as described in the manual, I think the problem is down to interpretation of what "

automatically delete the old backups saved beyond a stated number of days, weeks, 

months or years" means.  What AOMIE are saying is that once the trigger point has been reached, all the previous images will be deleted, and the cycle starts again.

You may find that option 2 is the one that you really want.

Maybe in a future edition AOMEI might offer a pre built in algorithm such as Tower of Hanoi or similar which offers rolling fulls, incrementals and differentials and would do what you are needing.

• Thanks for clarification that option 1 works as AOMEI intended. I'll guess I have to manage the backups through custom scripts.

Regards

Tobias