Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI Backupper Standard (freeware) is not free anymore?

edited November 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello AOMEI Support,

after few weeks this strange message popped to me today.

Standard version is not free anymore?

Comments

• I think you had a 30 day trial, instead of downloading the free-ware. Go here and download the freeware http://www.backup-utility.com/download.html

• Same problem here.

• This looks a bit like the Windows PE problem I mentioned in a different thread. I wish Aomei would remove all forms of "protection" (wanted or unwanted) from the free version, so problems like these are gone. In PE, there's a "ProgramData" setting in the registry, that seems to be linked to the "Expiration" message. Can we please go back to how it was in version 1.6 (for example)? There's also a file called "amcore.dll" that contains some data about registration. It's all a bit confusing to me, and seems to be unnecessarily complicated for a free version.

• Hello! AOMEI Backupper 2.0.2 version has such bug, and we are so sorry for your inconvenience. but, the new version of AB 2.1.0 has been released, and you can download it to operate. Thank you for your supporting.

• It would be great if the problem was solved (also in PE!!). I'll be back from work in a couple of hours, can't wait to test it...

Thanks for looking into this problem!

• I also didn't find v 2.1. The sooner the better on this, as I deploy BU on my laptops. There are going to be a lot of machines that suffer from nag screens, and it's going to reflect back on me. I already have many machine outfitted that have to be redone, and some already sent out.

• edited November 2014

I just downloaded again and checked the installer files with innounp.exe. Looks like the files are 2.1 now!

But I must admit I'm very disappointed that the PE problem has not been resolved at all. When I copy the PE files to a USB and do the usual rename of loaddrv.exe, vsscom.exe and vss.dll, then start backupper.exe, it still tells me the version has expired.

In my first question I asked why the Free version does these checks at all, so I'll ask again: Why are these expiration checks there, when this version is supposed to be free?

• So after more testing I added amcore.dll from a normal setup to my PE files. This time it works, but only if it's on a writeable medium (hd, usb). When the files are on CD or in a (mounted) iso, the amcore.dll can't be written to and the expiration screen is back.

Once again: can this check please be removed for the free version, sometime in the future? Please remove the amcore.dll dependency, so we can run Aomei Backupper Free completely free, from read-only devices (like it was with version 1.6!)

• Atari800xl,

We apologize for the issue you're having.  Given that you found a work around, I'd suggest creating an ISO that you can then edit with an ISO editor such as UltraISO, PowerISO, etc. to replace the file you need.  Then you can burn the ISO to CD or DVD and continue with your work.  We'll be sure to report this issue to the development team.

• Thank you very much for your reply.

• I have the paid for version of Backer Upper Pro, and for some reason build 2.1 is allowing the serial number to be entered and registered but is not retaining the information.

The 'purchase' banner still shows, and after closing the program and reopening it, I have to enter the serial number again.

I'm using a Win 7 Ult 64 bit OS.

I'll see what happens on my Windows 8.1 machine.