Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper 2.0.3 Free in (personal) PE

Dear Aomei Backupper developers,

Let me start by thanking you for your great product. I really appreciate that you have a free version!

I've used previous versions (eg. 1.6) in my own personal PE version (Win8PESE), this has always worked perfectly! I just extracted the program files from the installer exe (using Innounp or similar) and everything worked fine.

From version 2.0 onward though, when I use the program in this manner and start backupper.exe (*Free* version!), the program seems to think it is the "Standard" version, and warns me that the version has expired.

Is there some ini/ registry or other setting I can change, so that Aomei Backupper will once again be "portable" in PE? This would be very much appreciated!

Thanks again.

Comments

• Hi,

It is working ok for me. Have you raised this at the oven?

• Thanks for your reply, SIW2. Things at TheOven are kind of quiet at the moment, so I don't think there will be a lot of discussion about this topic.

So you are saying that you *are* using the program files (extracted from the installer or otherwise?) in a "regular" PE? Do you use the file "AmCore.dll" in there as well? This file seems to be present only after you entered a serial number? I hope you can explain a bit more about this file.

There's also "version.ini", changing the "versionCode"  value in there, seems to switch between Standard, Pro, etc. But it would be great if I could just enter a serial number in there as well, I'm just looking to prevent the "Enter your serial number" screen...

Thanks again, I hope we can get to the bottom of this! That would really make me love Aomei Backupper even more!

• I am still doing more tests at the moment. Some more finding:

- When I add amcore.dll to the program folder, the program doesn't seem to ask for the serial. This is only the case when I start it from a "writable place" however! (Like from USB or from ramdisk x:)

- When I add amcore.dll to the program folder, and place everything in an .iso file (which I mount in PE), the folder is "read-only" (like it would be on a CD or DVD I guess), and Aomei once again asks for the serial, even though Amcore.dll is present. Is this because the folder is readonly now?

My question remains: how can I prevent Aomei (free version) to ask for a serial number in PE?

Thanks again!!

• OK, another finding: After reading about Aeolis' plugin for Win8PESE, I learned that setting the "ProgramData" key in HKLM\Software\[Wow6432Node]\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion solves the problem.

Still, I have *no* idea what this does or why, so any help from the official developers would be great...

("ProgramData" is 82 byte binary value, no clue about what it might contain).

So even if nobody else knows what this is all about, my problem seems to be solved for now, but as I said: any official word on this is welcome!!!!

• I would still like to make a formal request for a more "portable" use of Aomei Backupper (like it was in versions before 2.0). I'm still having problems with the "ProgramData" setting, it seems every now and then the program (free version) is still asking for a license key, or the driver is not working correctly. Can't these restrictions be removed from the free version? As I said, like it was in pre-2.0 versions?

Thanks!!!

• I have version 2.01. The screen tells me I have 1.6 and offers an update. If I update it wants to remove my previous version. What will happen to my settings, etc. if I do this? I assume I will have to start again from scratch

• You're in the wrong thread, but thanks for bumping it.

And now I'm bumping it again...

• Hi,

arari800xl,ProgramData contains some verification information, and I have reported your problem to our development team, we will improve it.

lesindk, sorry, about the prompted update information, this is a known problem, we will fix it in future versions, and if you want to upgrade to the latest version, it will not affect your backup tasks, they are compatible with the new version.