Home AOMEI Products Support

Clone not copying the boot loader

edited September 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi all,

We have a number of CNC machines here and we keep a spare PC for each one to make sure we can get up and running quickly should we have a PCfailure.

To make sure the machine settings are up to date, every month we make a clone of the drive, put this in the spare PC and then put the spare PC in the machine.  We then have the working original on the shelf if needed. (this then becomes the spare)

We have been using clonezilla to make the clones but this is quite complicated and we have had a few failures recently.

Aomei looks very simple to use but we cannot get the cloned drive to boot without using the win7 CD to make a repair to the missing or corrupt bootloader.  (this is the message windows is reporting when trying to power up the PC)

Am I doing something wrong that prevents Aomei from copying the bootloader?

To do the clone I am booting from a bootable Linux CD made from the utilties option in backupper standard (V2.0.2) on a PC that we only use for cloning.  We have had problems trying to clone Win7 & Win XP systems.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Dave

Comments

• Dave,

I would recommend trying with the Windows bootable disc as well just to eliminate the underlying OS as the issue.  Can you describe the system setup?  Are you using UEFI, standard BIOS boot, any kind of security/encryption, etc?

• Thank you for the reply,

We are using a simple bios boot and no special security or encryption.

I have just tried the Windows PE boot CD but this failed to start so I’m thinking the problem is with old hardware; this is an IMBA-8650 industrial main board with Pentium 4 & 512 MB of ram.    We use this because it has SATA & IDE drive connections.

I have had some success by doing a system restore to a new disk but have now run into the drive size bug mentioned in another post.  Do you know how long it will take to release the new version?

I could not find the option to “edit size of partition” while doing a system restore that is mentioned in the online help.  Can you help me find this?

Thank you

Dave

• I find that sometimes the "system restore" has difficulty finding the boot loader...If you click on "System Restore" and follow up with "No" instead of "Yes" to restoring the system you can just restore the main partition...normally "C:" drive. You can also restore the boot partition the same way if needed...one at a time.

• Hi, 

I'm still having problems restoring my drive.  Do you know when the new version will be released?

Many thanks

Beenie

• "we cannot get the cloned drive to boot without using the win7 CD to make a repair to the missing or corrupt bootloader.  (this is the message windows is reporting when trying to power up the PC", are the source disk and destination disk the same format, such as all MBR formatted?image