Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot boot from external hard disc after Cloning C drive

I have an external  hard drive (drive P=1.5TB)  + two internal hard drives (drive C=2TB and drive D=1TB). All drives are 75% free.

I have upgraded my D drive from Vista to WIN 7 and cleaned up the D drive. WIN7 is running 100% OK on my D drive The speed difference is amazing.

What I am trying to do

-----------------------------

Eventually, I want to make my internal C drive, the main bootable drive with WIN7 on, instead of D. But for the moment, just boot up from P drive.

As a first step, and as a test, I cloned my D drive onto my external P drive with Aomei Backupper standard. But Win7 will not boot from the external P drive. I tried this after cloning with Aomei. I got a slightly more encouraging result from Aomei (v EaseUs) as my PC tries to start. I get an optimistic "Windows is loading files" message imageafter the BIOS Flash Screen but then disappointment follows imageas the process jumps back to the BIOS screen going into a loop of BIOS screen -> Windows is Loading files -> BIOS screen->Windows is Loading files. So my QUESTION ONE IS: Can I / how can I use Aomei so that my PC is bootable from the clone on my external P drive, without having to use a boot media first.

If / when I can get that to work, I can then move onto phase 2, which is to clone from D to C -> then make C my start up drive. I guess I will need to change the order of HDD priority, via BIOS but QUESTION TWO please - will I need to switch the HDD jumpers to define master / slave - or is that a thing of the past (XP)?.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Do C drive and D drive share the same format, all MBR formatted or all GPT formatted. Same format is required in cloning.

• Admin - At present, I want to boot from my new external "P" hard drive (cloned from the 100% working WIN7 internal hard drive). but it wont boot.

So, disconnecting all other drives, I have to boot from a CD (a start-up-disc downloaded from Amoei website) which  prompts me to Restore. I am obviously misunderstanding because I dont want to "restore" anything, I think I just want my P drive - to which I have Cloned - to boot. May I ask:

(1)

I thought "Cloning" meant  EVERYTHING from my source drive would be copied onto the target / destination drive so it should boot up without the need for a recsue CD, resource CD etc.  Am I wrong ?

(2)

I changed the boot-order-priority in BIOS. So do I also I need to change the jumpers - to define slave / master please - with WIN7 ?

(3)

I am happy to pay for the full version of Backupper but I want to make sure it works first - that is, lets me boot from a cloaned disc. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you

headcahe5678

• Please send us a screenshot of the format of the disks.For example the one in the attachment.We need to know whether it is MBR or GPT.

imagedisk_format.jpg

Please make sure all disks are listed in the screenshot.

As for your question (1), no need for a recsue CD.