Home Storage Guides, Tricks and Tips

How to Delete Old Backup files?

This article applies to:

AOMEI Backupper v1.6

Introduction:

When you backup your data regularly, the number of image files will grow over time and finally fill up your destination drive. In this case, you may have to delete old backup files to free up space for new backup.

Solution:

There may have different backup configurations. However, for your reference, here we introduce how to deal with two common backup configurations:

1. In the "Home" screen, select the backup task and click "Advanced"-"Locate Image", immediately, you will be directed to the directory where you save the image.

2.      For Full Backup + Incrementalbackup, since every incremental backup is based on the last backup, so if youdelete any previous image file will make the entire subsequent image filesinvalid. Therefore, you must start from the last one and backwards deleteincremental backups. After that, you may start new incremental backup now.

3.      For Full Backup + DifferentialBackup, every differential backup is based on the last full backup, so you candelete any differential backups to free up space and then start a new one.

Moreinformation:

You can click here to learn more about what are Incremental Backup and Differential Backup. Ifthere are any further questions, you may email us at [email protected]

Comments

• It appears that when I try to delete a Backup from Home/specific backup file/Advanced/Delete Backup, that does not delete the underlying files (I'm version 1.6 or 2.0.1, not clear). Is that correct?  I did not think to go to "Locate Image" since I wanted to delete all the backup. 

Since I backup from two PCs into the same folder on an external, it appears that I have to go to the other PC to figure out which files are needed for that backup and delete all the other files.  Is there a better way???

Thanks!