Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper overwrites scheduled task settings

edited August 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello,

first, this is great piece of SW.

But I have problem with scheduled tasks the Backupper creates.

I have Win 8.1 Pro and everytime Backupper starts, it overwrites created task.

I mean that if I eg. modified the task (run in configuration for Win 8.1, run whether user is logged on or not, start the task only if the computer is on AC power, wake the computer to run the task etc.), backupper overwrites modified settings things back to default states.

My goal is set the scheduled task to run independently on my login and whether my laptop is  (eg. at 5am every day) but for now I have to set this every day because the overwriting.

It is bug or feature?

Comments

• Hi Jarred

Sorry for the inconvenience, but backupper is now unable to run a schedule under the condition of which the system is logged off. You may try to create a new task and reset the schedule.If it reaches the time of the task but your computer isn't running,the program will automatically run the missed tasks at the next boot.

Regards

Kam

AOMEI support team

• Hi Kam,

thank you for your reply.

I am not sure about that. Because if I set necessary setting in scheduled tasks, it will run even if my laptop will be off. I tried it many times. But if the task finishes, it overwrites the setting of the scheduled task back to default state (so it resets the necessary settings and I have to set all those things again for the next day).

• Hi Jarred 

Would you tell me what schedule you have set? it would be better if you provide some screenshots for us.

Ragards.

• Hi Kam,

please see the screens below (I'm sorry it isn't in english, but when you compare it with your system, it should correspond).

The process is:

Scheduled task should run at 5 a.m.

I switched my laptop to sleep mode at 3 a.m.

If I came back at 9 a.m., scheduled task is done, backup is created, but the setting of my scheduled task is reset back to default state.

On the left side is settings, which I modified manually, before scheduled task is run.

On the right side is settings after the task is done. The settings is changed and I don't understand why.

• edited August 2014

Hello @Jarred

Sorry for the late reply. As shown in your screenshot, we saw you have manually added tasks to window scheduler,but backupper does not support the actions, since the task created by backupper will be on conflict with the tasks you created. Your aim to automatically run the tasks after system startup is not supported yet. 

Regards 

Kam

AOMEI support team

• Hello Kam,

it is not true - I didn't create manually anything. All tasks for AOMEI Backupper have been created by Backupper itself.

I just modified the created task which Backupper created.

• I can't help but wonder the resounding silence from AOMEI support team since Jarred's last reply four months ago...

• edited January 2015

It does overwrite 'run if event missed' in Windows Task Scheduler. It's still a major problem, I'm afraid. As per the original post and screenshots.

ISSUE 1: If the schedule is set using Backuppers own scheduler (have to be logged in as admin to do load the program and to do this), then the schedule will start BUT won't load nor run unless Admin is logged in (Admin password is typed into UAC box). Then the program will run and the full program is visible along with progress and it is minimised into the task bar. This is useless for unattended usage and renders a schedule virtually pointless

i.e it won't run if an ordinary user is logged in. 

ISSUE 2: If the schedule is set using Windows Task Scheduler, Aomei Backupper writes the task as an XP/Server 2003 task.

As others have said if one modifies the created task (not creates) by manually setting it as a Windows 7 task, therefore enabling not only 'Run if user not logged in' BUT 'Run if event missed' and all the other options, Backupper will overwrites all those settings and sets it back to the default XP/Server 2003 settings again, once the schedule has run.

i.e one loses 'run if event missed'/'only if network available' etc. All the additional options that running it as Windows 7 permits..

Only by manually resetting it back to 'Windows 7' can one reset them. Again, this is severely limiting.

Equally, when run as a schedule the program/progress tab doesn't show up, so the user has no idea how it's going. One can live with that I suppose (if email can be got to work). Otherwise miss the event time, or you're not logged in as 'Admin' and it won't run at all.

The download is labeled as 'Windows 7' version but doen't run as such. We'll pass over 64bit or otherwise.

I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program as 'Windows 7' using 'compatibility settings'. No joy.

Is there anyway to 'force' the program to stay as 'Windows 7' in the 'Configure for' drop down box of Windows Task Scheduler, or install the program as such in the first place?

• I have see same major problem as it was described by jarred. Why does aomei reset changed task settings, what is the reason behind this? I really can't understand this because after changing the aomei task the task runs without any problem,, but only once since it is changed while the run by aomei back to thir defaults.

So it would be nice if anybody from aomei could response to this thread with a suitable answer.

• This is a problem for me as well.  It won't run unless the Task Scheduler says to wake up and run on my desktop at 1AM but the program unchecks that option every time it runs.  Has anyone tried manually creating a task to run Backupper with a different name that won't get reset? I'm skeptical this would work (that Backupper would know what to do)...

• You can manually create a new scheduled task
    with a different name, the same run executable and parameter, but with different
    Username and Password. In this way you can run schedule backup when logged off.