Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore Issue

Hi,

I created a "System Backup" image of the orginal Windows 8 x64 and saved on the 2nd partition.

Verified the image and even restored just to make sure it worked.

Now I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 and again created and verified an image on the 2nd partition.

I cannot go back and restore to the orginal Windows 8. Even though when going through the process it starts as "System Restore". The 1st image created no longer gives me the correct "Source -> Destination" Operation Summary, it now shows as a "Partition Restore" instead.

Comments

• Hello,

As for your query, from the screenshot, I didn't find any problem. In operation summary page it is all right. 

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• The "operational summary" is only available when restoring W8.1.

When I try to restore Windows 8 I do not get "operation summary", I am presented with "Partition Restore".,..This is where I have an issue...I cannot go any further because I am doing a "system restore" and am trying to restore two partitions..."System" and "OS"

• Hi Kim,

Eventually I had to re-install Windows 8 and create another image...this now allows me to "System Restore" both images W8 and W8.1

This is not the first time I've gone through this...perhaps some underlying issue?

• edited June 2014

Thank you very much for the information. We didn't get such a feedback before. Would you please specify out the steps how you encounter this problem?

• I'll try image

Orginal system image shiped with laptop is Windows 8 x64.

I partition the HDD with a 2nd partition called "DATA"

I now reboot into backupper and create a "System Image" and save that image to a folder called "Images"-> "W8x64" on the 2nd partition. I then "Check Image". I verified by testing the steps to restore that it shows as "system restore" and goes through the proper steps.

Reboot the system and do an upgrade to Windows 8.1 x64 "free" image

after several reboots and updates, I will then again go through the process of

reboot to Backupper and create an image to the 2nd partition in the same location "Images" but a second folder "W8.1x64". Again "Check Image" gives no errors. Also verified by going through the "system restore" procedure...no problems, as shown in picture 2 of previous post.

Now this is where the problems starts, 

When I try to "restore image" I will select the orginal 1st image..."W8x64". The program detects "this is a system image, would you like to do a system restore?"...I select yes, but it then goes into select which partition you would like to restore?...as shown as picture 3 from the earlier post. I cannot go any further because the image is larger than the partition selected.

I had to use the built in tools provided by the manufacture to restore the orginal W8x64, and recreated the image again (very long process)

• edited June 2014

Hi buckital,

Thank you so much for your explanation. I disscussed your problem with our development staff, we suppose that the position of your original system has been changed after you upgrading to Win8.1, so that you will get the error "the image is larger than the partition selected", in this situation, you can extend the destination a little larger and then retry the restoration. Or you could restore to another disk. Or after you restore the partitions individually, you can rebuild MBR and edit BCD file, after that, it can be boot up.

If you have any further questions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• Thanks for following up...I don't think that when I select the system image to restore it should go to what picture 3 from earlier post..."Partition Restore" the program should go to what picture 2 shows "Operation Summary". I've only had to deal with this on a couple of systems. All of the resolutions you've given me will probable take just as much time as I do now with Windows 8 restore feature from the manufacturer.

Thanks for your time and I really enjoy your software!