Home AOMEI Products Support

Convert MBR to GPT

Hi there,

I have just installed AOMEI on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.  There is a volume on there which I want to convert from MBR to GPT.  It says in the help to right-click the disk and select 'Convert to MBR/GPT disk'.  But this option does not come up in the right-click menu, any ideas?

Comments

• edited April 2014

Hello,

You may check this tutorial: http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html

If there's no such a feature, maybe you are using the free version.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• Just wanted to say what a brilliant bit of software this is.  I have to convert a 2TB MBR volume attached to one of our production 2008 R2 servers to GPT - which contained a lot of critical data.  Although i ensured I had a current backup before I did the conversion with AOMEI I was still a little nervous about using the convert to GBT. Anyway I'm happy to say this worked like a charm and the volume was quickly converted to GPT which allowed me to increase the size beyond 2TB, and without any data loss!  THanks v much AOMEI!

• You are welcome!image

• I had installed a new 1 TB hard disk and set it up as a MBR disk. I found that the Windows 7 installer came up with the message: "on EFI systems Windows can only be installed to GPT disks". Your product saved me a lot of work as I was able to convert the disk to GPT without losing about 300 GB of data on another partition. However your own help file suggests that for disks less than 2 TB one should use MBR rather than GPT. Because Microsoft are insisting (unnecessarily) that we use GPT this advice should be changed.

• Also having a problem - have 2T drive set up with W7 (which automatically created the partition [only one] under GPT. This is an external USB. Need to read it on XP. Tried to convert, in XP, to MBR and get 'Operation cancelled, infomation code: 45, failed to initialize disk.'

Here's the AOMEI logs, there is nothing opened which should have locked the drive [no Computer Management, etc...].

==========================User Operations==============================
    1.Convert to GPT
        Hard Disk:        4
         Disk Size:        1.82TB

=======================================================================

[87      ]optcore.cpp(6100): Init disk style fail.(Error Code:87)
    [2       ]optcore.cpp(6798): Failed to Init Disk in _ConvertMbrGpt.
    [2       ]operation.cpp(3033): Failed to GetPart in UnlockTask.
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////
    Sorry, the current operation has been canceled!
    Information Code: 45
    Description: Failed to initialize this disk.
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////
    [21      ]disk.cpp(207): Failed to IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY. Disk Index: 1
    [0       ]vol.cpp(582): Failed to GetPartitionNumber.
    [0       ]vol.cpp(456): Failed to GetPartitionNumber.
    [2       ]vol.cpp(1112): Failed to GetVolumeDevice in IsSystemVolume.
    [0       ]vol.cpp(582): Failed to GetPartitionNumber.
    [2       ]vol.cpp(1112): Failed to GetVolumeDevice in IsSystemVolume.
    [6       ]ntfsstd.cpp(96): Send FSCTL_GET_NTFS_VOLUME_DATA Control Code failed.

• Hello to all,

Hi, rmacheshire, thanks for your feedback. I will record your suggestion.

Hi cfieser, as for the your problem, have you tried restart the computer and retry?

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• Hi,

I am just starting with AOMEI Backupper (v2.0.1) and AOMEI Partition Assistant (v5.5) so I am probably making some mistakes using the product on a Toshiba laptop withWin8.1.

Backupper was used to perform Disk Backup of a 1000 GB HDD containing ~60GB including allpartitions, and this appeared to work OK.

Next, Restore was attempted to copy the image to a 256GB SSD. In the next few clicks this message appeared.

Note: The source disk containsover 3 partitions. Disk Restore only supports to

restore 3 partitions at most fromGPT disk to MBR disk. You could use Partition

Restore to restore the remainingpartitions to this destination disk.

This was accepted and an attempt to add the other partitions failed. It probably is because the destination disk was MBR instead of GPT. So many attempts were madethat the questions that follow are limited the items I am more sure about.

1) Why doesAOMEI (Backupper or PA) show 5 partitions while Win8.1 Disk Manager indicates 4?

2) Why doesDisk Restore allow up to 3 partitions while this link (http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html) states MBR supports 4 partitions.

3) This link (http://www.backup-utility.com/features/disk-restore.html) shows successful Restore of 4 partitions. The Toshiba laptop has 5 partitions (per Backupper), and I could probably eliminate recovery partition, but the message still Backupper still only allows 3 of 4 partitions. A difference between Standardand Pro versions was not found. What is the correct understanding?

MarkinID

• edited July 2014

Oop! Thought the post message was an error code... catcha

• Markid Id,

2) Why doesDisk Restore allow up to 3 partitions while this link (http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html) states MBR supports 4 partitions.

In fact, AOMEI Backupper can restore up to 4 partitions from GPT to MBR disk, but after restoring, the MBR disk has already contained 4 primary partitions, you will not be able to create new partitions on the disk at all unless you convert it to GPT again or convert the disk to dyanmic disk. Considering the problem, to allow to create new partitions on the disk, currently Disk Restore only allow up to 3 partitions restoring from GPT to MBR disk.

Of course, AOMEI will improve the point and support for over 3 partitions restoring from GPT to MBR disk. Thank you!