Home Suggestions and Feedbacks

Not so much bugs, but usability problems.

Greetings from Australia.

I have been trying out Backupper both vers 1.6 and 2.0 and found some things I think should be improved upon.

1. I fairly quickly ran up against a problem with the Home tab backups list. If I did a backup and then either moved or changed the path for the file, I could not connect with it again. Meaning for one, that I could no longer do an incremental or differential backup based upon that file.
Eventually I found a comment in this forum of a work around at http://www.disk-partition.com/forum/discussion/120/the-folder-doesn039t-exist-or-cannot-be-accessed-how-to-reload-images . But it doesn't mention you first need to delete the old backup item in the Home tab list!
This is NOT a good way of doing things, it should be much easier and even possible to find how to relink a file with a bit of looking around.

2. In my testing I attempted to run a full disc backup of my test PC by simply selecting Disc Backup on the Backup tab . But, because in part an item on the Home screen was already selected I ended up with an incremental backup of one partition. Apparently I should have first selected the Add button on the Home tab to create a new backup scheme.
How this should be done should be much more clearly shown, or a user just ends up frustrated.

3. My test PC is set up with a PC monitor screen and an external TV. When the program launches it ends up straddled between the 2 screens and I have to drag it back to the 1st screen. Also, it would be helpful to be able to enlarge the size of the window partially or fully to the full size of the monitor when more detail is listed.

4. The English in the program and in the help files is not the best, but is mostly understandable. The hardest I have found to understand though is on the Merge Images page under the Utilities tab in the program. It is very difficult to understand what you should do here.
I suggest you need a person fluent in English to review all English used and to make this as clear as possible, or people will just give up trying.

5. I suggest you consider a separate free utility you can use to mount a backup image on a computer without the full Backupper installed. This would be helpful where the contents of a backup might need to be explored on another computer elsewhere.

6. I suggest it would be useful to have a time remaining display included in any task progress windows. Yes, these are never very accurate, but at least we would know roughly how long before we should come back after lunch or dinner etc!

Comments

• Hello peppie,

First, thank you so much for your kind feedbacks. I will forward your message to our development staff, please keep tuned in the updates in our program, I believe they will optimize it in the future.

Second, regarding the second question, could you explain more what your opinion is? Maybe you mean that the information of every option provided is not clear or enough.

Regarding the third question, we feel sorry, currently we are not going to solve it, we may optimize compatiblity for multi moniter in the future.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team
  • Hello Kim

You ask for more information on my second point, I will try to explain better.

Please remember I am still not too familiar with this program, so what I say is partly that I am not sure how the designers intended us to use it.

When I tried to run a full disc backup I assumed all I needed to do was to select the tab at the right hand side for Backup and then select full disc and go from there. I am sure I selected all here correctly, but for some reason the backup that happened was for only one of the 5 partitions on this hard drive.

The only reason I can think why this happened is that a previous backup for that one partition was the one highlighted at that time on the Home tab and maybe the program somehow decided that was the backup I wanted to do.

I have just tried to duplicate the problem by doing exactly the same thing, but this time it worked ok. So I really am not sure if it is a bug or not.

My other point though is that in looking at the interface I am not clear on just how you are supposed to create a new backup and/or profile. The home tab has a small button which seems to invite you to use this to create a new profile, but there is also direct access via the Backup tab to apparently create a new backup that way.

Is this saying that there is more than one way to create and run a new backup? Because to me it is not very clear just by looking at the main program GUI interface just how some things should be done.

I would think that it should be possible to see how to do most things the program is designed for by just looking over the interface and reading the brief comments and instructions there. The help files should only be needed once a user has a basic feel for what the program does and generally how it works.

So, there is possibly a bug here, but also it seems to me to pointed out a problem with the useability and clarity of the GUI interface. And my comments on the help files and clarity of the English is much the same.
  • Sorry, I just realised in my post above that in the 3rd paragraph I meant to refer to the tabs at the LEFT side of the interface.
  • Firstly, congratulations on this fine piece of software

I agree with much of what peppie has to say above - and then some

You seem to be competing directly with Acronis Trueimage therefore you need to adopt much of what they do right (they do some things wrong as well)

1. Compression is a big advantage and Acronis gives a visual representation of the approximate size difference in the three compression levels. You get very little reduction in size going to maximum compression. Show the user this information.

2. When selecting a destination, the dialogue box is confusing when the text field at the bottom says "File name" and the "Files of type:" says "Folder only". Acronis allows users to input a filename.

3. As posted elsewhere you must find a way to stop network backups being split into pieces.

4. Using the Linux bootable media I could not access a network share or NAS device

• Thank you peppie, dt0x.
    Your proposal is very great.
    AOMEI Backupper 2.0 will stop network backups being split into pieces.
    In the next upgrade, Backupper will support to use hostnames to access network.
  • A bit off topic but the reason I have double posts is that when i submit I get a captcha error and then I fill out the captcha again as requested... hoila... two posts  :(  

• Hello....

Just installed AOMEI Backupper 2.0 Free and it works like a charm. The main window is really easy to understand and I did my backup in just a few minutes. I am not a techy or geek so I appreciate the simplicity of this program for people like me that just wannt to backup the PC and done. Thanks so much for such an easy solution.......

• edited April 2014

I see that a few people have reported a few issues with the program's operation. I have not encountered any so far and just have praise for a job well done. I wish you success in resolving them and hoping for an update fix for the bugs.

• edited April 2014

Good software and easy to use.... thanks for a job well done.....

• edited April 2014

Hello melenool,

Thank you so much for your approval and encouragement. Your understanding and support mean a lot to us. As for the reported issues, some of theose issues may be caused by specific computer circumstance and these problem may can be solved. However, one error may be based on several factors, so we cannot
    list out of all the solution currently.

Once again, thank you so much for your understanding and support.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• dt0x,

If your backup is larger than 10GB, do NOT turn of file splitting. Windows has a problem transfering files over 10GB over the network where the transfer speed will slow to a crawl after awhile (which is why Acronis is SO slow). For example, I have a gigabit network. If I do NOT split my archive (which ends up being in the 450GB range), I will start out at around 300Mb/s but, by the time I get to the end, will be at around 30Mb/s. If I DO let the archives split, I stay at the 300Mb/s the whole time, GREATLY reducing the time it takes to do a backup. I am able to do a full backup of 460GB across the network in 4 hours and 15 minutes. The same backup takes nearly 8 hours if I don't split the archives.

You can use the task manager to watch network traffic and you will see the downwards curve as a non-split backup progresses.

Hope this helps!

Rog

• Hello Rog,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will report it to our development staff. 

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• Hi,

I'm new to your forum but I'm not new to your software. Your Backupper is fantastic, especially the restore function which is very accurate and very fast.

I just have one gripe, the backup speed! I only get 300 kb/s which drops away during the backup. I see from previous post some are getting 300 Mb/s, any idea why there is such a discrepency.

I'm running Windows 7 pro 32 bit with 3 GB memory and also 3 Gb readyboost. At the moment it's going to take 10hrs for an incremental backup and unfortunately my location sees frequent power cuts during extreme weather, such as now! So if the power goes I lose the backup.

Maybe an idea for a future enhancement: an option to temporarily save partially completed backups and then allow one to continue from where they left off.