Home Suggestions and Feedbacks

Virtual Machines

I have tried this in two different virtual machine hypervisors - VMWare VSphere 5.5 , and ProxMox using KVM.
I installed Windows 7 in the VM. It installed no problem. I installed Backupper. All OK. I then made a full disc image (there was only one virtual disc). I then created a new VM with the same specification and tried to restore the image. It did restore, but at the last minute I got an error message that Backupper was unable to change the drive letter. This happened on both hypervisors. The error message suggested using Partition Manager to try and change the letter, but the option was greyed out. Has anyone else had problems restoring a virtual machine?

Comments

• Hello AndyL,

About your problem, I have to say sorry that currently our software doesn't support dissimilar hardware restore (restore system to another computer) or even you restore to another VMware on the same host, it may not be boot either. On the other hand, you may boot from an universal Winpe tool to change the drive letter.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team
  • Thanks for the reply. However the restore is not to dissimilar hardware. It's from one virtual machine to another one with exactly the same specification. The hardware, although virtual, is exactly the same. I have done this many times with other products - Acronis, Clonezilla, and a few others and the virtual machine will boot as expected. I have tried to change the drive letter using Partition Manager from a PE boot disk, but the option to change the drive letter was greyed out.
  • edited April 2014

Hi AndyL,

I have to say sorry, currently our software cannot guarantee the operation you mentioned could work. Maybe, AOMEI Backupper still have a little long way to go when comparing to some of the mature software, but we will keep making effort to improve our program. We also welcome any of your questions and suggestions when you use our software, so that we can make our software more convenient and practical.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• I have tested Aomei backupper 1.6 exactly like Andyl (with VmWare), but for me it worked perfectly.

• Thank you so much for your proval, Chris!

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team