Home Suggestions and Feedbacks

Partition Assistant via PE - sometimes wants to use PreOs. Suggestion - silent mode?

Hello.

This is a bug report and a suggestion :)

We use disk imaging within our school via a WinPE3.1 environment.
When restoring our disk image from a "normal" hard drive to a Lenovo/Toshiba laptop which has Hitachi HGST 4K drives, we need to run a partition realignment.

As a test, I've copied Partition Assistant to a network drive so I can run it from there.

When I do, it sometimes says I need to run in PreOS mode to complete the process, and sometimes it'll just do it. Which seems inconsistent?

That's the bug report.

I'm not bothered if it needs to run in PreOS mode, but I was wondering if it might be possible to have a "silent" mode for PA?

Something like either a set of command lines, or perhaps an "answer" file so that we can instruct it to

PartitionAssist.exe /drive=C: /action=realign /size=4096 /reboot=no

The reason for the reboot=no is to prevent it from prompting to immediately reboot if the realignment is being done by PreOS.

I need that because our disk imaging is done via a series of scripts, and the server doesn't always see that the script which launched PartitionAssist has finished if PA reboots.

Comments

• Dear ERCTech,

We are so sorry for the late reply. As for the problem you refer to, I want to verify that when run the partition realignment, the program will lock the target partition. During the process it will first try to close the live application running from this partition for protecting your data. However, if the program cannot close the application or you have pagefile on this partition, it will require Pre-OS to complite the operation. In addition, there are some other operations must to be completed in restart mode, including align/move system partition, clone system drive.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team