Home Suggestions and Feedbacks

Restore problem

Hello, I've just made a system backup of my
Windows 7 Installation, which has 2 partitions (the boot partition and
the system/data partition)

I've erased my disk to try Linux
and now I'm trying to restore previous Win 7 system image with windows
PE boot disk created with AOMEI Backupper.

When I try to restore (system restore), AOMEI Backupper in
WinPE says that partition is TOO SMALL (btw the destination disk is
completely blank, no partition on it). But how it is possible? Original source and destination are the same disk!

How can I get back my system?

Thank you

Comments

• edited February 2014

Hello maiux,

We are so sorry for the problem you
    encountered. As the parameters of the source partition have changed, the program
    will recalculate the parameters, therefore it may cause this problem.

In your situation,please follow the steps:

1. Click the "Restore"option of a corresponding backup under the "Home" tab.

Home Restore

2. Answer "Yes", you would like todo a system restore.

3. Tick off the box of "restore to another location" and select the backup in the list, like in the picture below:

4. Click Next to continue, after that, in the next screen, select the 931.51GB disk as destination.

5. In the next window, click "Editionthe size of partiton" in the left corner

6. In the next windows, move your mouse pointer to the right slid bar and then drag it left-towards to shrink this partition a little.

7. Finally, click OK and start the restore

If you have any further qustions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• Ok, I got it working: I restored manually every partition, after creating them using DISKPART. Next I fixed BCD via command line tools.

I've never got this problem because I've restored system image while previous disk layout (partitions) was existing on disk: backupper behaviour was fine. Now, starting with a clean disk, backupper has to recalculate partitions and fails.

So let me share an idea about backupper's design: when restoring a system image, backup must FIRST recreate the partition layout (offset, size, signatures, etc) and THEN recover partition contents. Maybe this is the simplest way to get it working.

If you want, forward it to development dept.

• Hi maiux,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you solved the probelm. And I will forward your advise to our developers.

Once again, we are so sorry for the current incovenience. We will keep making efforts to improving this program. Please keep tuned in the updates of our products.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• edited February 2014

I created full backup partition C (Win 8.1 system files and data) and than I restore it.

I used always bootable USB key of AMOEI.

Then after restoration, when windows booted, it showed me notice: 'Windows reparing', and then win started OK with restored partition.

When I backuped windows C data partition and another partition windows (active&boot 100MB FAT32 partition) then windows crash after restoration. It showed me screen with possibility to repair, but every button for repair showed me Error.

The same Error I got when I backuped and restored all windows partitions: C+Active&Boot 100MB+ 128MB unlocated space + 300MB recovery partition.

Should I try cluster per cluster backup or colne disk backup?

• Hello peering,

As for your problem, you may first run chkdsk n: /f (where n replaces drive letter) to repaire your source partition and then redo backup and restore. BTW, if you just want to replace the disk, you can use Partition Assistant Standard Edtion--Migrate OS function to replace your disk.

Best Regards,

Kim

• edited March 2014

I tried sector by sector backup and sector by sector restore all partition and windows crashed again. I wanted to try Migrate OS in Partition Assistance Pro, but in wizard missing step 'Save to one file'. I doesn't want to backup to unlocated space in next harddisk, because second harddisk I use in the same laptop.

I tried backup partition in clonezilla, but it nothing save into my harddisk.

So, now I cannot backup all windows partition, only C data partition I backup with AOMEI backupper. If crash all windows, so I install new and than I restore C data partition.

• I'm pissed off, you stated your software can convert ntfs to fat32 without losing data!!! Well it did not work and I lost every photo I had on my external hd, many from years ago including those of my brother who passed away. I tried to attempt a recovery and nothing. I am really pissed. I'm not sure if this is the right place but I will put this same message in your other forums.

• Hi peering,

I don't know which featuer you used to backup your C:. If you use Partition Backup, after you restore it it cannot boot, since the boot configuration files are saved in another separated partition. So you should use the System Backup feature or as I mentioned before use the Migrate OS function of Partition Assistant.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us back.

Best Regards,

Kim

• Hello kangroo,

We so sorry for the problem you encountered. Could you please give us a detailed description of the problem you encountered? Did you receive any error message while you conver the disk? Please send us the information, so that we can analyze what the problem is.

Currently, you may use TestDisk to try to recover your data, it is afree data recovery software. It can be free download from this site: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Below is the stepby step tutorial:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Once again, we sincerely apologize for the trouble.

Best Regards,

Kim,

• Hi Kim,
    I want to backup system partitions to one file, so I cannot use the Migrate OS function of Partition Assistant.
    I will test TestDisk.
  • TestDisk include Photorec -good software for recovering deleted data.
    TestDisk long time create image (without compressing ) and I don't know how recover image and it doesn't include live bootable CD.