Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper USB boot stick gets 0xc0000428 error code

After an automatic windows update, my PC screen was flashing on and off, with Win+ keys and app icons not working, however, on Ctrl Alt Del, Task Manager is stable. From looking at task master it seems to the Explorer folder that is going in and out of suspense with the flashing screen.

I undid all updates and screen still flashing etc.  I did a disk restore using Backupper. This appeared to go fine but on Windows 11 start-up, reloaded update and same flashing screen etc. On restarting PC with Backupper USB boot stick that I made when installing Backupper, I get error code 0xc0000428 – digital signature could not be verified. On restarting in Windows to stop digital signatures, F8 no longer working to get into repair system plus keyboard and mouse not working on Aomei/Windows choice screen, so always goes straight to windows.

Help please!

Comments

• I failed to mention that if I can get Aomei Backupper running again, I have recent but older backups without the updates,both system and disk, which I can restore.
  • "After an automatic windows update, my PC screen was flashing on and off, with Win+ keys and app icons not working, however, on Ctrl Alt Del, Task Manager is stable. From looking at task master it seems to the Explorer folder that is going in and out of suspense with the flashing screen."

@DB1 - interesting.  My main systems (Windows 11 Build 22621) is doing the same thing after the recent update.  At this point it's looking like a One Drive sync issue.  Sorry, I can't help with your Backupper problem.
  • @DB1, You can't directly run AOMEI Backupper under Windows?"I undid all updates and screen still flashing etc.  I did a disk restore using Backupper. "---How did you do the restore? You can't do it again?
  • I used the restore function on my Backupper pro USB stick to restore the disk image from the latest disk backup onto the primary SSD.

I have tried uisng earlier disk backups and also tried copying the disk image onto the secondary data HDD. The BIOS is now called EUFI on this PC and more complicated than I can understand, but has a button where I can select and force it to boot using a particular disk or USB. Whichever disk or date of back up is used, it gives the same 0xc0000428 error message.

Is there such a thing as a boot file and if so where is it and what is it called?  My guess is that if there is a boot file, I need to replace it with one that has boot authentication disabled. 

There is a boot repair shown on the web page for AOMEI Partition Assistant , which also has a bootable media. Could that be used to disable the boot authentication in the boot file in the restored image? 

I tried reloading the original Windows 11 onto the HDD but the Windows stick could not do so, as it could not identify the correct partitioning. Is this what the AOMEI Partition Assistant does? My thinking was that if I can get a working copy of windows up, it may be able to replace any boot file in the recovered image, if there is one, or it might give me access to the changing of the boot up options, in order to disable the authentification on booting.

I am hoping that someone more knowledgible than I am might know how I resolve all this.

Thanks

• AOMEI support sent me a link to a boot repair tool which I downloaded onto a USB. I have emailed them a few days ago to ask how to use it, as it is not a bootable media type programme, but I have not had a reply yet.

@WhatADog have you had any joy resolving this flashing screen as I have a neighbour who has now got the same problem after the latest automatic Windows update. He uses Windows 10.
  • @DB1, Did you restore to the original disk that you created backup from? Or restore to a new disk? or restore to a new computer?
    And, could you boot the computer from WinPE and then do the restore again? If the restored system still can't boot, please take a photo of the boot error so that we check it further.
    And, please boot into PE, and then take a screenshot of Disk Lisk so that we check the restored disk.
  • Update: Some really nice people from AOMEI's tech team spent a few days working remotely on my PC, trying to resolve this, but sadly without success. Then, just over a week ago, I got a message from AOMEI to say that "Currently, the technicians are checking this issue. Once there is any update, we will keep you posted" and I have not heard from them since. Even though I have been able to keep connected with my iPad, I felt that after two and a half weeks, I could not wait any longer to get back up and running on my PC and so the rebuild started.

I have loaded windows from scratch and then loaded the software I use. I have retrieved my data using the AOMEI Backupper "explore image" tool and passwords from my passwords storage software (am I glad I had this in use!). I am also now running EaseUS backup alongside AOMEI Backupper, as part of my backup plans, just in case history repeats itself. I have also slimmed down my documents folder so it fits into my One Drive account. This means that I can immediately access these regularly used files from another PC, if mine ever goes down again.

If there is a good thing that has come out of this, it is that I am no longer as tech unaware as I was, having had to look up so much basic stuff about to find out about backups, boot files, BIOS, UEFI, partitioning, etc.