Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot delete virtual drive created by Backupper

I am using AOMEI Backupper Standard FREE 7.2.0
Yesterday when looking at the backup files on a removable disk, I double-clicked on the most recent backup file and the option to view the backuped files one by one by creating virtual drives appeared.  I tried that and in fact, the individual files are now visible on my PC. However I do not want these virtuals drives to be around, and try to delete them. They appear in the WIN10 file explorer, but not on the disk management tool; so via WIN10 this elimination is not possible.
The instructions given by AOMEI Backupper: "go to "Tools" -> Explore Image" and then delete the virtual drives requires the PRO version which I do not have. Imho the access to the option "Explore Image" and create the virtual drives was a bug from the start: this function is limited to the paid version while I have the free one, and I should never have been able to access this function from the start.
Is there any solution to get rid of these virtual drives? - I am not willing to buy a license just for that.

Comments

• edited March 2023
    I found a workaround.  The virtual drives are mounted on the external HDD drive. Disconnect this external drive from the PC, restart / reboot, and the virtual drives are gone.  They also do not re-appear if I plug in again the external HDD.  Not very elegant but it woks ;)
  • @KlausE, Generally, when you reboot the computer, the mounted virtual drives will be removed automatically.
  • After mounting the volumes with Backupper > explore image, the normal way to conclude the operation is to detach. I understand that if the user powers down the PC, it will detach the images automatically. How much more risk is there of an error if the user uses the power down method? There are many ways to do things in a PC that usually work, but some methods have more risk of causing a problem than others. For example, during a Windows Update, I could have 30 applications running at the same time, and most of the time it will be fine, but having 30 applications open during Windows Update is a method with a higher risk of causing errors.
    My question is: is using the power down method of detaching .ADI images a higher risk method than manually detaching them in Backupper? Thank you.
  • @AiArtisan, It is safe to remove the mapped virtual partitions via rebooting the computer. It doesn't affect the .ADI images.
  • I am also using AOMEI Backupper Standard FREE 7.2.0.

However, I have an SSD drive and no matter how many times I shut down and restart, I still have the same extra drive created by the 'Explore Image' link under the backup drop down. 

In addition, now when I reinsert the USB drive having the backup, it goes to another drive letter, which further makes in impossible to replicate the situation, because I get a 'Unable to get the backup information' error when trying to access the backup to view the 'Explore Image' link as I did before through the AOMEI user interface.

So I can't clear the extra 'Explore Image' drive and cannot use the backup created that caused the 'Explore Image' drive to be created.

Perhaps, I'm missing something or there is some form of work around to be able to access my backup again. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I would like to get rid of the virtual drive but have no idea how to do it. I've spent a couple of hours researching and trying things. Again, any help would be appreciated. 
  • @Mikeb4im, Generally, when you shut down and restart the computer, the mounted virtual partitions will be removed. Please try to power down the computer and boot it to check again. If the virtual partitions still aren't removed, please take screenshots of Windows Explore, Windows Disk Management and Device Manager so that we check.
    As for another problem, you can modify the drive letter of the USB drive. Or, you can manually browse and select the backup image file from the USB drive.