Home AOMEI Products Support

WinPE Builder 2.0 the added drivers do not work

Hello, thank you team for creating WinPE Builder 2.0, overall a great software. Unfortunately I am writing because although I am able to add many disk drivers into Partition Assistant Live, and Backupper Live, I cannot add any drivers to WinPE Builder 2.0.

I have followed the directions from your website. I have downloaded NVMe disk drivers from Intel and other companies, but after I add them into WinPE Builder 2.0, they never work in the final USB or ISO.

Why am I able manually add drivers in Partition Assistant Live, and Backupper Live, but not in WinPE Builder 2.0? Thank you.

Comments

• @BrutalMoose2, did you mean that you add the same drives when you create WinPE bootable media via AOMEI Backupper and AOMEI Partition Assistant, it works (disks can be recognized under WinPE) normally?
    But, AOMEI PE Builder can't list disks?
  • Hello Admin, yes that is correct. I have tested this on about 10 PCs with 10 internal NVMes, and it can detect them in Aomei Partition Assistant WinPE USB & Aomei Backupper WinPE USB, but it does not detect them in Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0.

Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0 can only detect SATA & External NVMes connected through USB. It never, ever detects internal NVMes at all. I have tried 9 different NVMe drivers, including Intel VMD drivers. It never detects them. Thank you.
  • @BrutalMoose2, WinPE Builder 2.0 might be using a older WinPE image with limited driver support/compatibility.

Check to see if the version are the same in the working environment vs. the non-working environment.
    maybe:
    ver
    or
    dism /online /Get-CurrentEdition

In the non-working environment, you can try to manually add the driver to see if it works, or if you get an error that gives an explanation (substitute your drive files info for inside the brackets):
    pnputil -i -a <path_to_driver_files>\<driver_file>.inf

• edited December 2022
    "Check to see if the version are the same"
    What do you mean by "the version"?
    If I boot WinPE Builder 2.0 in a PC with SATA SSD, and then later I boot WinPE Builder 2.0 into a PC with an NVMe, are you suggesting WinPE Builder 2.0 is running a different "verison" of itself? I'm sorry I don't understand what you are trying to say. It seems unlikely you are guessing that I am using 2 different versions of WinPE Builder, as the current version is many years old, the chances of anyone having an older version is not something to be considered. I typed "ver" into both PCs on WinPE Builder, and they are both the same. Please give a full elaboration on what you meant by that, it seems unlikely that you meant a different WinPE Builder version.
    On my PC with NVMe, I performed the steps you suggested with pnputil -i -a, and included the correct path to a known good NVMe driver, but unfortunately it says pnputil is not recognized.
    The drivers had already been added manually using the process outlined in the WinPE Builder program. Please read all of the post.
    You have much more knowledge about the Cmd, and drivers than I, perhaps you could successfully test a solution to this, on your own machine, and then post it after you have proven steps? WinPE Builder is much better than the standalone BU, and PA. It would be great if we could work together to find a solution, to help everyone. Please include a link to an article in your response, that is best. It would be great if a high tier tech like you showed us novices the way.   :)
    Thank you.
  • edited December 2022
    Thank you for your reply, jeverett, forgot to say that.
  • I've seen drivers that don't work if added to the image with PE Builder, but do work if injected later using DISM.  I don't know why some drivers fail, but having just one driver needing DISM, I find it simpler to use DISM for all driver additions.  (Actually I use a powershell script, but I think powershell just calls dism.)  PE Builder isn't scriptable, and needs to be run whenever a new version of Backupper or PA comes out, so I like to minimize the manual settings changes in PE Builder.

As for NVME support, I inject Dell Latitude 3410 NVME drivers (needed for work before I retired) into my images and NVME works on my Asus VivoBook laptop.

Try CDing to the directory containing NVME drivers and running DRVLOAD whatever.inf on all the .inf files.  If this makes NVME work, you'll know that you have a sufficient set of drivers and the problem is getting them into the image.
  • @Wssddc, AOMEI PE Builder temporarily doesn't have the update plan. It might be unable to completely load all drivers. So, you can use DISM to export and add drivers to WinPE.
  • @AIArtisan@BrutalMoose2 originally wrote:
    "I have tested this on about 10 PCs with 10 internal NVMes, and it can detect them in Aomei Partition Assistant WinPE USB & Aomei Backupper WinPE USB, but it does not detect them in Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0."

He should check the WinPE version in "Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0" vs the WinPE version in Aomei Partition Assistant WinPE USB & Aomei Backupper WinPE USB. He will likely find "Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0" is using a different (older) version of WinPE, and if so, it probably doesn't support NVMe drives/drivers.

"On my PC with NVMe, I performed the steps you suggested with pnputil -i -a, and included the correct path to a known good NVMe driver, but unfortunately it says pnputil is not recognized."

On your PC with an internal NVMe, booted into the "Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0" WinPE environment, (drop to a command line and) try loading the available NVMe drivers manually with:
    pnputil -i -a <path_to_driver_files>\<driver_file>.inf
    look for error that might confirm non-compatibility.
  • edited January 2023
    On my PC with internal NVMe, I booted into the Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0, dropped to a command line, and tried loading the available NVMe driver manually with the steps you suggested with pnputil -i -a <path>, and included the correct path to a known good NVMe driver .INF, but unfortunately it says there is an error: pnputil is not recognized. Of course I replaced your <brackets> with the path to the NVMe .INF driver file. The .INF file has been tested in many other situations as working, it works everywhere except Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0.
    Jeverette you gave the same suggestion twice, that is not helpful. Before your reply, please test the instructions yourself in the scenario described in Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0, with an internal NVMe and post the screenshot, or reply with something new. Also please confirm for yourself that during the Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0 USB media creation, that an NVMe cannot be manually loaded during creation using their standard process. Thank you.
  • Looks good to me in AOEMI Backupper repair disk...

Like I said, long ago:
    "Check to see if the version are the same in the working environment vs. the non-working environment."
    If your version is different:
    "WinPE Builder 2.0 might be using a older WinPE image with limited driver support/compatibility."

Compare with your environment and troubleshoot appropriately.
  • edited January 2023
    OP is asking about Aomei WinPE Builder 2.0, not Backupper, please note those are different products.
    “I am able to add many disk drivers into Partition Assistant Live, and Backupper Live”
    So that information was already out there.
    If anyone has successfully injected an NVMe driver into WinPE Builder 2.0, please post the screenshot from WinPE Builder 2.0. Use the link below to download and install the software.