Home AOMEI Products Support

problem when trying to merge drives

edited December 2013 in AOMEI Products Support

i am dual booting window 7 and 8.1 in my labtop now. i tried to merge k:win8.1(30GB) with a unllocated 10 GB space. In windows 8.1 OS, i finished the merge operation that i learned tutorial from http://www.disk-partition.com/windows-8/shrink-volume-windows-8.html. after applied it, the software asked me to restart system to do further operation in preOS status. Is this a regular procedure? because neither the turorial nor the video("resize partion in windows 8" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PofFTiMbCKM) i watched shows that i need to restart OS. whats more, my labtop is kind of sucks that it shuted down in the middle of the process in preOS status. then i am not able to start windows 8.1 system any more. the error showed is "error: the file is missing or contain errors. file: windows/system32/winload.". Then i started window 7 OS, but the drive (F:game)which the unllocated 10GB space was shrinked from can not be opened any more. Can you please help me solve the problem? it is really urgent.

Comments

• edited December 2013

Hello petergu,

We are so sorry for the problem you encountered. The operation needs to be completed in PreOS mode may because of your particular computer circumstance. However, there is a Extend Partition Wizard which can help you extend system partition without rebooting. And usually to extend system partition, if there are no live applications and pagefile in the partitions which is located after system partition, you can extend system partition without rebooting.

As regards winload missing, since the operation been interrupted, so it may cause this error. We are so sorry that we don't have an efficient way to solve it. You may try the suggestion on this thread.

As regards the F: drive, what is the current status in Windows Disk Management and in AOEMI Partition Assistant. You may use Partition Assistant to clone this partition to another health place as backup, or maybe after that you can access the cloned drive. 

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• thanks for quick response. in AOEMI partion Assistant, the status of F: drive is none(if it is what you were asking for); in windows Disk Management, the status is healthy. i have managed to copy F:drive to a unallocated drive shrinked from H: drive.however, i am not able to access the new I: drive(which F drive was copied to). what else can i do?

For windows winload problem, i read the suggestion on the thread and tried it but i dont think it is useful for me because the content of my BCD file seems fine rather than the error content showed in his case. ill try to reboot windows8.1 instead this time. 

• Hi petergu,

Sorry, maybe I should say the properties of F drive, like what is the current filesystem and does it show as empty or not. You may take a screenshot at post it here.

For the Winload problem, maybe you could first backup your data in system drive to other drive with your windows recovery tool, after that reinstall OS. Once again, we sincerely sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• hi

here is the properties of F: : filesystem is NTFS; capacity is 68.8GB; used space is 14.53GB; free space is 51.26GB;flag is logical; status is None. The properties showed in diskManagent and AOEMI partion Assistant are the same. just let you know, there was a time that the properties showed in diskManagement said F:drive was empty before i made some actions(cant remember) via AOEMI. Thanks again for such quick response. 

• edited December 2013

Hi petergu,

You could try chkdsk command line to fix this problem. Clisk Start, in the search box, type in CMD and then run it as administrator. Next in the window, type in chkdsk f: /f press enter.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• i have already tried chkdsk, but it doesnt seem working. in fact, it shows the drive is fine. yestoday, i splited F: drive into two parts, F:(full) and I:(empty). before i copied contents of F: to I:, i could access I: drive. but after i copied it, i cannot access I: any more. what even worse is that i cannot reinstall win8.1 OS(at least not the way i did it). it says""This upgrade path is not supported. Please close Setup and re-launch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice.". " in the middle of the process. i am really lost now...

• edited December 2013

• Hi petergu,

We are so sorry for the problem you encountered. For the first problem, it seems you can access F drive now, if so you try defrag this partition and run chkdsk again. After that delete "I" drive and then merge the unallocated space back to F drive or you can recreate a partition and re-test the problem. I suppose it is just a filesystem error, the chkdsk tool could fix it. 

About the second problem, have your tride format the destination partition and the retry the reinstalltion? 

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• hi

the good news is that i managed to access the F: drive now. it seems that the authority of the drive was changed somehow.but the contents in the drive are all damaged and none of them is working. 

for the win8.1 problem, i formated the partition where i installed win 8.1 but i cannot reintall win8.1 still. the same problem is still there.

authority