Home AOMEI Products Support

Can't get WinPE to recognize Realtek NIC

Hi all,

I am using AOMEI PE Builder to make an ISO. I am adding every INF file I can find that pertains to Realtek NICs but nothing I do is working. When booting into WinPE and going to PENetwork, I just get "No network cards detected!" error. 

The actual chip is a Realtek 8125BG.

I've tried the "WinPE" folder from a Realtek package, and also the Win10 x64 driver. I also used DISM++ to extract the driver a running system is using but that didn't work either.

As far as using the PE Builder, is there a way to bulk add a folder of drivers instead of adding driver INFs one at a time?

Comments

• Also, I tried the Bootable Media Builder built into Backupper (Technician License), and I added the INFs during this process as well. 

Going this route, when I boot, it boots into Backupper directly. When I go to backup, I can enter a UNC path such as \\MYNAS\Backups\, and I am presented with a dialog to enter username/password, but it doesn't seem to work. 
  • Maybe the NAS name isn't recognized - try using a numeric ip address.

PE Builder is good, but as far as I know, you have to add drivers one at a time. I make a minimal ISO with PE Builder, then inject drivers with a powershell script.  And, I've seen network drivers that I can't successfully add in PE Builder, but I can inject later.
  • @Wssddc,  Could you access and add your NAS path under the WinPE created by AOMEI PE Builder?
    "inject drivers with a powershell script."---How did you do it? Could you take screenshots so that we check it further?
  • OK, so here's what I was able to figure out....

Using the built-in Bootable Media Builder, downloading WinPE files, and adding the driver files, I made an ISO and booted PXE just fine.

The problem was when I went to pick a location for the backup, I'd type in "\\MYNAS\Backups" and hit enter. One of two things would happen. I'd get a "The file name is not valid." message, or I'd get a prompt for username and password. Entering the correct username and password would just bring it up again as if the credentials were incorrect. It didn't matter if I used "MYNAS\Username" or just "Username". 

I went to a Command window, and could ping "MYNAS" so this wasn't a DNS issue, and ipconfig showed proper network configuration.

I then manually mapped a network drive with:
    `net use R: "\\MYNAS\Backups" Password /user:Username`

This mapped a drive successfully and I was able to continue with the backup.

Just for kicks, after I did this, I was able to type "\\MYNAS\Backups" just fine in the location selection dialog. 

I then tried things again with the PE Builder, and with this tool, it seems the driver isn't being loaded at all. However, I can Run "devmgmt.msc" and manually add the driver from a USB stick, and then I get an IP address right away. After I did this, I had to do the exact same drive mapping steps above to connect to the NAS. I don't get why I can't just log into the NAS from the file selection window, or why logging in from that window doesn't work. 
  • PE Builder 2.0 does not allow for drivers to be manually included during the normal USB creation process. It may be possible to inject drivers in a different way, but I have never seen a screenshot of this. Backupper WinPE USB, and Partition Assistant WinPE USB both allow for drivers to be included during the normal creation process. You could also use Hirens Boot PE USB, and put your drivers into the "CustomDrivers" folder, that works, and Hirens has old versions of BU, PA.