Home AOMEI Products Support

Help with weird problem after using convert from ntfs to fat32

so I used Aomei NTFS to FAT32 Converter to convert without losing files
After completion I got problem with file names (not all files)
original names are became shortened and all caps and the extension lost 1 or 2 of its first letters like here

when I try to rename ONLY the extension -for example- from PN3--->png the original full name appeared on the windows message
"do you want to rename "EDUCATIO.PN3" to "Educational (2).png " even after that the name remain "EDUCATIO" but the extension corrected because i did it manually so it still remember the name somewhere

after search and ask I found that the names are converted to what called 8.3 filename (don't know if this is true)
is there a fix for this?

Comments

• @Mampm2, It seems that it is the limit of FAT32 file system. Could you try to copy a new Educational.png to the FAT32 partition and check if it will be changed?
  • thanks for the reply
    copied it and nothing changed
    please note that if I copy all the file you see in my pic and try to rename the extension as I did originally this prompt will not show for the copied files only on the original place 
  • @Mampm2, Thanks for your feedback. We have submitted the problem to our technician to test and check.
  • is there any update?
  • @Mampm2, Sorry that our technician doesn't re-product the problem. Are your all files directly saved to the root directory? All files are .png files originally? And, now you can open these pictures?
    Could you try to firstly do a backup for these files, and then try to convert the partition back to NTFS?

• Are your all files directly saved to the root directory?
    what do you mean ?
    it is on external drive consisted of 2 partitions these on one of them

All files are .png files originally?
    the mentioned in the example yes
    but there is another types has the same problem

now you can open these pictures?
    i can after rename them manually

convert the partition back to NTFS?
    I did convert it back using cmd command nothing changed

• @Mampm2, We have tested the situation. But, there is no problem. Sorry that we currently can't check the reason.