Home AOMEI Products Support

Unable to check older images

I cannot check older images, ones that were made before I updated the AOMEI software.
https://www.ubackup.com/help/check-image.html

If I click on Advanced > Check Image, a message says file is damaged or does not exist.

If I go to Home > Image > Restore, a message says file is damaged or does not exist.

If I use Tools > Check Image, a message says file does not exist or cannot be accessed.

How do I check or restore older images?
Thanks

Comments

• @Baffled99, how many backup versions are there? Please try to select other backup versions to check or restore.
  • I have 6 images total, 3 using a previous version of the software & 3 using the version I'm currently using.

The 3 images made with old software do not show up when I use the procedures mentioned above.
    The 3 images made with the current software do show up.

• @Baffled99, "3 using a previous version of the software"---Did you mean that you use old edition to create the three backup images? Are they full backup? or incremental backup? And, which edition did you use to create them?
  • All my images are full images of the C: drive. The 3 previous or first 3 images were made with AOMIE software from about a year ago. I don't recall the version but the first image was made Aug 7, 2021, therefore the software version had to be what was available on or shortly before that date.

Then I updated AOMEI software to version 6.7.0 on Nov 14, 2021 and the 3 newer images are made with that version.
  • I've now decided not to back up by making images and then, when a HD/SSD fails, having to boot the computer from a USB or DVD boot disk and labouriously restore the failed HD/SSD from the image. As has been seen in this forum, this type of restore does not always result in a bootable system, and seems to be a bit chancey.
    Instead, I keep all my files in a single large folder and, at the end of each day, I use a piece of legacy software - Laplink - to do a smart back-up onto a portable HD. This only updates the files that have changed so is quite quick.
    Then once a month or so, I make a clone of my computer HD/SSD onto a spare SSD plugged into my computer with a SATA-USB cable. With SSDs so cheap now, this has become a viable proposition.
    Then, if I suffer a HD/SSD failure, all I need to do is swap the cloned SSD for the failed one, boot my computer and use Laplink to restore all the files created or modified since I did the clone.
    Then I can deal with the failed HD/SSD at my leisure and, if it proves to be operable after formatting it to delete the failed system, I can use it to clone the SSD now in use. It also means I have a quick and sure way of dealing with ransomware, if I ever get infected, if necessary ditching the infected HD/SSD.
  • edited September 2022
    MY C :drive is a M.2 SSD & contains the OS & programs. All the data is on the D: which is a spinner HDD.

The D: data is actually more important than the C: drive because I can always restore the OS & programs. It might be a PITA to do but is possible. An image of the C: drive makes this less of a hassle.

I like the idea of cloning the SSD but not sure how that would work since the SSD is an M.2 drive. I'm presuming there are M.2 USB adapters  Price wise there's not a lot of difference between M.2 and SATA SSD drives.

How reliable is cloning an M.2 to a spinner HDD via USB? And connecting the HDD to the mobo via SATA if needed? A TB HDD can be had for around $40.

• @Baffled99, Could you try to manually select every full backup to check if it can be listed on AOMEI Backupper via the Restore feature?