Home AOMEI Products Support

Basic sync vs mirror sync

It is not clear to me what is the difference between "basic" sync and "mirror" sync of Backupper. Since both are one-way syncs and update the destination files to be the same as the source files, what is the essential difference? 

I can understand how real-time sync and how 2-way sync are different features (as their very names suggest), but I don't see how Mirror and Basic differ exactly.

Many thanks!

Comments

• @Genejockey, Basic sync will copy the source folder to the destination and update added and changed data from the source directory to the destination.
    For Mirror sync, it will also copy the source folder to the destination, but: 
    After creating a mirror synchronization task and running it once, the files in the source directory and the target directory will become exactly the same.
    If you edit the files in the source directory and then run the mirror synchronization, the files with the same name in the target directory will be overwritten/replaced by the edited files in the source directory.
    If you edit a file in the target directory and run mirror synchronization, the file will also be overwritten/replaced by the file with the same name in the source directory.
    If you run mirror synchronization after adding a file in the source directory, the file will be copied to the target directory to keep it exactly the same as the file in the source directory.
    If you add a new file to the target directory and run mirror synchronization, the file will be deleted to keep it exactly the same as the file in the source directory.
    If you delete a file from the source directory and then run synchronization again, the file with the same name in the target directory will be deleted.
    If you delete a file from the target directory and then run synchronization again, the file with the same name in the source directory will not be deleted. On the contrary, AOMEI Backupper will copy the file with the same name from the source directory to the target directory to keep the files in the source directory and the target directory exactly the same. Mirror synchronization is always based on the source directory.

• @admin

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I had to read it over a few times to determine what was then different between "mirror" and "2-way" but I can see that in Mirror, the source file will always prevail and will NEVER be changed/overwritten by a file from the target, whereas I assume 2-way in fact makes changes in either direction. So if I understand, the Basic is really a cumulative or incremental sync, whereas Mirror is a tru 1-way sync.

Many thanks for this!
  • @Genejockey, The Two-Way Sync is a feature that newly added, modified or deleted files in the source directory will be synced to the target directory, and the newly added, modified files or deleted in the target directory also will be synced to the source directory. Simply put, any changes in the source or destination directory will be synced with each other when you run the Two-Way Sync task.
    The one-way sync (both basic and mirror sync are one-way sync way) will detect the change of the source, then sync to destination. 
    As for the comparison of the sync way, please refer to here: https://www.ubackup.com/help/differences-between-syncs.html
  • edited February 23
    So what is the difference between
      a) a "mirror sync"
      b) a "basic sync" with the option "Sync the deletions in source directory to destination"

Thanks
    JL