Home AOMEI Products Support

Aomei Backupper Product Questions

Intro : The save draft option is not working I lost my questions list and thus will regenerate it iirc
Hopefully an official will step in and clarify my understanding (some are mixed with feedbacks)

1. When windows won't boot due to virus or disk crash, the docs mentioned several tools to help like a) Aoemei Backupper Recovery CD. b) Aomei Partition Recovery CD. C) Aomei PXE Boot tool. D) Aomei PE Builder 2.0 Why mentioned this many on the docs if D is the most correct answer? Please stick to one as to not confuse users
  2. When restoring to a disk, the destination disk type (MBR/GPT) must match the source disk type or not?
  3. How to view the source disk type (GPT/MBR) if I forgot which one
  4. Does the bios type (Legacy BIOS or UEFI) have to match also or could it be different when restoring?
  5.  Can I safely convert to GPT from a MBR type or vice versa without losing data; or did you need to backup your files first and reformat the disk completely?
  6. You need to mention that a Full System Backup will also backup the users' library (Downloads.Pictures/Videos. and Documents)
  7. And you have to pin the fact that user need an alternative free windows Explorer application like Q-Dir or Xplorer 2 lite in order to recover the users data by using Aomei Backupper "Explore Image" function. This nifty feature was hidden deep in Aomei forums. Bring it back from the dead lel
  8. I take it the difference between System Backup and System Clone is in the timeframe? Like in System Backup you created an .adi file to restore it back on later date, while system clone meant you had a ready to restore disk in place and wanted to do the backup and restore in one go? Correct me if im wrong :) 
  9. I had a hard time differentiating between basic sync or mirror sync. Which one is safer to use and could protect you from those crazy ransomware file encryption attacks

Comments

• @Woowooindo,
    1. Which docs did you see from? We suggest that you can use AOMEI Backupper or AOMEI PE Builder to create a WinPE bootable media, then boot the "damaged" computer from WinPE media to do restore.
    2. If you restore on the same computer that you create the backup, we suggest that you keep the destination disk type (MBR/GPT) match the source disk type. Or else, you need to change the boot mode when you boot the restored disk.
    3. When you restore the image, you can check the disk type of the disk that you back up under "Image Information".
    4. Yes. If the restored disk is GPT, you need to use the UEFI boot mode. if it is MBR, you need to select the Legacy boot mode. 
    5. Do you want to convert the restored disk after restore? If yes, you need to boot from the restored disk, then you can use our AOMEI Partition Assistant to do the conversion without losing data. Generally, we suggest that you first check the boot mode that the computer is using, then confirm if you need to convert the target disk. AOMEI Backupper can restore the backup iimage of GPT disk to a MBR (or, MBR to GPT). When you boot from the restored disk, the disk type must match the boot mode of the compputer.
    6. Full System Backup will backup all data in system partitions, including users' library in C: drive.
    7. Generally, if you explore the image on the original computer with the original account, it will doesn't need to use Q-Dir or Xplorer 2 lite to access the virtual partitions.
    8. You can understand system backup and system clone as you said. System clone will directory copy the system partitions to another disk, then you can use the disk to boot as a new disk. System backup will first create an image file, when you need it, you can restore the image file at any time.
    9. Basic sync will sync data from the source to the destination. When there is any change on the source, it will sync the change to the destination.
    Mirror sync will also sync data from the source to the destination. When there is any change on the source, it will sync the change to the destination. But, if there are some data in the destination that different with the source, when you run the mirror sync, it will delete them. For example, you add some additional files to the destination, when you run the mirror sync, these files will be deleted.